1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tata Indica was once a CityRover. *bad headline*

Discussion in 'Non FIAT Cars and two wheelers' started by meples, Nov 12, 2014.

1. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    I didn't know this. Rover sold the Tata Indica as City Rover in the UK for a short 2-3 years. Here's how it looked.

2004_Rover_CityRover.jpg

When they launched it, it was apparently priced high (£6,495*) and the junta was not impressed. When TopGear tried to do a review of the car, Rover refused to lend a car to them to test it. What followed was hilarious. Here's the video:

On the contrary, the Tata Indica has not only survived but thrived in India. If anything, it is an icon and one of the most recognised cars on Indian roads. As an Indian, I hate it when James May (in the show) discards it as a piece of junk and calls it the "worst car I've driven on this show." But, to be real it is indeed a bad car to drive. I don't know how I should feel - proud or embarrassed.

Anyway, I thought this was an interesting piece of trivia. So shared :)

*Wikipedia
  2. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Old news actually. There was a very big hype about Indica being exported and sold in UK under the Rover Tag. UK quality cars to common Indians. LOL
  3. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Yes, this was quite in news when it was exported to UK. It wasn't pretty successful.

OT - Indica's outer shell is heavily inspired from one of the Fiat models.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Tata Indica and Fiat Palio were designed by the I.DE.A Institute, Italy.

I was actually contemplating to buy Indica when I was planning to buy my first car in 2005. I then ended up with used Palio 1.2. :)
    pabhishek likes this.
  5. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Destiny has always made you a FIAT guy. Not so in my case. My first car for Indica Xeta, petrol version. For a first car, it was put to good use. After 51K kms in 4 and half years, sold it due to niggling issues.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Well after reading "indeed a bad car to drive" which is definitely an exaggeration :rolleyes:, I tried to figure out what is the real perception of the end users. I mean as good as the Top Gear show can be; many can see just how overzealous these guys are in so many of their comments and statements, esp. shunning something which doesn't need to be.

Here is the truth I would like to believe in and a quote from here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_CityRover
    Not to forget the successful long distance drive of 2007 Himalayan Challenge Endurance through deserts and mountains, also mentioned in the article. The biggest thorn as far as sales in UK was concerned was the pricing which is an undeniable fact.
  7. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Same here, sold off my xeta after 66k km and 6.5 years. Sold due to niggling issues which once resolved seemed to lead to another one.
  8. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Indica was not only exported to UK, it was also exported to South Africa. I still remember how it was bashed in the hands of South African Auto reviewers during that time.
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The question is for a 'value car' is it such a bad car for the limited period of ownership and use that one could or should expect out of it. Ask the thousands of taxi and tourist guys who operate these in metros, esp. so in Mumbai. I think not.
  10. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @asimpleson, if you buy it as a VFM car, the initial capital is surely low, but after the warranty period its no more a VFM car. If you talk in terms of taxi usage, those guys do not bother about how the car is or what the problems are. I have seen taxis driving with rear wheel wobbling on the highway. They are least worried about the niggles in the car.

I hope that those niggles are resolved in the later versions.