1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

T-Jet or MJD Linea?

Discussion in 'Car Purchase Queries' started by Satyajit, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Satyajit

Satyajit

Mumbai
    Hello everyone. Just joined this forum. Have been visiting it since I first stumbled upon it last month. Must say, I have enjoyed reading Linea related post including ownership reviews etc.

My infatuation with the Linea dates back a couple of years ever since it was first launched in '09. Right from the time I first saw the 'Admiration guaranteed' ad, I was hooked to the beauty... and have been every since.

You know you're hooked when you look for the car all the time on road, keep browsing every bit of info available, watch all the youtube videos again and again, and yet want some more! Anyway, finally the time has now come for me to go ahead and take the plunge.. after much procrastination.

There are some serious contenders like the VW Vento, the Verna, the new Fiesta and the ANHC. Don't really like any of them. TD'd the Verna, but apart from the engine, wasn't impressed. Also, having owned a Santro for a long time, did not want to go for another Hyundai car.

Now my dilemma is which car to choose: the T-Jet or the Multijet. The classic petrol vs. diesel question... and not without reason.

I've TD'd the T-Jet a few months ago and love everything about it. However, the recent hike in petrol costs has gotten me thinking seriously about going for a petrol car. With petrol costing over 70, there's more than a 25/- difference in costs. Can't be totally ignored.

My heart says go for the T-jet. The factors in favour of the jet are the 16" alloys, 170mm GC, sporty engine and better overall insides. However I would not like to completely rule out the 1.3 Multijet (E+ option) just because of these factors.

I'd like to post this to the enlightened souls on TFI to help me out. My monthly running varies from 700 to 1000 kms. A highway trip once in a month or 2.

I called up a dealer in Saki Naka and inquired about the 1.6. As of now they are unsure if it's going to be launched (if at all) in '12... but the lady did give me more than a reason to suspect that it's very much possible.

Sorry for the rather long post! What should I do? T-jet or 1.3 Multijet?.. or wait for the elusive 1.6 MJD ?
  2. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Welcome :)
    Whats going to be your monthly usage, that would help out to figure out diesel or petrol
  3. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    ^^^He has already mentioned monthly usage of 700 to 1000 kms

Satyajit - With that kind of monthly usage the fuel cost difference between Petrol & Diesel would be very high. MJD will give you a smile everytime you are at a fuel bunk whereas T Jet would give you wide grin whenever you are on the Road. Depends on your likings & priorities. Take Back to Back TD of both & then follow your preferences.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    700 to 1000 KM, is on the border which decides Petrol Vs Diesel.
    Now depends, how much important is the fuel bill for you. If you are not one who calculates fuel efficiency and cost, go for T-Jet. Or go for MJD.
  5. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Wait for the 1.6 MJD if you can, also see if your monthly running is bound to increase. I'm all in favour of jet if you can afford to foot the fuel bill. There is no match for the adrenaline rush which the Jet offers.

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Satyajit, T-JET vs MJD is a no match. T-JET is an absolute G-Forces unleashing machine. Even owners of higher segment cars feel the power it houses. I have heard stories about Laura owners from T-JET owners.

To tempt you further, here is a Micheal Schumacher TV commercial for the T-JET. :D

BUT, MJD excels when it comes to fuel bills. Linea MJD will give a FE of 15-18kmpl in city and 20-25kmpl on highways depending upon the driving style and traffic. Diesel costs Rs40/liter whereas Petrol costs Rs70/liter. T-JET will return 10-12kmpl in city and 14-18kmpl on highways.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  7. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    whatever be the monthly usage, diesel always makes sense here in india, unless you are filthy rich or own a petrol pump !! sorry no offense to anybody here. I have seen a full fledged excel spreadsheet calculation and comparison about this in another similar forum.. let me see if can get that.. will share it asap....
  8. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    T-JET cots roughly Rs6-7/Km whereas MJD costs roughly Rs2-3/Km.

At 1000Km/month, fuel saved with MJD is anywhere close to Rs4000/month. Or anywhere close to Rs48,000/year. No wonder production of T-Jet is currently halted at Ranjangaon. Both 1.3MJD E-Pack and 1.4 T-JET Plus have roughly the same pricing IIRC.
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  9. Satyajit

Satyajit

Mumbai
    Thanks for the response guys.

@Paddleshifter: I've seen the Schumacher ad a dozen times. :) It's an amazing car. No doubt about it. My heart is all for the T-Jet. Deep down I know if I just "settle" for fuel economy, I'll always have a regret I missed out on the other goodies the Jet brings. But I just wanted to be sure that I'm not being foolish. I just do not want to underestimate the MJD. It's giving about 20ps lower but 2 NM of torque higher. How significant are those figures? Does the car feel a wee bit underpowered or is that all bull?

@Teky: Don't know for sure if they are going to launch the 1.6MJD. It's something even the dealers aren't very confident of and neither are they denying it outright. Kinda keeping us guessing.
    Would be great if they did, but wouldn't that kill the T-Jet? Or would it just be another choice for potential buyers? I mean, speaking for myself if they did launch the 1.6 all the other ++ features, I'm sure I'd go for it.

@VahanPujari: Yes, the TD of the MJD is pending. Did TD of the jet from Concorde at Prabhadevi... loved the drive. The missus found it comfortable and quite plush. Said it feels like a segment above. Now, that's important too :) I should TD the MJD too so I don't die wondering.

@Varun: I'd really like that, just to be in the know and make an informed decision. Thanks for that. Isn't it also just a matter of time before diesel prices are deregulated too? I mean taxing petrol is hardly going to bring big money to government coffers anyway.
  10. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Satyajit

My perspective is that 700 to 1000 kms a month is not much of a running to warrant a diesel. Also, the current discounts make it a mouth watering deal. You can easily get atleast a whopping 1 lakh ruppee off on the on-road price of the TJet with all discounts going on

If your running is around 700 to 1000 kms a month with weekend drives, then I presume that your daily running would be around 10 kms one way. I am not sure if you will get a good mileage with diesel with such running, maybe other members can comment

Now the last and most important factor for me - how hard the clutch is. The clutch in a diesel car has a longer play and is normally more stiff then the petrol counterpath. For me this is a big worry as it could worsen my back pain.

My view is you should go for the TJet, but take a test drive of both of them back to back and then decide