1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

T-R-I-P - The Plans and Outcomes

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by sathishgv, Oct 3, 2013.

1. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Looking at these numbers I think you drove your 90HP to its limit.

Around 260 liters of diesel for 3651kms is bit high IMO with mileage of 13.xx kmpl.
    1 person likes this.
  2. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    ^^Or it may be due to the fact that i have a faulty HVAC or i kept the AC on for almost 4 hrs on idling during rest. Sure that i drove spiritedly on the return trip but did not push it beyond 140 kmph. My lowest average speed is 40.67 kmph covering a distance of 12 kms and the highest average speed is 95 kmph covering a distance of 38 kms excluding the period where i took breaks in which the average is still lower.
  3. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    My initial plan for the trip was to avoid driving at night and accordingly I planned to start at 04:00 AM but i was behind schedule by half-an-hour.

IMG_20140504_042835.jpg

We started at 04:30 AM and we could cross bhubaneshwar by 06:00 hrs. Some sections of over bridge in NH 5 is complete and now a lot of time can be saved. One such flyover is the Jaydev vihar flyover and another, i think in front of sky automobiles (maruthi showroom) but the latter I am not sure about the location.

After crossing bhubaneshwar and before khurda i saw a group of 4 men in bikes racing past me. They were on a trip i suppose as all them had backpacks. It was around 06:30 AM and i managed to click snap with my mobile of only the men on cruiser bikes and two persons on street bikes were very fast, only to get scolding from my co-passenger:D.

IMG_20140504_062341.jpg

IMG_20140504_062351.jpg

This time I wanted to give sufficient breaks for my wife and son so that they don't get bored (learnt from the complaints received earlier from my wife) while I drive for a long time. We had packed our breakfast and was searching for a shade to have our breakfast. Luckily we saw a small mango orchard, very small with only some 10 trees. This place is after the Gangapada Toll, NH5.

DSCN3524.jpg

DSCN3525.jpg

My son was very happy as he felt that we are having a picnic. After this continued driving and entered AP only to be greeted by checking squads as polling day was on 7th in 64 costal districts of AP. Had to stop for a total of 3 times till i crossed vishakapatnam.

One Interesting thing i want to mention here is that, after srikakulam I saw a mobile pollution checking van above which a board was there saying Andhra Pradesh RTO. A person asked me to stop and I did stop. He came over to me and asked for my pollution certificate and I produced it. After scanning it, he said to me that this pollution certificate is issued in odhisa and it is not valid in AP:eek:. I got very angry and at the same time felt hilarious. He asked me to come over to the vehicle. I smiled at him and demanded back my certificate and told him to note my car number and do what ever he wants and I set off. What a way to fool people and make money???
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Both of us were very hungry, myself and punto and was searching for a place to fill our stomachs. Initially i thought of reaching vishakapatnam and have lunch there. But on the waym, BP Anandapuram caught my attention. It was on the right side and i missed the divider in front of it so had to take a u-turn on the next divider. The BP had facility for card payment as i prefer to make payment through cards. It also had BP Ghar attached to it. So filled the tank to the brim and went to fill my stomach.

Day before starting the journey one of my friend remarked that we should look for clean restrooms to get freshen up. That was good idea and so i am including reviews of the restrooms too. The Rest room of the BP Ghar was clean but the pipes, commodes etc were damaged and also some doors did not have latches. Everyone got freshen up and had food. Regarding food, it was good but it was too hot and spicy. I know people in andhra likes too much of chilly in their food but it was little too much for me to handle. Anyways i was so hungry that i gulped the food. Thought of taking some rest there but skipped the idea as i did not find sufficient shade to park the car and take rest.

Decided to stay at vijayawada. Since i did not make any reservation thought of using India 501 offered by Central Hotel Desk maintained by HVK face book forum. About this product, you pay Rs. 501/- to make booking for 5 nights on the go without any reservation. The Hotel charges has to be paid directly and not included in this price. Hotel accommodation can be obtained just before two or three hours. For more details look here

Contacted H V Kumar sir and informed my plan to stay at Vijayawada.

Crossing Rajhamundry at sunset...................
    DSCN3542.jpg

Reached Hanuman Junction and stopped for dinner. Since, i had some issue with whatsapp I called H V Kumar sir for confirmation of the hotel accomodation. He said that accommodation is available at higher price than what i had requested and since election day is just a couple of days ahead all the hotels were full. Thanked him and said that I will make arrangements on my own. We had dinner at a hotel in Rayalahampi Superbazar, Vijayawada Rd, Bapulapadu, Hanuman Junction, Andhra Pradesh 521110. We inquired about hotel to the server an he told that there is a hotel behind. We went there and talked to the person at the reception and rooms were availabe. AC rooms for 1000/-. The rooms were decent and guess what they had parking facility too. Its right on the NH5 and thought we cannot find a better place than this to spend the night. Retired for the day.

The name of the hotel is Hotel Rayalahampi and the contact number is +91-7799999220. You can also contact Amar, +91-9505002884 who was there in the reception. As an added information he said they allow pets too. But sorry guys i could not take pictures of the hotel as we were very tired.

The details of toll and the distance covered so far

pdrp to hanuman jn.PNG
    2 people like this.
  5. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    You drove for 16 hours on day one that is a lot! Your average covered for the day works out 57 kms an hour, 905 / 16, which is surprisingly low for four laned road. How much time were you not driving? How were the road conditions?
  6. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    Nice travelogue Sathish :). Waiting to read more. from couple of pics it looks like you you clicked them while driving. Should not do that.

Sent from my XT1022 using Tapatalk
  7. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yeah, it was a lot of driving but that's the advantage one gets driving during day time. As is said, I don't want my family to get bored so i did make frequent stops. The major two stops were for breakfast and lunch, approx 30 min and 45 min respectively. The roads are absolutely fine. I think you can see more average speed on my return but for that you have to wait a little as i don't want to break in the middle.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Thanks shams. Absolutely right i should not do that and I will not do that. Except for the clips about the bikes all others were taken by my wife.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    satish your thread title sounds like road runner :) continous drive.i too do lot of continous drive.
    Few questions here:-
    How do you feel after long drives,any health issues ?
    What do you prefer the most day or night drives ?
    in your post you have mentioned the stats like IRCTC train timings,how do you maintain this ? i mean a book and pen always below the hand brake ? :)
    1 person likes this.
  9. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Ganges, I wish I keep driving :steering always for that I need to change my profession to
    images.jpg
    1. Till now no such issues regarding health. But definitely I feel hell lot of tired.
    2. I found day driving to be less tiresome and more enjoyable than the night drives. Night drives exhausts you very quickly, both mentally and physically but you can get better average speed during night. Driving the whole night brings monotony and boredom at the end (my personal experience and opinion)
    3. I keep only a pen. And I note down only the kms on the back of toll receipt and from that I get the time. Also, from receipts of Fuel stations I get time. The only thing I note down is the mileage of my odo at every toll and fuel stations.
    1 person likes this.
  10. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Second lap of the chennai trip

‚ÄčI have become lazy as a weasel these days. Can't keep the flow. Anyways the second lap of the driving was started on 05/05/2014 from Hanuman Junction. Had a good night sleep, woke up fresh and was happy to see that it rained last night. That shower should bring down the temperature a little down. Inspected the oil levels, had break fast at the same place where we had dinner and set off at 08:30 in the morning. We had a whole day and so did not have any plan for the day. Reached vijayawada and we lost our way at Benz circle and had to inquire in a place or two to get back onto NH5.

After crossing vijayawada, Six lane wide roads and newly laid tarmac welcomed us. I was literally shouting (in my mind, ofcourse) HIT THE PEDAL, BURN THE GAS!!!!. But some other thing came to my mind. Why not let my other half, in fact my better half (not related to driving :D) to drive?. So, pulled over and handed over the steering wheel to my wife and took the camera in my hand. She was a little nervous at the start as this was her first time driving in a six laned NH but soon the sheer pleasure of driving took over and she was comfortably cruising at 110 kmph. Wow we did not know that we are cruising at that speed till I looked in the speedometer.

Some pictures............

The trip when we started.

IMG_20140505_083230.jpg

Some shots of the six lane NH5. The sight of Black tarmac below and white clouds above were a feast to the eyes but could not able to reproduce it exactly on photo

DSCN3546.jpg

DSCN3547.jpg

DSCN3549.jpg

DSCN3550.jpg

The energy behind me is now also controlling the 90 HP energy ;) (concentrating hard :))

DSCN3548.jpg

Felt like we were driving towards a place between two snow clad peaks

DSCN3554.jpg

Now she is confident and takes the machine to triple digit speeds

DSCN3555.jpg

At Chilakaluripet. Here we come chennai!!!! only 363 kms more!!!!!

DSCN3559.jpg
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    2 people like this.