1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Team Fiat - Tyre Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ravi, Mar 17, 2014.

1. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Nice to read that you are planning to change your tyres even though they have done only 31000 kms instead of the regular attitude of killing the tyre before changing them :).

Those prices for the MRF are damn cheap compared to the competition. If you have any good reviews for them you should try them. Out of the other three if the Goodyear Gsd3 F1 are the uni directional one's I suggest you stay away from them as they are quite noisy. I have used the GSD3's but in assymetric tread pattern which are less noisier but were very grippy, both of these are UHP (Ultra High Performance tyres) and will have a stiff side wall so your ride will not be as comfortable.

Yes you can use 205/60 r16 instead of 205/55 r15 on the tjet but the overall diametre of the tyre will increase marginally as there is going to be more rubber/tyre that before. I suggest you stick to 55 as 60 would ruin handling.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 3, 2015 ---
    Dude, if you have a post 2012 Punto, you already have more than enough ground clearance. There is no reason to increase more.

But if you still want to do it, I think you can because I found the increase in the diametre is around two percent which should not foul with the arch and anyway the wheel wells are now huge with the high ground clearance.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
  2. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Need to replace four Michelin Primacy HP in 205/55 r16 done 23000 kms but already five years old with new tyres which should be comfort oriented with decent handling. A little bit of tyre noise is okay.

I have used quite a bit of Michelin's so I am keeping them out of the equation for the time being. I want to try something new. The options I have in mind are:

1) Pirelli P7
    2) Bridgestone AR20
    3) Continental Premium Contact 2

Any other options available? Anyone used any of the above.
  3. Bhoopathi Raja

Bhoopathi Raja Timido

Coimbatore/ Pune
    Pune/Coimbatore
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP

Yes , i own a 2012 punto. it ground clearance is sufficient. But at times in bad roads , i had scrapped it.
    So after knowing the GC of Avventura , I thought of increasing my GC .

Just visited fiat service , one of the mechanic told me that , it might foul to rear inner arch of rear wheel.

So i asked them about the damper stud height difference between punto & Avventura , which they will inform tomorrow.
    5u3zEr0 likes this.
  4. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
  5. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Add continental and Dunlop to the above list.

I have used the below tyres and here are my observations.

1. Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 - Pretty average tyre, horrible road noise and harsher ride
    2. Hankook Ventus Evo V12 - Very decent tyre for the price. Can tackle bad roads quite well, a lot more silent than Goodyears and decent grip in wet.
    3. Continental MC5 - Covered around 1100 kms and it is very impressive until now. A whole lot quieter, plusher ride and very grippy in the corners. I will reserve the final opinion until I put another 15K kms at the least.
  6. sunilmh

sunilmh Amatore

KA-02
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Guys, I decided go for Yoko 'S' drive - 195/55/15
    a big concern is one of back alloy is slightly bent, would that be cause of concern ?

I would really appreciate if I could get inputs from forum members who have got experience with S drive -- 195/55/15
    JFYI - I'm shifting from ES100 195/60/15

Thanks,
    Sunil
  7. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    @Bhoopathi Raja i: Nice to read that you are getting into the details.

@ghodlur : Options 1, 2 & 3 are out, I don’t want to use these brands. Option 4 is a uni directional tyre as far as I know, so that is out. I have used a set of S drives and I think that Yokohama is a more performance oriented tyre company so not keen on them. Falken is an option but which one? I don’t have a budget, so I guess ten thousand a tyre is okay.

@nkrishnap : Continental is already on my list and I don’t want Dunlop’s. How much did you pay for the MC5? When you were looking for tyre’s did you get any information / price for the CPC2?

Fellow member “punter” Saju if I am not wrong has Vredestein Sportrac 5 on his Punto and has good things to say about it. So, I am going to keep the Vredestein Ultrac Cento as an option too and find out more. Anybody has any information on them?

If it is a slight bent and if you are not already having any problems with your current tyre setup then it should not be an issue.

I have used the S drives in 225/45 r17 for about 28,000 kms and they worked perfectly for what they are made and look good too. And you are already using the ES100, which is basically the tyre S drive replaced as far as I know. Just don't expect them to be quiet and last long.
    sunilmh likes this.
  8. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    CPC2 is a couple of hundred bucks lesser than MC5. But you may find difficulty in finding the tyre in stock. MC5 I paid very different amount which I can't disclose. However you should get one for 9400 bucks (going price in Bangalore)

With a10k per tyre budget get the Michelin Primacy 3ST.
  9. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    @nkrishnap : I already have the Primacy 3st on the Tjet so I want to try something else. And I have got a price of 9400 for the Primacy 3st. So the MC5 is replacing the CPC2 I guess.

The current options are:

Pirelli P7
    Continental Max Contact 5
    Vredestein Ultrac Cento
    Bridgestone Turanza GR90
  10. anthrg

anthrg Timido

Thiruvananthapuram
    Upgraded tyres to Yokohama Earth-1 185/70/R14 88H today! Luckily 50|14

Had shortlisted Yokohama A-Drive 185/70/R14 88H but dealer suggested Earth-1, I wasn't aware Earth-1 is available in this specification.

Couldn't take a long drive to understand feel. But initial driving experience is highly satisfying, nice stable feel, low noise; earlier tyres were almost bald, so could be that, old JK's served 34K with not much bother other than just 3 punctures.

Thanks
    Ananth