1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Terrible Experience with Zoom

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by svvickky, Nov 30, 2015.

1. svvickky

svvickky Amatore

This is not going to be one good travelogue , esp for me for all the sufferings we had after being stranded middle of road driving a scorpio taken for rental from Zoom.
    Booking Process:
    Booking was breeze as usual with 12 k paid in advance 7.1k + 5k of security deposit. Zoom is always happy to get money upfront, the pathetic policies and * # s will follow soon.
    Zoom pick up time was friday ( Nov 27th 11:30 PM and drop off at sunday ( 29th 9 AM).

Car Delivery:
    Car was already ready at the location , we went inspected car everything was good. The zoom representative asked us to take a small drive and check, in a small drive of 3 kms no issues felt. Took car home parked and was all set for morning trip to tiruvannamalai with two family my kid and 3 colleagues total of 7 ( the very reason why I went for zoom instead of my always trusted punto )

The journey starts...:
    I drove scorpio first time, (first time an SUV actually ) , when I reversed the car, I couldn't really find the half clutch as easily I could do in punto, being my first drive with Scorpio I felt its quite normal for one driving a new car.
    On the first pick up point to my colleague house, my colleague took over driving. He immediately said clutch has to released more for the car to make a move. May be zoom guys did this deliberately we were just talking on it totally unaware of whats gonna come up.
    The high was journey till karimangalam was a breeze as we didn't really use the clutch much.

Shades of clutch failure showed up its face
    My friend started complaining car is not accelarating in lower gears, he slotted the car in 2nd gear and the car wasn't really responding to accelaration. None of us in car were real automobile experts, but we could clearly feel clutch is having some issue. 20 kms from karimangalam on way to harur, the car completely gave up. We all 7 were stranded in road, luckily we had a fuel station near by also it was morning 8:30 AM. We had to enquire for any mechanic nearby, by god's grace we had a mechanic shed just 100 meters away. We called up the mechanic and he said clutch plate has to be replaced.

Now Zoom comes into picture:
    We called up zoom, we said same problem n wanted to check if we will be reimbursed for this repair . Zoom as expected said they will send their technical team, they will asses the car only if they say its mechanical failure and it didn't occur due to our faulty driving , they can think about it.
    Pathetic zoom customer car kept me on hold all the time, none picking calls. With my kid n all friends just stranded on middle of road we felt very very annoyed.
    Subsequent calls to zoom, they said a transport will be arranged for 50 kms for us, from there we are on our own, Zoom doesn't really care for its customers. The got a call from Mahindra RSA (road side assitance ). They arranged a travel for 50kms which is free of cost and the towing vehicle will tow the scorpio to nearest authorized service center, service it and then send it to bangalore.

Now will all trips planned and money of 12k paid we were left alone on our own not knowing what next to be done. We had to take another vehicle to continue our trip.

We thought zoom would atleast refund the full money 7.1k ( car rental cost )+ 5k security deposit. Zoom now clearly says they will not refund the 7.1k as per their policy and the 5k would be refunded only if its mechanical fault and not fault of the customer. This was height of looting !!

Zoom said us to take all our belongings including the cars RC + insurance + national permit with us and submit it once we return to bangalore. They really don't bother about how we will return.

We arranged our own transport from there, visited tiruvannamalai and returned bangalore for which we had to spend in addition to zoom's cost.

Where are we now..::
    Not even single call from zoom, asking are we really fine, how did we get back to bangalore ?
    Sunday morning 9 AM was the actual drop off time, and sunday from 12 PM started getting calls from zoom to return the documents, the same Zoom which was totally careless on our journey.
    I got furious and asked them status of refund, they said 5k refund is initiated and its already updated in my zoom account. Nothing more shall be done.
    The car was serviced and got back to bangalore safely, thats last update I got, When ever i talk of refund they say Mahindra's service report has to come then they can decide on it.
    Also the refund they talk is only about 5k not the 7k which i paid for which we didnt even travel 150 kms or held the car with us for even 12 hrs.

What next !!
    What next is big question now, I am yet to receive my 12k , even the 5k Is not yet credited to citrus account. So I will continue to say 12k.
    What should we do ..?? they kept asking me for car documents as the car has to be delivered to another customer sunday evening. I said unless I get refund car documents will not be submitted. I am not sure If i will end up in any legal complaints from zoom for doing this :( .

Please suggest me on what shall be done, here on.

Here are my questions and concerns:
    1. How do I proceed with zoom for full refund ?
    2. Is me holding the documents back with me right ?
    3. Will I end up in more issues (legal / what ever ) because of holding documents back ?

I am yet to write to zoom's customer care on the complete incident
  2. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    @svvickky You can be in trouble if you continue to hold their documents. After all you are not the owner of the car, so you cannot hold the documents.

What are your options now:

1. Try to settle it amicably by complaining to their customer support and talking to higher ups. This may resolve the issue without much effort if there is someone who has some customer orientation or has the patience to listen to customer and make a decision.
    2. If that does not work out you have to file a complaint in consumer forum. Before that you serve them a notice through a lawyer explaining the facts and tell them to pay the money back to you; failing which you will be forced to approach consumer forum. If they don't respond within the time in the notice you have to file a complaint in consumer forum and take it forward from there.

Hope that helps.
    prabhjot and rajks like this.
  3. svvickky

svvickky Amatore

@RaviHeg Thanks for your suggestions
    Listing the events as they happened since sunday evening

1. Got Call from zoom, saying documents has to be returned , I asked about refund again same story. I told them it wasn't my mistake, car's mechanical issue. Unless I am confirmed for full refund I won't return documents
    2. Got Call from the executive of Zoom pick up point who gave me vehicle, he was requesting that car has to be delivered to other customer please provide documents. I plainly told him this, "We got dropped in dharmapuri, then we took a bus to bangalore , in bus I lost your documents along with my bags too" , Now how you want to proceed please tell me. He understood my frustration and said he will talk on my behalf to Zoom.
    3. Monday Morning Zoom customer care called to update me that full refund of 12k is initiated and the same can be checked in App, now I can return the documents back. I said unless i see it in my bank account I am not going to return.
    4. Monday evening again the pick up point executive called me and requested documents, I requested Zoom to send an email saying, money will be refunded also citing the reason for same, then they will receive the documents in next half an hour.

Got an email and I returned documents yesterday night.
  4. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3
    @svvickky, good to know that you got your money back. I was always skeptical availing self driven rental cars, especially for long drives with family. Always I used to argue saying I am not comfortable driving an unknown car on a highway that too with family around. Many times I was tempted but somehow managed to resist the temptation. Now, your experience is an eye opener.
    Ganges likes this.
  5. sdp1975

sdp1975 Amatore

Absolutely terrible - have you got the money back after the e-mail ?

I think you should post this experience on the popular travel forums like HVK FB Forum, BCMT , and so on.
  6. Raj_pol

Raj_pol Regolare

Punto Evo 1.3
    @svvickky Good to hear that you got your money back. Customer service for any body is pathetic in India primarily because the seller is aware that they can get away with it. I am personally not comfortable with driving a vehicle that I am not maintaining. I have also seen the way ZOOM vehicles are being driven and it is not a pretty sight.
  7. pra.agar

pra.agar Regolare

Try posting this experience in their Facebook and Twitter account. This gets noticed quite quick and not to lose another potential customers, they speed up the process. Share the link of the facebook post and twitter so that we can like and comment to make the post noticeable.
  8. rajks

rajks Amatore

I was planning to rent a 7 seater from Zoom for the coming vacation, now I will stay away from them.

Off late I also see lot a zoom cars getting into accidents!!
  9. svvickky

svvickky Amatore

No Refund yet, they got the bank details before 3 days saying refund will be credited in 2 days.
    I am following up.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    @svvickky, so you do have a written email from them, correct? In case if they hold up your money further. Which we all hope they don't.