1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

T-R-I-P - The Plans and Outcomes

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by sathishgv, Oct 3, 2013.

1. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    A small weekend trip for T-R-I-P. we went to two places, one saptasajiya and the other kapilash. For the up trip upto saptasajiya we took the paradaip-cuttack-athagarh-saptasajiya and then from saptasajiya-dhenkanal-kapilash. The return journey is from kapilash-dhenkanal-manguli-cuttack-paradip.

The maps:

From paradip to saptasajiya
    Capture saptasajiya up map.jpg

From saptasajiya to kapilash
    Capture kapilash up map.jpg

From kapilash to paradip
    Capture paradip dn map.jpg

This trip coverd the SH-12, Athagarh road, NH-42.

Both the up and down travel time was 4 hrs. No tolls in these routes. Now the road conditions.

SH-12:

This is a recently built cement road which is nearing completion. Smooth roads and only <3 kms left to be opened on both side. The traffic conditions is very sparse except for some major towns falling en route where the traffic becomes slightly dense. The total travelling time in this stretch was 1.5 hrs.

ATHAGARH Road:

This road is a mix of freshly laid tarmac and some old and under construction roads. Basically this is a sinlge road at many places winding through unexplored villages of odisha. At some places we have to drive through some picturesque locations with river running parallel to the roads on one side and small hills on the other side. One needs to drive inside forests too for a small stretch. Traffic is almost nill but due to small winding roads, the speed will be limited.

Saptasajiya:

Good place for trekking. Getting fast polluted by homo sapiens. Was expecting some water falls (thanks to google images) but disappointed as could not find one. People were saying that we need to do trekking for 5 kms into the mountains to get a view of seven hills and a waterfall. May be i will explore it some other time as a forced bachelor.

Kapilash:

From saptasajiya to kapilash one need to reach dhenkanal. From dhenkanal to kapilash the roads are butter smooth but its only two lane with sparse traffic. One can easily maintain 80 kmph on these roads. To reach the temple at the top of the mountain there is a well laid road with some hair pin bends. I loved those bends as this was the first time i am driving in a ghat road. Apart from the temple one can do trekking in these mountains too.

NH-42

On the return I took the NH-42 route. I got the feedback earlier that this road was not good but to my surprise i found that it was very good road apart from some really bad patches. Bad in the sense really really bad where i could not avoid scrapping the under body even at dead slow speeds. But one disadvantage in this route is that the traffic was very heavy.

Pardon me for photo-less post.
    1 person likes this.
  2. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    UPDATE: NH-5

This tuesday did a trip to chennai from paradip and here are the updates for NH-5. Myself and my friend travelled in Ertiga (my friend's car). Overall a nice ride got 750 kms on full tank. My friends grin refused to vanish from his face for a long time.

Bridge work is going on in the link road near cuttack. So the entire traffic in NH-5 is diverted to one side. Keep at least 15 mins for crossing this point. The traffic is not stagnant but is very slow moving.

Cross bhubaneshwar and the roads are recently patched up nevertheless one can easily do 100+ kmph in this stretch. After entering AP at Icchapuram, the NH-5 greets you with small pot holes, not alarming but could be irritating everytime you go over it. So needs some skills to tackle those pot holes (better practice the toughest slalom course you can find ;))

After srikakulam, the roads are good as usual upto vijayawada. After vijayawada, six lane conversion is still going on but some stretches have been completed and opened for traffic. One can't resist pressing the pedal to the metal on these roads but beware of sudden lane crossing by auto's and two wheeler's. The travel time from vijayawada to chennai has come down atleast by 1 1/2 hrs.
    2 people like this.
  3. SoumenPaul

SoumenPaul Regolare

Bangalore
    What is the total km/time taken from Paradip to Chennai and did you take any breaks ?
  4. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    The total time from paradip to chennai was 27 hrs. Since two of us was driving alternately, the time where we both took rest was only 1 hour but due to an accident we got delayed by 5 hrs.
    1 person likes this.
  5. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Plan for the year 2014

Guys, Time has come to plan for the year 2014. This time its going to be a hill station most preferably gangtok. Rough plan is for 10 days in may end. Started research on the trip only thing that worries is the rainfall during that period. As usual "HELP" in the form of inputs needed from you guys.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  6. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Well........the plan can change to the other extreme part of India from that originally planned.........:dance:dancing
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Other extreme part would be Rajsthan or Gujarat???
    Those area might to be too hot in May end.
  8. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    oh sorry, i missed to mention that the "other extreme part of the great himalayan range in india"......My bad.
    1 person likes this.
  9. sathishgv

sathishgv Regolare

Paradip, odisha
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    So, its decided now. I am dropping the plan for LEH and going to stick to the original plan of Gangtok. Only one change its not going to be the end of may but 1st week of may.

gangtok iternary.PNG
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  10. 6 days in gangtok??or someother places you planning from there??