1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tempereture Meter needle not working

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by Supratimghosh77, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Supratimghosh77

Supratimghosh77 Timido

Gurgaon
    Hi Friends, The temp meter is not working in my Fiat Palio Stile SLE(2007). The needle in the temp meter dial does not move even after driving for a long time. I understand there is a problem but not sure what kind of a fault this could be (sensor issue, mechanical fault in the meter etc...) . Has anybody experienced such a problem with the car?
  2. When needle is not moving it is highly probable that you need to replace temperature gauge, even if that doesnt solve your problem then you need to search for some other solution.
    You can get the meter checked at any local workshop,see if some wire is cut or check the drop across it to confirm.
    This is what used to happen when we had amby, all the time some meter or the other stopped working.A simple replacement brought it back to life.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    I had this issue once in my Indica, a quick check start the engine at idle and Hard pedal for 5 minutes and check if the needle raises.
  4. Cubbie

Cubbie Superiore

Bangalore
    my neighbors scooter needed 45degree tilt to start ;) the engine ! $2 million for any guesses which brand it is.

These unconventional methods do help. But FIAT cars dont budge do they? They need lot of pampering once something fails.
  5. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    The Palio Stile is a far more sophisticated piece of equipment than the earlier generation cars. Please take the car to a FASS and get it checked. The temp gauge is an important piece of equipment. It helps you realize that the engine is running too hot, before it seizes.

A stitch in time saves nine.

Rajan
  6. Right it is a far more sophisticated piece of equipment compared to earlier generation cars, so the risk of the engine running too hot is almost impossible.
    Ofcourse you should take your car to the experts, ie your nearest SC.
  7. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Exactly. BTW, the coolant circulation system can develop a leakage, causing the engine to run too hot. The gauge is provided in the console for a reason.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  8. Right this can be one reason the engine turning hot, there are several reasons(freaky ones) but yes we need to get it checked before it comes at our home..

9. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Oh yes. There are a multitude of reasons for the engine to run hot, especially in the earlier generation cars. But with newer cars, as you said, it is almost impossible, unless there is no coolant.

@Supratimghosh77, older generation cars used a Bourdon Tube, a thin metal - usually brass or copper - tube that is filled with an easily vaporized fluid, typically alcohol. It is sealed at both ends. At the gauge end it is formed into a circle or spiral with its end attached to the indicating needle by some form of linkage. The other end is fitted to a water-tight connector that is in direct contact with the coolant in the engine. As the coolant warms up the alcohol in the Bourdon tube expands. The expansion transfers its force to the coiled end of the tube inside the gauge. As the coil or spiral unwinds it pulls the linkage on the needle, which in turn shows a temperature reading on the gauge face. The gauges are calibrated during the manufacturing stage and are not adjustable afterwards. Since the Bourdon Tube design is purely mechanical the gauge will continue to read some temperature level even after the engine is shut off. As the engine cools the gauge's needle will return to its rest position.

On the contrary, the Palio's (and all other new gen cars') temp gauges are electrical. Basically, an electric temperature gauge is a voltmeter. The scale on the gauge face is reading temperature but the instrument itself is reading voltage. The gauge itself is comprised of a bimetallic (two different metals fastened together) "hairpin" assembly. This assembly is attached to the needle.

The gauge requires an electric circuit and a sending unit in order to read temperature. The sending unit is a temperature-sensitive material that is part of a variable resistance, water-sealed unit that sits in the coolant stream in the engine. As the engine warms up the resistance in the sending unit is lowered gradually until the system reaches maximum heat. The sending unit is the "ground" portion of the circuit.

In the completed circuit the battery voltage passes from one side of the gauge, through the bimetallic spring and onward to the sending unit, which is grounded to the engine. When the engine is cold the resistance is high, so little current passes through the gauge. This small current doesn't heat up the bimetallic spring, so the gauge reads a low temperature. As the engine warms and the sending unit's resistance lowers more current passes through the gauge and the needle reads higher and higher because the bimetallic spring expands further.

Electric gauges can fail to read accurately because the sending units fatigue or rust over, or simply lose their connection to ground. The bimetallic spring can also fatigue over time, rendering the gauge inaccurate or inoperable.

In your case, it is most likely a lost ground connection and very easily fixed. However, it is imperative you get it done ASAP, to avoid nasty surprises later on. The Palio is a very robust machine, so I hope you are not faced with any major problems.

Rajan
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    5 people like this.
  10. ^^+1 to that,tfi is knowledge bank specially for our cars and highly experienced senior members like you make it possible.