1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Team Fiat - Tyre Upgrade Guide

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by Ravi, Mar 17, 2014.

1. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    @Raghavan Kandala:
    Best of ride and handling plus comfort comes with 19560R15.
    If budget is a constraint, get 4 rims from FASS and buy tires.
    Options - Apollo Accelere/MRF ZLO/Yoko earth1/CPC2/Mich and many more.
    Since yours is 2012 model, dont worry about GC. Its already factory set.
    Thanks for graphics. Its just stickering. And, I sold the 14inch rims with JK to some tyre wala on JC road.
    The Steering feedback on 15inches are apt and good for handling. You will definitely like it.
    The OD difference is only <1%. So no issues of ODO reading.
    Go for it and enjoi the ride.
  2. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nothing beats FIAT OEM alloys,FIAT steel rims are not good for indian potholes, one should compulsorly keep an Hammer to remove bends.i have experienced this very badly in middle of night :( . I'm planning to buy one new alloy whatever it costs.
    Alloy wheels are tension free it just glides.
  3. Raghavan Kandala

Raghavan Kandala Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @whitepunto76 , Thanks for your reply.

I was of the understanding that the spare wheel should be of the same size, but the tyre could be of lesser profile. But, the EVO's spare wheel (on the sport variant?) seems to be one size smaller with a note to not exceed 80KMPH. So, looks like, I can keep spare wheel at 165/80 R 14 and only upgrade the four wheels and tyres to 195/60 R 15.

I see that you have upgraded to 195/65 R 15 YOKO Earth1. What was the cost and where did you buy from ? How much did you get for your old 14" rims and tyres ?

Any change in fuel economy (better or worst) post upgrade ?

I was looking at the tyre prices on changemytyre.com and while most brands are ranging between 4.8K to 5.6K, Kenda tyres (a taiwaneese brand) are priced at 3.6K. From the very limited reviews available, they seem to be not bad and fall in economical category. Any idea about these ?

@Ganges : I wish I had enough Vitamin M to go for it. 10K a piece for OEM alloys is just out of budget.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @@Ganges : I wish I had enough Vitamin M to go for it. 10K a piece for OEM alloys is just out of budget.

i too had same thought bro about vitamin m but later realised, dont think about vitamin m when it comes to wheels, this also adds up to the safety of your family.i m not saying that steel rims are of no use rather the way it handles the potholes.i have bitter experience with steel rims.
  5. whitepunto76

whitepunto76 Regolare

Bangalore
    Total cost of 4 Yoko earth1 tyres was 19000 with 500 of WA+WB charges at Madhu's.
    Its been awesome to drive earth1 in both dry and wet conditions. Noise is lesser compared to GT3 and comfort has been good for long drives. For 4 old rims + JK tyres guy quoted 3500. Gave it immediately.
    Right now after tyre change, i am getting 18kmpl in city and 22kmpl in highways.
    I had gone for 195/65/R15 only to increase the GC of 9+mm as mine is 2011 model.

Kenda tyres are real VFM. But, sourcing them is a pain. Even CMT quoted it will take weeks for them to order.
    Heard some good and negative feedback. If you go to JC road, SuperTire world or Murugan Tyres they will source you Kenda. But, non-ISI ones. Little risky.

Hence went for branded. Initially wanted to try Accelere/ZLO. later checked the earth1 pattern. I prefer soft+hard compound tires for longer life. I am maintaining PSI of 31 all round. Been good till now.

Instead of alloys, its better to go for steel rims. If there is any bend in alloy, you have to shell out more.
    Steel rims are easy to maintain.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Steel rims are easy to maintain.

Alloy wheels are very rare prone to bends as compared to steel rims.if steel rims bends it will directly leads to air leak(depending on pothole).Bends are easy to remove on steel rims than alloy wheel.

i remember when i hit a pothole(it was very big midnight at 2:30am) at speed of 80Kmph, the alloy wheel got severe crack and later of no use, thats how i ended up buying 4 steel rims which is normally costs half of one alloy wheel price,after using for one year i felt that steel rims are not that good as alloy.if you are highway runner then Alloy wheels are the Best.
  7. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

Guntur
    Small query on tire upgrade for Avvy.

Is it worth upgrading to Michelin or stay with the stock tires from Fiat? My friend is taking his Avvy on 2/3rd Jan 2015 is confused as some say to go with stock tires. I advised him to go in for Michelin.

Advice/Opinions sought from fellow members.
  8. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I think this depends what your friend is looking for.
    Unless there is specific requirements, OE tyres can be retained. Since size is big, this will add to extra cost.
    nbvcrao likes this.
  9. sunilmh

sunilmh Amatore

KA-02
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Friends,

need your inputs in replacing new tires. right now running with Yoko ES100 - 195/60/15, covered 36K, have life till another 1K.
    couple of options in my mind,

1. Yoko S drive - 195/55/15, considering the fact of less comfort level, are there any concerns ?
    2. Yoko S drive - 205/60/15, with affecting FE and ODO readings (not sure about fender touch on full load) - is it safe to go for it ?

I'm open to any other options too, I'm looking for good handling(dry & wet) + sporty looks :hungry:

Thanks,
    Sunil
  10. Rahul Singh

Rahul Singh Amatore

Bangalore
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @nbvcrao : OEM tyres on Avvy are noisy at high speeds. Handling wise they are good and offer sufficient grip in wet and dry conditions both. I think they will be ok till 28-30k kms. If tyre noise is not an issue then OEM tyres can be retained.