1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Switchable ECU remaps by Wolf Performance Tuning on my GP

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by MattJ, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    if remote is added,just with press of MAP1 MAP2 or MAP5 it should not work.definitely there should another press of button from the remote asking for confirmation and this should go in hand with message displaying on the MID as well.isnt it ?
  2. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Every action on the car sends out messages over the CAN. Wolf's approach is to read these signals and switch maps based on the action. The action has to be intentional and not something that one would normally do in the course of daily driving - like pressing the A pedal without cranking or passing 4100 on the diesel motor. I think either approach is good and does not need any additional hardware. Additional hardware will need to be on the CAN, send out signals and then there needs to be code in the ECU to read that signal, understand and switch maps. By making use of the existing signals, albeit at unexpected times, I think Wolf's approach is great, as it preempts the need for new signals and deciphering them.

They have done the same in the Skoda 1.8 using the CC switch. But since the GP / MJD Linea do not come with CC option, they have chosen another sequence to switch maps. Using the temp gauge needle to indicate the chosen map is pure genius, IMHO.

Rajan
    1 person likes this.
  3. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    My bad i overlooked that. I guess parking light switch and wiper action controller are common, so combination of this two will not only change the map settings, but will give a visual signal too :D
    Car following the rear will be warned in advance about change in the mood of car, similary someone coming from font will also get the signal about change in mood along with driver knowing which setting has got selected
    1 person likes this.
  4. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    How ?

u can press + or - button to select desired map
    1 person likes this.
  5. MattJ

MattJ

Kochi
    But you only have 0,1,2 & 3 for the headlight controller right? You would required one more for the stock. But maybe letting go of one map, we can overcome this.
    But i guess we would require an override procedure so that we dont just control the lights instead of the map switch while driving. A combination of buttons perhaps.
  6. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    Ignition mode and headlight off mode there is no indication on mid even headlight level motor doesn't work Also

here we want to use only hardware buttons so its quiet possible
  7. MattJ

MattJ

Kochi
    But on the fly?
  8. Aniket

Aniket Superiore

Thane, Mumbai
    shift on fly will work on same like now its shifting on rpm or peddle
  9. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    I have a question. Suppose I am running on Map 2 and I want to go to Map 4. I revv until 4100 rpm and it switches directly to the Map 4. What should one do to come back to Map 2 again on the fly?

What if I have no intentions of switching from the Map 2 and given the conditions I revv beyond 4100? Even if there is a way to get back to the same map, wouldn't this be an irritating process? Or is the car restricted to go beyond 4000 rpm in other maps except Stock?

I would personally wish to have a remote or button on the dashboard to switch the maps on the fly.
    1 person likes this.
  10. MattJ

MattJ

Kochi
    You can only switch back after you turn off the car and switch the maps. As of now the on the fly system works only switching to the highest map.

And yes it is irritable if you rev beyond 4100 with no intentions on wanting a map switch. It is a limitation. But this option only exists if people want an on the fly option otherwise we can switch between maps in the ignition mode. They also have an option on doing away with the on the fly switch.

Myself include, would wish for a more direct control on switching the maps on the fly or otherwise. The systems on the FIATs is quite different and they are trying to research more on enabling this through some other efficient manner.

Hopefully soon! :)