1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

T-R-I-P - The Plans and Outcomes

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by sathishgv, Oct 3, 2013.

1. vtlreja2

vtlreja2 Amatore

rajkot
    mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    hi guys recetly did my highway trip covering 1.3 k kms to udaipur and nathdwara, rajasthan

covered 500 kms in 8 hrs with two breaks of 30 mins each,

mileage camed out 20.5 with AC on knob 1.

some snaps of winding ghats,

IMG_20140526_132151.jpg

The bullying Effect
    IMG_20140526_084923.jpg

IMG_20140528_155118.jpg

IMG_20140526_131819.jpg

The lake
    IMG_20140525_184159.jpg
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Since, its summer time one cannot overlook mangoes. We too did not on our travel. We stopped by mango orchards lining on both sides of the NH5 @ 15.156748, 80.008039. On both sides of the Highway a lot of mango sellers were lined up stretching to almost a couple of kms. We stopped for some photo shoot inside the orchards and also some mango shopping.

Entrance to one side of the orchard
    DSCN3560.JPG

Mangoes in their natural place
    DSCN3562.JPG

Father-son duo
    DSCN3563.JPG

DSCN3564.JPG

DSCN3565.JPG

My better half with unripe bitter mango
    DSCN3566.JPG

THE MACHINE
    DSCN3567.JPG

The orchard ends after this sign board
    DSCN3568.JPG

MANGO 'MALA'
    DSCN3569.jpg

DSCN3570.JPG
    3 people like this.
  3. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    After buying some mangoes, its now time for lunch. I was hoping that i can reach Nellore for lunch, but my stomach was not ready for that. Also, my car's dashboard alerted the status of its stomach as well. A renault duster was in hot pursuit and i took the opportunity to reduce some travel time. Suddenly on the opposite side i saw an HP petrol pump with a restaurant. I know that I cannot take chances with the fuel level in my car, so decided to take right on the divider and filled my car upto brim on the HP petrol pump. The name of the petrol pump was AUTO CARE CENTRE, GOWRAVARAM, NH 5. Attached with that was a family restaurant and dhaba (veg & Non Veg). Decided to try as we were very hungry. The place was not crowded and it had AC hall too. The rest rooms were of western type but not well designed and maintained but was usable. Though we were skeptical about the food quality to our surpirse the quality and taste of the food was very good. The person who attended us was very polite too. Overall a very good experience there. Some photo of that place.

The HP petrol pump
    DSCN3573.JPG

The front of the restaurant
    DSCN3574.JPG

DSCN3575.JPG

AC room in the restaurant
    DSCN3576.JPG

That smile should indicate the taste of the food
    DSCN3578.JPG

After lunch, i did not stop in between till i reached chennai. We reached chennai @ 18:00 hrs in the evening. Due to the timing and to avoid traffic i decided to take the chennai bypass. It took 45 minutes to reach my home via tambaram on chennai bypass. The trip sheet is below from hanuman junction to chennai

hanuman jn to chennai.PNG
    2 people like this.
  4. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    After nh 5 now its time for nh 45

So, after a break of two days in chennai we started the next leg upto thiruvarur. Started from chennai @ 08:15 hrs and reached thiruvarur @ 15:30 hrs. The total travelling time was 7 hrs 15 mins. This time i wanted to try some different route (for T-R-I-P), so instead of the normal route of NH 45C+ SH (vikravandi-panruti-sethiyathopu-Bhuvanagiri-Mayiladuthurai-Thiruvarur) I took the the route covering NH 45+ SH 69 + SH 70 + SH 212 + NH 45A / SH 49 + SH 64 + SH 23 (Chennai-Ulundurpet-Virudhachalam-Sethiyathopu-Bhuvanagiri-Mayiladuthurai-Thiruvarur). Also, i thought the road conditions from sethiyathopu to vikravandi via neyveli, panruti would not be good (as per previous experience). Though i took some extra time to cover the distance, the new route was added to my list of roads to cover in India.

First of all this is the first time i am driving in NH 45 after vikravandi. The road is very good. Stopped at LIPSIP, kumbakonam coffee shop, somewhere after paranur toll. This place is specially mentioned as the rest room there were very clean. Also, the coffee was good. Stopped to buy some jackfruit after sengurichi. Had to take left immediately after the toll plaza but missed had to take a u turn, went under the bridge at Edaikkal (11.677276, 79.272805) then onto ulundurpet bus stand from there took SH 69 till virudhachalam.

SH 69:
    Typical roads in a village. Not so wide but decent due to less traffic banked by green fields with cattle intervention here and there. Felt fresh air with the aroma of soil after a long time. Switched off AC and opened the windows to feel the air but had to again wind up the glass due to slight drizzle (which actually increased the aroma). The railway overbridge construction at Erumanur (11.545983, 79.318034) will slow you down and you have to do some off roading in water filled holes (may be water filled due to rain). Other than these this route is quite good and you can maintain speed of 80 kmph easily.

SH 70:
    Reached Virudachalam and after some enquries got hold of SH 70 towards sethiyathopu. Traffic was medium inside virudhachalam and afterwards the road towards sethiyathopu is not as smooth as SH 69 but not too bad even. One can cruise comfortably @ 60 kmph. The roads where heavily patched up as we neared the sethiyathopu junction. At this point we got back into the usual route of bhuvanagiri-Chidambaram-Sirkazhi-Vaitheeswaran Kovil-Mayiladuthurai-Thiruvarur.

Later only during the return trip that i realized that i could have saved some time by taking NH 45 C but would have missed the opportunity of inhaling fresh air with aroma of soil and a new route to describe on behalf of T-R-I-P.

Sorry, unfortunately no photo as we had to stick to the schedule.
    1 person likes this.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Very nice and detailed update ::T.
    1 person likes this.
  6. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Thank you Ravi.
  7. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    Your car looks nice Satish, that colour is rare on a Punto. Looks like you and your family really enjoyed the drive and the places you passed by. It's nice this way, than rushing to get to your destination as quickly as possible, which we generally do.

I await the end of this T-R-I-P! :)
    1 person likes this.
  8. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The return trip

Thank you 5u3zEr0. Now-a-days i am too much engulfed by the FB candy :D so could not keep the flow. I beg pardon for that. The return trip was pretty straight forward. I had a package along with me on the return trip and the package is this

DSCN3579.jpg

Apart from this I had some furniture too like a Wrought Iron Rocker chair, a writing desk similar to what munshiji's used to have. The punto was completely filled that I did not have space even for reclining my front seats. It was filled to the brim. I started from thiruvarur @ 04:00 a.m and reached chennai @10:30 hrs via chidambaram, sethiyathopu, vadalur, neyveli, panruti, vikravandi and then the usual NH45. Intially I planned to continue my journey till vijayawada after having lunch at home in chennai and stay overnight at vijayawada. But due to some unovoidable circumstances I left chennai only on sunday afternoon. So, this time on my return journey I had a target to reach my destination in a fixed time of 24 hrs which I usually don't do.

I left Chennai @ 13:15 hrs, reached KAZA toll plaza at 08:30 hrs. Had my dinner and decided to take rest there itself. Took rest for almost 3 hrs by sleeping on the front two seats (remember I cannot recline my seat back). Left KAZA toll palza @ 00:00 hrs reached vishakapatnam @ 07:30 hrs. Now I was pretty sure that I can reach paradip by afternoon. But after entering into odisha, i started dozing off. So, pulled over and took rest for about 1 hr after gurapalli toll and that 1 hr seemed to be like I was sleeping for a long time. Started off and touched bhubaneshwar @ 14:30 hrs and finally reached paradip @ 16:00 hrs.

The trip sheets:

chennai return trip 04-12-05-2014.PNG

chennai return trip2 04-12-05-2014.PNG

Now the summary of economics and the mileage of this trip

summary.PNG

The return trip was a hell lot of driving and i was driving like crazy, still I enjoyed it much. But the self realization part is that ITS TOO DANGEROUS TO SET TARGET WHILE DRIVING.

Enroute somewhere around 16:00 hrs in the evening I saw a red punto with KA registration parked on the side of NH 5 may be for a nature break. Did not stop to talk as I had to stick to my schedule. Is any body here was travelling on 11-05-2014 on NH5?

So, one more trip for T-R-I-P comes to an end only to begin some other day.

P.S: I am completing this travelouge exactly after 2 months and 1 day after I completed the actual travel. afraid of :hit so...:helmet
    1 person likes this.
  9. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Well, this year is going to be a memorable one for me. As i said, the journey ends to begin some other day and its time to plan for that some other day. This time i am planning to explore the northern central part of india. The destination is KHAJURAHO. I searched this forum for details about this place and i found only a mention about his place. So if any one of you have already covered this place then I just want to know whether one day is sufficient to cover this place.

Tentative itinerary:

Day 1: Paradip-Sambalpur-Bilaspur
    Day 2: Bilaspur-Amarkantak-Khajuraho
    Day 3: Khajuraho site seeing
    Day 4: Khajuraho-Jabalpur-Bilaspur
    Day 5: Bilaspur-Paradip.

My plan as of now is, Cover Sambalpur, Amarkantak and Dhuandar Falls near Jabalpur apart from Khajuraho. If one single day is not sufficient for khajuraho then I will skip one or two places and use that for Khajuraho. Friends, pour in your suggestions and information, no matter how trivial it may be.
  10. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Roads in MP are not in good condition. Please be careful, especially if you are planning trip during monsoon.
    All the best for the trip.
    1 person likes this.