1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Team Fiat - Tyre Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ravi, Mar 17, 2014.

1. rider16

rider16 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

maddy79, mine is a 2012 car, and a year after purchase I swapped the stock high GC suspension with Bilstein B6,

http://www.teamfiat.com/threads/journey-with-my-fiat-grande-punto-sports-90hp-ex-red.14962/

linky of the same.

The thing is the original punto, 2009 version had immaculately balanced suspension, but given our roads/no roads at times, it did cause problems for masses with underbody scraping. Hence that updated higher GC kit suspension from Fiat on post 2012 cars. But, this came with its own set of problems of body roll, but masses wont notice it unless driven in spirited corners.

My car with Bilstein B6 probably had around 160mm GC on stock wheels & tyres(195/60-R15), and little help from the 205/55-R16 wheels & tyres which help raised the clearance to 170mm~ish, it was all good, but these definately scraped the plastic cladding and arches in the front & rear!. Even the 195/65-R15 end up scrapping on my suspension under heavy duty!.

The car is built like a tank so one might not hear the scrapping inside the cabin, but then you check them arches later, the scrapes are evident.

now my second set I dint have the budget to go for 205/55-R16, but I still needed the GC help from wheels/tyres, so went in for 195/65-R15 michelin primacy 3st. These sure are good tyres, but the increased side wall height had negated the spirited driving I used to enjoy on the previous lower side wall profile tyres.

Hence I am looking for good options for the 195/55-R16 tyres, and as of now only three reputed brands offer this, goodyear, bridgestone and apollo. Premium brands Michelins, yokos, contis, pirellis still dont offer tyres in this size.
  2. mnvvishwa

mnvvishwa Novizio

Bangalore
    Hello All,

My car ODO is 29K and OEM tyres (GY GT3) are worn out and I need to change it in next weeks. I want carry same tyre profile 195/60 R15. After some research I shortlisted the below Tyres. Please suggest me which is good for rough roads and durability.

1. Apollo Alanc 4G or 4GS (don't know the difference between 4G and 4GS)
    2. Yokohoma Earth-1
    3. Continental comfort contact
  3. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    among the 3 Yokohama Earth is better. You can also go for Michelin Primacy 3st if your budget permits.
    mnvvishwa likes this.
  4. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    At 32k~ in Odo i got rid of my worn out GOOD YEAR GT3 and opted for Michelin Primacy Silent Tune3. The spec i opted for was 195/65/R15. I have stock alloys.

I was falling a lot for the 205 rubber but did not have the guts to go for it.

200 Km Review:
    1. Vehicle drives absolutely silent.
    2. 5 mm height increase visually gives a perception of being slightly taller.
    3. Smoothness guaranteed in high speeds and lesser rolling resistance.
    4. 3 year manufacturer warranty. yet to receive SMS.
    5. Wheel arches filled up well.
    6. Engine note heard clearly due to silent drive.
    Cost:
    1. 6300 Rupees per tire.
    2. Worth for Punto and compliments the alloy well.

Reliability: Yet to experience it.. Hopefully expect another 60K in this set of Primacy.

Thanks to @kedarbendre for his excellent on time support provided in the decision making process
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  5. prashantgupta84

prashantgupta84 Regolare

New Delhi
    Delhi
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @sriram....the cost of 3st in Delhi is Rs.5450 and MSP Rs.6050. I recently replaced my tyre under warranty and i got goodwill discount of 50% as it was not manufacturing defect. I paid Rs.3000......
  6. sriramr9

sriramr9 Amatore

Chennai
    @prashantgupta84 Why did you have to change the tires in Warranty. What was the problem with product. Could you please elaborate.
  7. Navneet

Navneet Amatore

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea T-Jet
    Guys, sorry to brake this loop, but can someone suggest if 205/60 R16 good enough for Linea Tjet+, which already has 205/55 R16? has anybody tried 205/60 R16 on Linea Tjet? I feel a need for higher profile, hence asked. But at same time I don't want to compromise on speed. Thanks in advance
  8. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    205/60 tends to rub on your wheel wells when your wheels are completely turned. stick to 55.
    Navneet likes this.
  9. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Folks,

A friend recently picked a used 2010 90HP and the tyres need an immediate change.
    From what I heard the original spec is 165/65 R15 and he is wanting to stick to the same. We have a budget of 15-18k max kindly suggest the best on offer for the price band.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
  10. vtlreja2

vtlreja2 Amatore

rajkot
    mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Upgraded to falken.
    Jk worn out in just 34k kms
    Paid 14k for all 4
    185/70/r14 88 H
    Grippy and silent