1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

T-Jet Life

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by Soumik, Apr 1, 2016.

?

T-Jet Life Cycle

1. 50,000 to 80,000 km

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 80,000 to 120,000 km

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 120,000 to 150,000 km

11.1%
  4. More than 150,000 km

88.9%
  1. Soumik

Soumik Amatore

Kolkata
    Linea T-Jet
    What is the lifecycle (in km) of a T-Jet engine and the turbo, considering that it is maintained properly?
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Engine can work much more than 1.5lacs depending on usage pattern and preventive care. Turbo is dependent on preventive care plus manufacturing quality and design etc. Premature failure can happen in rare cases in all turbos irrespective of brands of cars or turbos. But we have people who covered much more than lac kms on first turbo on an MJD which works in tad harsher environments. So 80k and more kms is very common to put a safe guess. Subject to proper care. Remember oil change at 7.5-8k is best for most Fiats irrespective of company schedules; more like preventive care. Turbos share that oil.
    GirishRaghu likes this.
  3. Soumik

Soumik Amatore

Kolkata
    Linea T-Jet
    That being said, would you consider the life of a T-Jet to be less than that of a MJD under similar maintenance?
  4. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    Petrol engines have longer life as against Diesel ones(given the quality of diesel being sold in India)... given the Tjet engine is a derivative of Fiats Diesel Turbojet engine... it is going to go strong beyond 150000KM and more.. Just keep it well maintained and drive sensibly.
    Rajen likes this.
  5. Soumik

Soumik Amatore

Kolkata
    Linea T-Jet
    By saying "sensibly" do you mean that I should NOT push the turbo all the time? :)
  6. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    By sensibly I mean... Not driving like a loonie as if every red light is a start line for next quarter mile race... not changing gears like a pendu taxi driver.. that should suffice. :D
  7. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Sensible driving is about driving in the optimum RPM band for most part i.e not driving in the lowest RPMS always (just to extract the best FE) as it would lug the engine and on the other hand,not redlining it all the time. One should operate in between these 2 extremes for a happy engine. And, you dont have worry about the turbo, if you are idling yout car everyday. This is true with any turbo engine, and fiats are known to make reliable engines.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  8. Sujit508

Sujit508 Amatore

Bangalore , Karnataka
    Bangalore
    Retro / Classic FIAT

Me Feels, that the Tjet motor can outlast a MJD. IN general a petrol engine can outlast a Diesel engine.

i.e. In a petrol engine, the compression ratio is fairly less compared to a diesel. Of-course diesels are overbuilt. But still the temperatures and pressures at which a diesel works, even a small issue can escalate quickly.

I have been following your Tjet thread. Awesome milestones. Just be careful on the oil change intervals. 15k would be too long IMHO. 10 k interval will be good for the engine.

There are cars with high mileage on petrol engines. read 1.8 lac kms on Palio GTX. with just regular mineral oil , 5k drain interval .
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Sensibly or Respon-Sensibly :wacky: one could also do the warm up and cool-down routine to prevent turbo coking; since it's not a Subaru and their genius turbo cooling design.
  10. punto11

punto11 Amatore

assam
    for me a diesel lasts much longer then a petrol. But the diesel will have much more complicated electronics and other mechanicals which may fail in between. Diesel has better lubrication properties the petrol. Most important point is that a healthy disel engine needs highway miles to clear up it's throat and to be healthy