1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Tappet Adjustment?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Sat-Chit-ananda, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Manual says to engage the clutch at the time of starting.
  2. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    That is one rule I always forget to follow. :uh
    Any idea what is the fallout?
  3. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @Sat-Chit-Ananda

the 1.3 MJD has hydraulic tappets (or hydraulic lifters as they call it) So no tappet clearance is needed

Check your engine oil level. It might have gone low. But if that was the case you should have got an indication on the dash. Still, check the engine oil level and top up if required and then check.
  4. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nothing significant. It's just to make sure that you don't crank the engine in gear. Some forget to slot to neutral before starting the car. The other benefit MAY be that when you press the clutch you are disengaging a lot of components from rotating. This will result in your starter motor drawing THAT much less current from the battery. This might ensure a better / longer battery life. That's the only benefit I see to it.
  5. I checked the engine Oil level , it's about 3mm off the full mark, TASS guy says it's down by about 150 ml doesn't need top-up is he right?

-Sat
  6. Folks,

I had second service done at 13500 kms, as i felt oil needs a change due to high engine noise and little rough feeling.

Oil change has done wonders to the refinement of the engine , engine noise ids down by 70%.
    Punto feels more relaxed ,I reset the trip meter to find out ho much FE i got for my trip to office,it was whopping 16 kmpl.

I feel use of synthetic oil by Fiat increases the duration of run-in period of the car,so it takes ~ 10-12 K kms to settle down.
    -Sat