1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Switchable ECU remaps by Wolf Performance Tuning on my GP

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by MattJ, Oct 7, 2013.

1. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai
    I thought that must be because they are having their own proprietary protocol which cannot be understood by regular OBD-ii devices, do you think that they have encrypted the data in the bus?

Though it may be a trade secret from wolf's point of view, it will be nice to share at least a very high level information on how they did this.

Thanks
    Gopi
  2. IIRC, tuners had issues in cracking the VW Vento/Skoda Rapid few years back but it is cracked now.
  3. MattJ

MattJ

Kochi
    I have spoken to the guys at Wolf, they will look thru this thread and get back to each query with more specific replies...I dont want to give half cooked responses :p
    8 people like this.
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    I had written an email to him and so far his answers were satisfactory. Also Siddharth from TOT is very knowledgable. But one of the 7th wonder for Fiat owners is the switchable maps. Kudos to Wolf team to crack the da vinci code.
    3 people like this.
  5. pemmasg

pemmasg Regolare

Chennai

It is all about the sheer curiosity we have!

Thanks
    Gopi
  6. MattJ

MattJ

Kochi
    Update on the remap trial run based on my dad's and my experiences:
    Note: Map1 is the stock one, it is set for switching.
    Map2:
    It is quite nice to drive in the city with power in the lower rpms. It has got a nice power delivery apt for city driving. FE was also quite satisfactory. But don't expect this one to help you on a battle on the highway unless you are cruising easily at top speeds.
    Dad liked this map and felt it similar to the delivery he gets on his 1.9D. He likes the low end torque he experienced on this. He agreed that this is best for city use.

Map 3: My personal favorite because of the beautiful engine noise and the power delivery. This is an absolute beast of a map.
    I used this to easily cruise past traffic on the highway. In the city though i was just bursting inside to just go past 3000 rpm but 2000 is the max i got ( at lower gears :p). You need bigger roads to enjoy this beaut's power.

My dad initially thought this was the best, but we will get later to that.
    Today he took my GP to work to Kothamangalam. As his Palio's upholstery was giving him discomfort.

So back to his experience. He started off with map2. But half way in, a coupla idiotic kids on a swift ( all pimped up n stuff) drifted behind him. They were a bit aggressive and honking around wanting to overtake him ( prob seeing the stickered car with a petes sticker *which i removed aptly a while ago* and a older person driving it must have gotten into their behaviour). Dad had let them pass but to further irritation, these chaps after overtaking just slowed up and was driving indifferent in front of him. Not giving way, etc. So he stopped the car, shifted to Map 3. Needless to say, those idiots didn't even expect the GP to come back from such a distance and overtake them. They tried a lot to overtake but it was too fast for them. In the end when my dad slowed down, these guys slowed down as well giving up :p

Map 4: A more refined version of map3. Sweet and silent. A silent killer of sorts.
    I liked the power delivery of this map too.
    Now my dad after trying this one out, found out to be the best! For him the power delivery was even more refined than map 3 and the sound was immaculate. He used this one on his way back and he had a skoda at his tail which also gave up trying to overtake him on the twists and turns from work.
    He find this map to be beautiful for long distance travelling, esp on curves.
    He even told me FIAT should go with Map 2 or 4 for the stock one. It enhances the driving experience. And he was all refreshed driving the GP with the remaps. Cos the added power helped ease the fatigue. Otherwise he prefers the Palio cos the Punto lacks the low end torque. He's going to use the GP for the next two days as well to 'rejuvenate' himself ;)
    8 people like this.
  7. Over a period of time one will stick a map be it highway or city, just like we have so many controls in the music systems initially we try them a lot but settled down to good one later.
    It has been while i touched the equalizer settings .
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
    2 people like this.
  8. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    MattJ, excuse me if you've already answered this and i've missed. But i'm really curious to know if its the stock FIAT ECU or not

- - - Merged Post - - -

Also map4 in that case seems to be extremely aggressive.
    Almost like a stage 2 map. Please correct me if i'm worng
  9. MattJ

MattJ

Kochi
    @theblack no problemos :)

It is the same old Stock ECU. They have just reprogrammed it.
    Actually Map 3 is the more aggressive one. Map 4 is a more refined take on it, with a more linear power delivery for the same.

@Sat-Chit-ananda that pov stands true for many cases. But when you have an option to switch for a more comfy city and a more fun highway drive then options would actually come in handy. My dad actually switched the diff maps according to the situation, more than I would have. Although I would personally shift between Map 2 and Map 3 more frequently ( one for urban driving and the other to piss off idiots trying to piss you off). Map 4 would be apt for my long distance drives.
    3 people like this.
  10. linuxmanju

linuxmanju

Bangalore
    Good to see Punto getting what it deserves the most to complement its wonderful dynamics and handling, The power on tap.

@mattj Did you have Petes before this one ?.. If so how do you compare both?, an insight would be very helpful. Secondly, @italia-linea has got his EGR disabled, did you get this done as well ?.

@sat-Chit-ananda Punto does not come with a EGT sensor and won't report the same on OBD/Torque. As a matter of fact many cars do not come with EGT sensors by default. The only option for you is to get some thing like this installed (EGT Sensor | eBay) in the exhaust manifold to measure the same. I am not very confident drilling a hole and doing it around turbo, and more over it MAY obstruct the airflow to turbo ( my speculations ).

As a rule of thumb, If you do not see too much of a smoke under sustained WOT, your EGT should be under control, and secondly If rail pressure is under control ( Read as "close to stock" ) as measured by @italia-linea you do not need to worry too much, as in diesel engines more fuel means more EGT.

But again all above are speculative way to find out. I expect tuners to get a workhorse and install EGT sensors and publish data so that we the customers can be at peace.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    1 person likes this.