1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Team Fiat - Tyre Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ravi, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    No, ply composition is written (embossed) on the sidewall of the tyre.
    It tells you how many plies (layers) of a particular material is used while building up the tyre.
    Eg Polyester, nylon, polyamide, steel etc.. For more info click here.
    http://www.teamfiat.com/posts/841961206/

T, H indicates ' maximum speed' a tyre can withstand. rps20161017_201128.jpg
    Turbothinghy and ramjn like this.
  2. wasim akram

wasim akram Timido

JAMMU KASHMIR
    JAMMU
    Linea Classic
    IMG_20161018_191851_3.png I found it
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 18, 2016 ---
    Moreover I drove only 17000 kms but the tred seems to be left only 20 percent only.....I expected more
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  3. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    What's the manufacturing date code of tyres mentioned on the sidewall? And what's the date of tyre installation on your car?

Also mention the Treadwear, Traction Temperature ratings embossed on the sidewall.

Actually, tread which is composed of 1polyamide gives good comfort & ride quality.
    If you need more comfort, you can go for tyres with tread which are composed of 2 polyamide plies eg conticomfortcontact 5. Check if they are available in your size.

Yokohama Earth1 too are comfortable due to orange oil technology used to soften the natural rubber used in the tyre construction.

If you prefer better handling over better comfort, go for tyre with soft sidewall ( single poster ply in the side wall) but soft sidewall tyres are prone for sidewall bulge & cut.

Tyres with asymmetrical tread pattern are less noisy than those with symmetrical.
  4. wasim akram

wasim akram Timido

JAMMU KASHMIR
    JAMMU
    Linea Classic
    I'll send you other details tomorrow
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 19, 2016 ---
    Till then I have a confusion...like,my car came with 175/70 R14 stock tyres and I upgraded her with 185/70R14.did I increased the ground clearance by doing so.Also will my ground clearance be less or increased if I go for 185/65R14 and what will be pros and cons with 185/66R14.This time I think I should go for bridgestone suggest me if I'm wrong as my budget is hardly 4k/ tyre so I can't go for Michelin or yoko.....
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  5. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    The numbers 65, 70 in your above post indicate height of the sidewall. 65 means the height of the sidewall is 65 % of the width of the tyre.

So going to 185/65 R14 from 175 /65 R14 would definitely increase the GC.

If you go for 185/65 R14 from 185/70 R14, the GC will decrease.

These 65, 70 figures are called as 'aspect ratio. More is the aspect ratio (side wall height) as compared to stock sidewall height , more it protrudes sideways increasing risk of sidewall cut.

Yokohama earth 1 in the size of 185/60R15 were costing Rs 4200/tyre in Pune. so for 14 inch tyres it should be less than Rs 4 K/tyre.
  6. wasim akram

wasim akram Timido

JAMMU KASHMIR
    JAMMU
    Linea Classic
    OK then I have decided to go for 185/65R14.How is the ride of yokohoma hard or soft and how long will it run I mean kms.
  7. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Are you talking of Yokohama Earth1?

Personally, I don't have experience of Earth1,however user reviews across Internet are encouraging.
    The ride quality is pliant & satisfactory (neither too soft nor too hard)
    Yokohama doesn't mention UTQG (Treadwear) ratings on its sidewall hence can't comment.
  8. wasim akram

wasim akram Timido

JAMMU KASHMIR
    JAMMU
    Linea Classic
    What you say about Bridgestone AR 20.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 22, 2016 ---
    I mean turanza ar 20
  9. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    That is also good tyre, but need to the ply composition, UTQG RATING & E markings on the sidewall.
  10. vivek kashnia

vivek kashnia Timido

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Team,

I am proud owner of Fiat Grande Punto emotion since last two years. Completed 50k KM and enjoyed each movement with my Italian girl.
    Now it's time to change shoes of my love.

Current tyre size (OEM) is 195/60R15 Goodyear duraplus. Tyre lasted long and grip was almost good.
    Thinking to upgrade the tyre to size 205/60 or 205/55. Please if anyone have experience with both the size.

And which brand is good to go.