1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Team Fiat - Tyre Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ravi, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    There is no harm if you get the good grip and tuff tire for less cost.i have stopped using branded tires.Using Chinese tires since one and half year and tested it at 3 digits speed on good roads and two digits speed on worst roads too.When it comes to warranty you know how it works :rage: for both branded and non-branded tires.
  2. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Linea is maximum comfortable car in that segment.

Changing to 60 likely to give you sidewall cuts, decrease in FE & pickup too.
    Better you upgrade to a car segment higher than Linea if you are uncomfortable with her.
    --- Double Post Merged, Aug 29, 2016 ---
    Test should have a control too.
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Tornado

" Test should have a control too "

I drive on 205.65.R15 on my grande punto emotion 2011 model.There is no issues for me on the control,there is a slight body roll and i believe thats due to the tire profile.Currently running on these tires.

Do you have anything specific term on 'control' ? i drive mostly in 80-110 Kmph speed band on highways and after rainy season you might be knowing the roads in Maharashtra are like hell and on such roads too these tires survived without any punctures and in control given with ABS for emotion pack model. i remember those days of ugly GT3 Goodyear stock tires :banhappy:
  4. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I wanted to say, we can't judge a tyre by driving on a single set at triple digit speeds.
    In research field, if a tyre set is tested on a car, there has to be other car fitted with "control " standard tyre fitted car. Comparison is possible only if all other driving conditions are same. For eg UTQG rating system followed in USA.
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Tornado

Ok I never knew about utqg.i always selected tires based upon speed index and load capacity and online reviews.
    As per utqg these are the ratings embossed on my tires.
    Treadwear 360
    Traction A
    Temperature A.
    Is that good with rating ?
  6. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    That's quite competent rating. That's better than
    Goodyear assurance triplmax have 320,A,A.,
    Bridgestone B 250 have '200,B,B.

Mefeels, other than online reviews, we should always check tyre sidewall for UTQG ratings(this is by USA law) , encircled E markings(this is approved by European law) , & ply composition while selecting a tyre set.

Just check your ply composition if possible.

These three things can help us a lot when tyre is relatively new in the market & longterm user reviews are scarce online.
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    PradeepM likes this.
  7. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Found on the tire, with naked eye encircled as 'E4' , for ply composition will update you later in the evening i think it is written in very small letters.
  8. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    The letter E is usually suffixed by number within the circle. It indicates number code of the country where tyre maker had applied & was certified.
    Eg. E4 means Netherlands,
    E1 means Germany
    E 48,; means New Zealand (not European but being UN member of commission on environment )

Presence of S & W letters & the suffixed after that gives you idea that they are sound pollution norm & Wet grip norm compliant as laid down by European laws.
    After S & W markings we can see R mark also. I don't know meaning of R, but probably it might be the rolling resistance.

Posting pic for reference
    1)E label
    2)ply composition.
    rps20160828_155148.jpg rps20160828_160530.jpg
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Ganges likes this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Plies Tread: 2 STEEL + 1 POLYESTER + 1 NYLON.
    Side Wall: 1 POLYESTER
  10. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Yes, here they have cut the cost, most of the branded but average tyres have got 2 polyester plies in their sidewalls in your size tyres.

Polyester ply imparts tensile strength to the tyre, thus 2 plies make the sidewall resistant to the sidewall cut or rupture.

On Indian internet forums, tyres are criticised for weak sidewalls despite 2 plies in the sidewall, so for tyres with 1 polyester ply in the sidewall should be careful on the potholes.

While looking for tyre purchase, one need to compare ply composition, but size, load index, speed index should be same for all the tyres in consideration.
    For eg Xm2 with 15 inch rim diameter have 2 polyester plies in the sidewall but XM2 with 12 inch rim diameter have only 1polyster ply in the sidewall.
    Mefeels, this is one of the factor responsible for XM2 image getting tarnished as tyres prone for sidewall damage.

Similarly, your tyre has got only 1 polyester & 1 nylon. For better tensile strength atleast one of the ply material should have been 2 plies,however this ply composition is responsible for tensile strength (cut & burst resistance) and not the longevity (life in kms & storage life)
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2016