1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Team Fiat - Tyre Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ravi, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It will not scrap the wheel arches, unless some really heavy items put on back.
    @shams using this size from long time without issues.

Except some GC increase and little more cushions, I don't see any other benefit. This could be a good option if you have old GC, keep in mind, you would need to change spare tyre also with this size.
  2. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    So many choosing Michelin 3PST. :)
    Pranob Mukharjee likes this.
  3. Guru_mprasad

Guru_mprasad Amatore

Chennai
    Just now finished ordering Yoko Earth1 195/65 r15 for my linea...Couldn't see the tyres listed anywhere else.. Even in Yoko website. Keeping my fingers crossed... Got a food deal for it though..17481 for a set of 4. Anyone has idea on these tyres. I also went to Reliance Autozone and they were also saying Yoko earth 1 is not offered in 195/65.

Mod Note: Please avoid typing like this.... Kindly refer to the TFI rules here - http://teamfiat.com/threads/tfi-rules.9288/
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2014
    sathishgv likes this.
  4. DOT

DOT Timido

Bangalore
  5. fiatcrazy

fiatcrazy Amatore

NEW DELHI
    Grande Punto 1.2
    How about 185/65/R14 Bridgestone B290

185/65/R14 - OD / Circumference is 4% smaller than stock tyre.

1. Give better accelaration ? ( less OD )
    2. Life of suspension system may increase ? ( lite weight than stock one 165/80/R14)
    3. Wet performance. ( 185 )
    4. Better corner ( lower profile - side wall)

Bridgestone B290 :

1. Low noise - Irregular profile.
    2. Wet performance - deep grooves
    3. Fuel Economy - wide grooves, light weight
    4. Handling - Wider
    5. Low cost - Bridgestone performance ( The rubber of bridgestone is hard but braking is as good as Michillin & Yoko hiigh end ).

I think I am wrong somewhere, I am loosing something out, but cant figure it out. may be the looks? looks are great with these even.

may be slight difference in eating potholes.
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Regarding Bridgestone B290, decent tyre and I would say comparable to Apollo Accelere.
    Instead of 185/70, using 185/65, will not have much difference. Keeping 70% sidewall actually will help suspension with extra cushions.
    renlouis likes this.
  7. fiatcrazy

fiatcrazy Amatore

NEW DELHI
    Grande Punto 1.2
    @Ravi

Bridgestone B290 is cheaper but very good tyre & balanced blend of all these :

1. Low noise - Irregular profile. - donno which one is better with this much hard rubber ??
    2. Wet performance - deep grooves
    3. Fuel Economy - wide grooves, light weight
    4. Handling - Wider.

What would be the nearest successor you recommend.

Using 185/70 will give more comfort but Handling at corners may be a doubt with this much high profile, as the total size of 65% is less than 70% one, the suspension load which the 70% one was bearing may also equalize (depends on driving style too ?)
  8. vivekanandrb

vivekanandrb Timido

Bangalore
    After 38.5K on stock GT3 (195/60/R15) , upgraded tyres to Earth 1 - 195/65/R15 (on stock alloys), and have driven ~300 kms on it (33 psi). Have gone over several speedbreakers - have not scraped the arches, although most of the driving was only me, & not fully loaded. I guess if I am reasonably slow over bumps, there shouldn't be any scraping. A highway run planned towards month end with fully loaded car - can update on scraping issues if any post that. I have retained the never-used 195/60 GT3 as spare.

The higher profile increased comfort - obvious almost pretty immediately. Looks improved with wheel wells filled in. However, I needed a bit of re-adjustment to the higher profile - the road feel & handling seemed different. I drive mostly in the city, and not aggressively (like to accelerate, but don't corner hard) - so the tyres work well for me: I have never driven on low-profile, so can't compare with that. Given the scrapes I've had despite dead slow & angular crawl over poorly designed speed breakers, rattling & damage after my engine guard scraped a 'manhole mound' - which I'm increasingly seeing at several spots and lousy pothole ridden city roads - I personally am liking the higher profile & increased comfort.
  9. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @whitepunto76, I have upgraded my stock GT3 195/60/R15 to Yokohama Earth1 195/65/R15 and till now I have clocked 5000+ kms. The basic reason behind my upgrade is to raise the GC. I loved the low profile ride very much so i did not want to go for GC upgrade but at the same time wanted a marginal increase in the GC to avoid bottom scrapping on bumps. This tyre serves my purpose very well. The only place i miss the earlier 195/60 profile tyre is in corners where i feel that there is a slight increase in the body roll. The other area is that after the new tyres, at slow speeds the suspension makes more "thud thud" noise on uneven surfaces. Performance wise, road grip is almost same, confidence inspiring but road noise is less in Yoko tyres. On my recent trip to sambalpur the tyre passed the endurance test too on multiple speed breakers at high speeds (not intentional, though), their side walls handled the impact very well.

@Guru_mprasad I am sure you will like these tyres.
    vivekanandrb likes this.
  10. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Friends, Thanks for the update. Please provide the purchase cost of 195/65/R15 tyres.
    I see that Yoko Earth 1 from previous post. Also, how are the reviews of Hankook Optima or Kenda Komet.
    I tried kenda komet K23 in Blr, but none of them have it. My budget is 15K for these 4 tires to buy.