1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Team Fiat - Tyre Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ravi, Mar 17, 2014.

1. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    My pick will be AR20, out of these.

Who says this? Check Bridgestone website, AR20 is also Turanza series - http://www.bridgestone.co.in/Pattern.aspx?pattern=49
  2. shivraj5624

shivraj5624 Amatore

Belgaum, Karnataka
    belgaum
    Linea 1.3
    Thsnks Ravi.. I'll go for Turanza AR20. The website shows it right.
    Ravi likes this.
  3. Vishi

Vishi Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    what is the right PSI for Linea running with 205/55/R16 Tyres? The sticker near the door says 36 for front and 33 for rear. But one of the service executive in KHT told, if kept on 36 the ride will be hard. Hence he recommended 33 for both front and rear. Right now I have kept as per his recommendation. I have a trip planned tomorrow and hence wanted to know the right PSI. I have filled in Nitrogen.
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    I would stick to the OEM recommendation. Those numbers would have been arrived at after testing it.
    Vishi likes this.
  5. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    @Vishi Real problem with maintaining the tyre pressure is the pressure gauge. Most of them are not calibrated properly; including the ones in petrol pumps. For example my mechanical pressure gauge shows 4 PSI more than actual reading (estimated by comparing with 2 new digital gauges, hoping they are accurate). Therefore even if I thought I had maintained manufacturer's recommendation I was actually off by 12.5% (Punto emotion recommendation is 32 PSI). Therefore it is desirable to have accurate gauge. But don't bother about accuracy too much. You are fine as long as your gauge is consistent. Fill manufacturer recommended pressure as per the gauge you have. Inspect the tyres every 1000 or 2000 kms to know the wear pattern. That tells you whether you are under inflating or over inflating. Shoulder wear means under inflated and center wear means over inflated - assuming your suspension geometry is correct. Adjust to compensate the wear using your pressure gauge and decide which reading on your gauge leads to uniform tyre wear. That is the right pressure you should stick to using your pressure gauge. That is what I did. I maintain tyre pressure at around 35-36 PSI on my pressure gauge. I had uniform tyre wear until the tyre rubber started weakening and the tread surface started chipping off in chunks exposing the reinforcement mesh underneath. After that I had to bid good bye to that set of tyres as their safety had become questionable.
  6. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    I , too fill as per manufacturer recommendations. 36/33. Found it good too!
    Vishi likes this.
  7. Vishi

Vishi Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks @RaviHegde for the insight. I did maintain the 36/33 as per fiat recommendation.
  8. selwyn.a

selwyn.a Amatore

KA51
    GA01
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Vishi likes this.
  9. thanujj

thanujj Timido

kannur
    whats the right psi for punto 1.4 petrol running on 185/70 r14 ? tyres are yokohama earth 1.
  10. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    It should be between 175 and 195 recommended by Fiat: around 30 or 31.