1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Team Fiat - Tyre Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ravi, Mar 17, 2014.

1. manishgarg921

manishgarg921 Amatore

Ghaziabad
    Hi Kishorekrs
    Theres a minor puncture not visible when the wheel is checked without being removed.
    I faced a similar issue with my tires repeatedly where in the Tyre shop said that it wasn't a tire puncture but normal air pressure loss.
    However I was not convinced with his reply.
    I asked him to removed the wheel and submerge in water, unlike the way they would rub foam on the wheel without removing.
    They increased the pressure in Tire from normal 33 to 40-45 and submerged in water.
    Soon the puncture was sighted..
    Hopefully you should be able to get yours resolved too

Cheers
    kishorekrs likes this.
  2. kishorekrs

kishorekrs Amatore

Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Exactly mate. When I visited local tyre shop he did put that foam & checked without removing the tyre. As you said there wasn't puncture anywhere. Nevertheless I shall try the option as suggested by you. Hope it will get resolved. Thanks for sharing inputs. :)
  3. platinumshine

platinumshine Regolare

Stock tyres: 195/60/R15 Apollo Acelere on my Punto 2012, drove 44k km, experienced only a single puncture in last 3.5 years. All worn out significantly especially the right front which had uneven wear on the inner side, so much so that the steel wires were exposed. Call it my negligence to keep a check off late.

Requirement ( in order of preference) : Silent tyres, comfort, good grip in dry and wet, life.

The Aceleres had started to generate road noise after first 8000 km itself, humming noise as well. A highway drive especially on concrete section was tiring due to road noise in addition to the wind noise prevalent in Punto. So always wanted to have a silent tyre as replacement, which will remain silent for most part of its life.

Between Michelin Primacy 3ST and Continental Max Contact MC5 chose the latter. Per internet reviews, if 3ST is 10/10 then MC5 can be rated 9/10. With a price difference of 1k between the two, the MC5 made a strong case.

Just yesterday replaced all four Aceleres with Continental MC5 at Darshan Tyres, Viman Nagar, Pune. 4750/- per tyre, alignment & balancing included.

Very initial observations:
    1. Drove only 50km so far. I can hear only the MJD's growl now :happy: The same old road does not send shocks and vibrations into the cabin.
    2. Can't comment on the grip but it will be good. Have a trip planned to KA in next week.
    3. Steering feels a lot smoother. Precision remains top class. Loving the feel !
    4. Longevity might be a concern here. I hope they last atleast 35k km which I will be satisfied with.

Never had to use the spare tyre which is a full size Acelere. Will continue to keep it in that horizontal position.
  4. Bhoopathi Raja

Bhoopathi Raja Timido

Coimbatore/ Pune
    Pune/Coimbatore
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

Hello guys ,

As a first step to increase GC in punto , I have replaced my stock tyres to 195/65R15 Michelin 3ST ( Rs.5900/tyre)

My first impressions :
    1. Steering vibrations had reduced a lot.
    2. Less tyre noise.
    3. Didn't felt any increase in steering effort even at low speed ( tp- 32 PSI)
    4. Ride comfort is good.

5. Subjectively didn't felt any difference in GC with wheel diameter increase of 16 mm.
    But objectively felt the reduction in wheel arch gap.

6. Now my rear wheel arch is fouling with tyre with 3 persons in the rear + luggage condition.

With 2 person it's not fouling.

When I approched service centre , they suspected rear damper ( odo: 70,770 Kms) has weaken which is causing the issue .

So can you guys tell the average life of the rear damper?
    kishorekrs likes this.
  5. Anwar Hussain

Anwar Hussain Timido

Bareilly
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    This post ws started in 2014 so is the guide to upgrade tyres, things hav changed a bit now, i m lookin for an upgrade for 195/60 R15, punto evo, i hav shortlisted a few need ur help guys to make a firm decision MRF Zsports 205/55 R15 88H, Yokohama 205/55 R15 88W, & Michelin Energy XM2 205/60 R15 91V. Help me choose the best one for control comfort & road noise, Thanx
  6. Anwar Hussain

Anwar Hussain Timido

Bareilly
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    i m lookin for an upgrade for 195/60 R15, punto evo, i hav shortlisted a few need ur help guys to make a firm decision MRF Zsports 205/55 R15 88H, Yokohama 205/55 R15 88W, & Michelin Energy XM2 205/60 R15 91V. Help me choose the best one for control comfort & road noise, Thanx
  7. moksh

moksh Regolare

Mumbai/Germany
    Linea 1.3
    @Anwar Hussain I am confused You said that you want to upgrade from 195/60 R15 to 205/55 R15. But the confusion is you have mentioned on your TFI account that you have Punto Evo 1.3 90Hp, whereas 90hp has 195/55 R16. Also from your display picture I can judge that it has alloys. Can you please clear first what version you have.
    Turbothinghy likes this.
  8. MakeTheMove

MakeTheMove Regolare

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
  9. Anwar Hussain

Anwar Hussain Timido

Bareilly
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I hav 2 puntos sir, the one i drive a new one is 90hp R16, its new doesnt need a tyre replacement, the one is question is a dynamic one 75 hp but when i bought tht i exchanged the tyres with a petrol emotion demo vehicle as a deal frm the dealer
  10. vista7155

vista7155 Regolare

bangalore
    ^^ Michelin is very good and yoko is good but there is a road noise where it will pick small gravels which creates noise.
    I am using yoko earth 1 from past 16k and it is fantastic product and reliable compared to scrappy oem tyres.