1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Test Drive & Review: FIAT Grande Punto-90 HP

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD 90 HP' started by sharma_sanjeevin, Jul 17, 2010.

1. sharma_sanjeevin

sharma_sanjeevin Regolare

Mumbai
    Grande Punto 90 HP: Promotion Started

Finally, FIAT has started the promotions for the Grande Punto 90 HP in the Print Media & Television :clap

But surprisingly, they have done away / there is no mention of the the Catchy Tagline of "No Wonder you are behind me...I am the most powerful Diesel Hatchback" Why FIAT why :confused it could have garnered a fair amount of attention from the General Public.

There was a Half page advertisement in the TOI Mumbai Edition, the pic is attached for your eyes, sorry for the pic quality, it was taken from my phone camera.

20072010(001).jpg
  2. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Vijay you have to compare apples to apples. You can't pit a 90bhp car against a 75bhp one and expect the comparo to be even. Sure there is a huge weight difference between the two cars but at the same time the difference of 15bhp and better torque will obviously make the more powerful car a better drive. At the same time, you say BS-III Swift is faster then Punto 90bhp? How is that possible? Difference in performance between BS-III and BS-IV cars is too little for such a drastic difference in performance. Are you saying that a BS-III 75bhp car outperforms a 90bhp BS-IV one?! Why don't you race a BS-III and BS-IV Swift against each other and see how much of a difference is there?

Anyway, lets not get too much into performance figures. Neither the Swift nor the Punto are performance machines. It's only in India that car companies can go blah blah over performance with a 90bhp engine! Not blaming them though. Thanks to our government's brilliant road building and traffic management abilities, even a 90bhp engine seems super powerful to us!

Fiat, thank you for the 90bhp MJD Punto. Now bring in the 150bhp T-Jet with 6 speed M/T. You may sell barely 50 units of these Punto's in India but the brilliant chassis , suspension and steering of the Punto deserves this engine.

And ya, please don't go to the EPS set up in any of your variants! Imagine launching the T-Jet Punto with EPS. Even Europeans aren't too happy with the EPS which dents your car's driveablity badly.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    I agree I can't compare 75 Hp with 90 HP but still Swift will always be compared to swift even if Puto have 1.9 or 3 Lt engines. Both the cars are great and we can't stop ourselves to compare two great cars. For a buyer it is very difficult to choose between these two enginerring marvels.

Swift BS III does 0-100 in 13.87(Autocar India) sec while BS IV does it in 16.1 secs(Carwale Roadtest). Punto 90 HP would be somewhere less than 16.1 secs and more than 13.87 secs it will be between 14-15 secs. The BS-IV swift that I compared with had done just above 10k kms and had stock tyres. The punto with the same size that of tyre compared to Swift would be even more faster.

I would too love to see T-Jet engine in Punto and Linea but sadly they would be detuned to 110 PS only but they would still be fun to drive because of the massive diesel like torque produced by them. There's a news about Powerfull Linea and Punto CNG launching by this year in todays HT. Punto T-Jet would take more time. And fiat would open 8 more dealers in north region. Fiat I am waiting for 1.6 or 1.9 MJD bring them fast I would be the first to sell my 1.3 and buy 1.6 or 1.9.

And I agree that EPS just sucks it feels like playing a Video Game. Fiat better stick on to HPS for their cars.
    Also I don't know why Swift being slower than Punto 90 HP feels quicker while driving it pushes you back into seat and the front of the car feels like it raises above but in Punto this feeling was very mild. I guess something to do with heavier wieght of the Punto and stiffer suspension of Punto. My friend who owns swift also said so and was surprised by Punto beating Swift twice once driven by me and once by him. He was saying that he dind't even realsied that he was doing 100kmph without looking at Odo and 100 in Punto was 70 of Swift.

And Punto 90 HP definitely feels quicker than my Linea Diesel(Specially in 2nd Gear).Punto was more fun to drive. Sitting inside Punto i was feeling like I am in my Linea only the color of dashboard was different. Punto feels like a Sedan while driving even turning radius was like Linea though Punto is smaller than Linea by quite a margin(Can be a -ve point in crowded areas). Plastics in Punto were better than Swift. Swift was rattling like a Rattle Snake every corner and door was rattling. Though there were no mis-fitting in Swift interiors which our beloved Punto is famous for.
  4. Grandeur

Grandeur Staff Member Janitor

Crafted For True Fan??? Wondering...who are We :confused.
  5. cartoos

cartoos

New Delhi
    Thanks for great review Mr. Sharma, it was unbiased and very good one.
  6. sharma_sanjeevin

Mumbai
    Glad you liked it :) i have tried my best to keep it detailed & unbiased. Though it is not as much detailed as i would have liked, wanted to take loads of detailed pictures & other nick nacks, but had to run for a cover as it started raining heavily :)
  7. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    we are expecting some pics of Punto in FTA without those stickers.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
  9. sharma_sanjeevin

Mumbai
    Saw the report, thanks for sharing the link Ravi.

Yes, the report seems similar to ours, that means people are recognising FIAT's effort, went in the 90 HP variant. Though some reports were contradictory, but the truth is coming out slowly :) saw Overdirve's Episode today on CNBC-TV18, they also praised the car and pointed out for the Turbo Lag & Fit & Finish Issues. Apart from these issues there was nothing to complain, they were going ga-ga over the Ride & Handling of Punto, where no other Hatch in India till date can match.
  10. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi sharma_sanjeevin,

That was a fairly objective review. Thanks.

I had earlier read the review on TBHP. I thought that it was quite biased and subjective.

Johnny