1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Team FIAT (TFI) Official OEM ICE upgrade guide v3

Discussion in 'In Car Entertainment' started by PaddleShifter, Feb 29, 2012.

1. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Trays are available for Punto or one can be made to order depending on how urban settings are there. But 6x9s are best for added punch.
  2. Arjunbhargava

Arjunbhargava Amatore

New Delhi
    Sarojini Nagar
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Ya specially if you not using sub but once you have sub then poor aftermarket tray will rattle making 6×9 useless..
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    If the sub power is more that is. Why would one want a shaking rattling bass unless one likes it that way? Plenty of people will vouch for 6x9s. And I wouldn't suggest unless bass was important. The lower mid bass quality on an Infinity kappa or Pioneer D series or Morels Maxximo for 6x9s is not just quantity but a quality sound. Also note on hatchback it can always be an issue with subwoofer needed to be removed on trips in which case and underseat active sub or no sub is a situation one may face. Only issue with active sub is lfe extensions upto very low 32hz and the volume can be issue. Unless we are talking Vibe, Focal or Kappa design and quality. Something goes missing which a boxed sealed or ported delivers.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  4. srivatsavb

srivatsavb Timido

Hi,

I have a Punto Dynamic 2014 Model. I am planning to upgrade my ICE.

Please suggest some decent setup: My Budget is 10K

Head Unit - ( Preferred Bluetooth/ BRAND )
    Front Speakers - (Co axial or component/ BRAND )
    Rear Speakers - (Co axial or component/ BRAND)

Also Please advice the current OEM headunit displays the soundtrack in the MID. In case if I change the aftermarket HU will there be any impact on the MID console ?

Thanks
    Srivatsav
  5. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Pune
    Hey Srivatsav,

You can look for these:

HU:
    Sony - 3K
    Pioneer - 2.9K

Front speakers:
    Infinity Components 4.8K
    Hertz components 4.5K

Rear:
    Infinity Reference 2.4K
    Polk Audio co-axial 3.5K

These speakers should fit your budget and should be a great jump over the existing setup.
  6. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Pune
    Experts,

I need your suggestion for a subwoofer.

I've already ordered Polk db 6051 components for the front door, and a blaupunkt 470sf 4 channel amp which does not accept speaker level inputs.

Current setup:
    - Pioneer mvh159ui - media player with 1 RCA preout. And 50x4.
    - shitty pioneer 3 way coaxial in the front door
    - 6x9 pioneer speakers in the parcel tray.

I'll be shifting the 3 way to the rear and taking off the oval speakers.

I'm fairly new to this and looking for advice on the following:

1. I need a sealed subwoofer for that non boomy, punchy bass. Are custom boxes any good? Or factory sealed is the way to go?

2. I was looking at blaupunkt Gtb1200 sc. I'd like to know if that is good or should I look for something else.

3. I'll need a line converter. Should I go with scosche, jbl or are there better ones? I could not find Rockford fosgate online.

4. What gauge wires should I be looking at? Which brands are good.

Lastly, is there any good installer in Pune who is recommended. Comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @pronoy_banerjee, ideally you should have Polk coaxials at rear too. Sound signature is important and specific brands adopt different designs and materials which clash with each other and create slight muddied output overall. They can sound 'clean' depending on cost, but different series of speakers or brands does affect the overall quality. So do consider rear speaker swap too some day.

Designing and building custom boxes has enormous benefits, but it's a very complex subject and experimental too involving varying design approaches and benefits of output. For bass a bigger speaker size is generally preferred since lot of air needs to be pushed around to get the desired responses. For sealed boxes the transient response is controlled and offers tighter bass (quality) at the expense of more power requirement and lesser efficiency approach in general. Ported have some advantages also from volume point of view, but best to buy a prefabbed and assembled ported box instead of designing one. Unless you are very stringent about quality bass or higher volumes (spl).

I would suggest infinity if cost permits or similar JBL slipstream port box, which is good. Otherwise not a fan of JBL especially of entry series here in India. If car allows better to use 12" or minimum 10" subwoofer can produce decent output. On a budget the Blaupunkt 12" sealed box was on great offer at about 4.5k approx and produces great quality and more than sufficient volume. Except it will need another amp.

Line converters must be avoided if possible, instead speaker input compatible amps are better compromise. When buying line convertor irrespective of brand make sure seller is willing to take back should it induce humming sounds (noise).

Wiring can be too expensive depending on which brands you choose, Stinger for example is sold at too much premium. Instead buy any standard wiring kit NSW or Scosche and preferably check for OFC (oxygen free) marked cables.
    pronoy_banerjee likes this.
  8. pronoy_banerjee

pronoy_banerjee Amatore

Pune
    @asimpleson Thank you for the detailed answers.

I will definitely consider the coaxials at the rear.

Now I'm much more inclined towards the blaupunkt 12" sealed sub.

You've mentioned that I need another amp to drive the sub. My plan is to power the front components using up 2 channels and then use the bridge mode to power the sub. Rear speakers will be powered by the HU.
    Will this not work?

Let me check out HU's with 3 RCA preouts if possible. I've heard JVC has one media player.
  9. BIPLAB DUTTA

BIPLAB DUTTA Novizio

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Hi,
    I am thinking for changing my Punto Evo stock speakers.
    I have got a quotation from Car Cupid as below :
    Damping material 3000/sheet -> 9000
    ISN 165 focal universal... 25000 (MRP)
    extra rings and others 500
    Total : 34000 -> after discound and adjustment (21%) it comes down to 27,500

With ISS 165 in place of ISN 165 it will come down to 17,000 as the speaker cost is 10,000.

I checked in Amazon.in ISS 165 is a with 6,700 but ISN is 23K.

In Bhandari Auto and CARax the quotation is as below :
    ISN 165 focal Universal 17,500
    spacer and rings : 600
    other 150
    damper (MOJO) 2 sheets 4400.
    I am planning to put my front component speaker to rear door speaker. Thus No need of focal coaxial rear speakers and the setup it will come within 21k to 22K.

Any suggestions please.
  10. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    If you don't plan an amp the said focal series is useful. I think they are priced to a point where they have diminishing returns. In other words they ask for more premium than they truely deserve.

My suggestion is wait for dampening sheets. Don't spend now. Also try and source whole packet of dampmat. And use it thoroughly. If you want to go that route. One or two sheets here and there is a popular sham running among ICE shops.
    BIPLAB DUTTA likes this.