1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Teflon coating - one of the biggest scam

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by anoop, Sep 29, 2011.

1. anoop

anoop Superiore

I am sure most of us would have been offered \ advised to go for Teflon coating to protect the paint of our car.

Before I go detail into what exactly is Teflon and what they offer, consider this - Automobile detailing is not yet big in India like it is in other countries, but if you ask about Teflon coating in any of the well known international forums, most of the people will draw a blank, but in India, even the aam admi knows about it. Ever wondered why it is immensely popular only in India?

Let us take a moment to understand what exactly is Teflon and what it is supposed to do.

Teflon is the brand name of DuPont for their PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene) which is a synthetic fluoropolymer of tetrafluoroethylene
    (Link : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polytetrafluoroethylene)

The most well known use for this compound in our life is the non-stick utensils we use for cooking. Water cannot wet this compound. When people offer 'Teflon' most people fall for it thinking that they will get a protective coat over the car paint which will not be wet by water.

The true 'Teflon' coating can ONLY be done by DuPont since they are the patent holder for their trademark.

If you look at the official DuPont website, you can clearly see that the Teflon coating is done by baking after spraying the compound on the surface. Have you ever seen your car being baked during the so called Teflon coating process?
    (Links: http://www2.dupont.com/Teflon_Industrial/en_US/products/product_by_type/coatings/index.html and http://www2.dupont.com/Teflon_Industrial/en_US/products/selection_guides/coatings.html)

So, what exactly is the 'Teflon' coating done by the showroom guys and other road side 'detailers' ?

The answer is - it is nothing but a polish job using a rubbing compound, followed by wax in some cases, and then finished by applying a sealant or glaze. Teflon is one of the biggest marketing scams happening in India, and in India it is mushrooming because people are gullible and customer protection laws are almost non-existent.

Now, for a moment, let us say you fell for it. You will be thinking - ok, so i did it, what is the big deal?
    No big deal if your car is always parked under cover. The more you take the car out, the more the surface will be contaminated by pollutants, and micro scratches. In a non-Teflon or PTFE \polymer coated surface, all you need to do to clear the micro scratch is to use good polish and clean and wax the area, but if you have got this kind of polymer coating done, then casual polishing compounds will not cut the cover. You have to use abrasives with good strength to clean the coating, use a cleaner and go the whole hog to clean even a small scratch.

So guys, beware of this scam and stay away from anything which says 'No Waxing for 5 years' etc. PTFE is a PITA and is one of the biggest scams.
    4 people like this.
  2. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    I always knew there's nothin called as Teflon coating.I never fell for this scam.I use Formula1 for my bike and nothing for the car as of yet.Still my car shines :-D
  3. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Aaron that is because of Silver color :). One of Favorite color.

Even I also rejected Tefloan coating for my car.
    Suman likes this.
  4. I lost some Rs2500 /- with my M800, after 5 days I did not see the cars shining.
    I kept away from it for my rest of bikes and cars.

-Sat
  5. anoop

anoop Superiore

Good that you both and @sat rejected Teflon coating.

White and Silver are two of the most easiest color to maintain, but at the same time, two of the most difficult color to detail.
    Now, this do looks like a contradicting statement, so let me explain a bit.

White and silver hides swirl marks and imperfections easily, and daily dust and grit is not as visible as other colors. But if left unattended, over a time, some white color paints develop a yellow tint because of oxidation and white and silver may develop grey film on the paint because of the contamination. So, please do not neglect the paint care :)

Many white paints are single stage paints and polishing and waxing a single stage is a pain. If the white have a clear coat (multi stage) then it is easy to take care. When it comes to fixing paint defects, soft paints have an upper hand. Without going in to much technical details, paints like black are considered soft (because of the softness of the pigment used - carbon black) and white is considered as a hard paint (the main pigment is titanium Dioxide, which is hard). The harder the paint, the tougher it is to remove the swirl marks and aberrations.
    On the top, if the hard paint is a single stage paint, more often than not, you will end up damaging the paint when you try to remove scratches. That is why generally it is very difficult to remove swirl marks from a white paint.

The main reason why the dirt builds up on white\silver cars is that, the first signs of dirt build up is not evident on them as other deeper colors. And, the film\dirt build up will be very even. So, you do not realize that your car is getting dirtier or losing the shine, until you try to clean the paint one day.

So, even if your car is white \ silver, please take some time to clean the car and to maintain the paint - it will reward you in long term.
  6. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

@ Anoop

Thanks for the eye opener.This is somting new to me. Luckily i rejected the offer from the dealer to get the so called 'Teflon coating'. I will ask my friends and relatives to stay away from this. :)
  7. dj.nish

dj.nish Superiore

Mumbai
    What's the harm if one is getting it for free?
  8. anoop

anoop Superiore

Paint on your car, when it comes from teh factory, is at its no-porous best. You simply do not want to use a rubbing compound on it to make it more susceptible for future contamination.

Well, if the person doing the job have good understanding of what he is doing and is using good quality stuff, the damage is limited. More often than not, people who do this, do not know how to use a orbital polish machine, let alone using quality stuff. In the process of giving your car a quick shine, they does introduce lot of micro scratches and swirl marks, which will damage the paint finish.

So, let us better be safe than be sorry :)
  9. nk4FIAT

nk4FIAT Superiore

Hyderabad
    Yes. I have read this on many forums and not gone for it. Otherwise those guys wolud have made all over swirl marks on black colour.
    I 'l not use anything for 1st 2-3 years. After that Formula1 or Maruti Body wax.
  10. anoop

anoop Superiore

do not neglect the paint so long. You can start using a wax now itself. Go for some reputed brands like Meguirs, Mothers, Collinite etc. If you cannot find them, go for Turtle hard shell or F1 carnauba.

A properly maintained black color car is a thing of beauty, a unkempt black color car is an eye sore. Black is one of the toughest color to take care, but one of the most rewarding color too. Take care of the shine :)