1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Switchable ECU remaps by Wolf Performance Tuning on my GP

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by MattJ, Oct 7, 2013.

1. MattJ

MattJ

Kochi
    After having a 'handed down' Pete's tuning box, I found it lacking. Then I recently came up on a group based in Kochi who had developed switchable ECU remaps!

A small info on the tuner:

"Rajiv, the brain behind Wolf (wolfmoto.com) started his ECU remap career relatively recently. All his initial work was done on a Skoda VRS (1.8t). Starting with a simple remap of the car he quickly progressed to doing complex remaps. His Eureka moment was when he successfully implemented switchable maps on his VRS. His learning was from a community called Nefmoto (NefMoto - Index) and his entire switch code is available publicly at nefmoto.

Link: Multi map selection using cruz control

You can actually browse through nefmoto to see his growth from Rookie remapper to respected forum member contacted by one and all. He does a lot a work with tuners all over the world helping them implement ‘switch’ for their maps. His highest number of customers are in the UK. The biggest names in the business have contacted him to implement switch for their compay. Most of the maps were developed in collaboration with these UK Tuners. He has worked with the following ECU’s : Bosch me7.1, me7.5, med9, magnetti marelli 6mjf (1.3 md), Nissan/renault 1.5 dci Delphi DDCR

His Indian remapping career started with the remap of his friend's Swift 1.3 DDiS. It took close to 2 months of effort and extensive testing to finally get it fine-tuned on the Swift. This happened almost a year ago and since then he has been working with various vehicles with the 1.3 MJD engine. The latest being Linea and Punto (90 and 75 HP).

The Switch :

Till now the ability to switch a vehicle from normal to Sport mode has been in the realm of the premium cars. The switch gives people the ability to put their cars in various modes depending on the driving condition or state of mind.

Maps are data which the ECU uses to manage the vehicle. Normally when a car is tuned, the tuner modifies the variables of the existing maps to deliver more power. He does not do any custom programming.

However to recode the tuner needs to know the entire ECU code and when a recode is done the he modifies the ECU code itself. This means that with a recode the options available are limitless. Any new functionality can be coded including features like map switch, No lift shift, Launch control etc. The recode also allows the tuner to access functions not available to re-mappers.

Recoding is the best options for vehicles with hardware modifications since it can fully unlock the potential of your upgraded hardware. Custom coding of modified vehicles is a lengthy and complicated work.

At present switchable maps (4 maps including stock) have been implemented for 1.3 MJD and 1.8T in India. Remapping has been done to 1.5 Dci (Renault, Nissan) however switch implementation is in process.
    The switch in the 1.3 MJD is done using tapping the accelerator in Ignition mode.Each tap loads a new map. The map indication is implemented in the temperature gauge. Further on the fly switching is implemented when vehicle is revved beyond 4000 rpm( optional). The switching in 1.8T (Skoda VRS) is implemented using Cruise control button."

My experience, I dropped a mail on their website and got a call by evening. Met them the very next day. They drove my car which had the box and found only slight power increase in the lower RPMs in comparison to the stock and found that power was actually regressive at higher RPMS.
    They wanted to load the remaps the very same day to get me to experience them.
    Took my car at 7pm after 4 hours of reading and writing the codes.

So here is how the maps are switched. In ignition mode you can cycle between stock and 4 diff maps ( map 1 to 4). When you press on the acc, the temp guage will show the diff modes. Check the youtube link below for a demonstration of the same:

This is me testing the car after being remapped with team Wolf.
    wolf.jpg

As of now I am testing the maps for my daily use. They asked me to get back to them with 1-2 weeks of use to fine tune it as per my liking. They will also include a on the fly switch option where it will switch between two select maps when I rev it to a particular rpm ( for eg the switch may occur at 4000rpm).

I drove the car first on the stock which at higher rpms was screaming and crying for power. Then i switched to Map 3 (the power map). Man oh man!
    The difference was just beautiful, I felt the whole change in the car, the power just oozing through each rpm level. Power which was non existent just came right out and I was breezing over 3000 rpms with the car able to deliver more. Map was similar to map 3 with a slight drop in power but a more smoother sound.
    I am currently testing map 1 for daily use test and its a very toned down map with marginal power delivery but on checking the FE it is giving 17 plus (commuting from home to office which used to yield only 14.7 yo 15.3 tops). I can only confirm if this is a economy mode end of day after completing my travel use for a complete day.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2013
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Hmm..Very nice remapping.

I have got one question: If the temperature gauge is fluctuating like that, is it not giving the driver a wrong indication about the engine temperature? Also if the temperature is more than middle line, that means the coolant is used extensively to cool the engine?
  3. What is max EGT with every map?
  4. MattJ

MattJ

Kochi
    @zenwalker this is only for ignition mode, i.e the car isn't cranked...when the car is running it goes back into temp mode. The video i posted has just the car powered on, its not running.
    @Sat-Chit-ananda pardon my ignorance but could you be more specific? Also what is EGT? Heh...sorry.
  5. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    @MattJ,
    Thanks,

So based on the RPM, the selection of tunning changes on run right? Thats kool.
    Please list down the cost and support in future as well as if they do outside state too.
    On the fly switching mapping is one cool thing.
  6. MattJ

MattJ

Kochi
    @zenwalker yeps, an on the fly option lets you switch between two of your best maps. I am not sure if its 2 maps of between the stock and your best map. But I am certain they can customize to how it suits you. Even the rpm can be set. Also being able to switch between moderate to power modes lets you choose depending on where you are driving. Saves up FE when required.
    You can check with remap@wolfmoto.com on the pricing as for me it hasn't been finalized, i am exchanging my old box as well. They will provide all sort of support in terms of providing updates and such.
  7. EGT= exhaust gas temperature. You need to which map is allows you to hold wide open throttle.
    Also new map is it responsive immediately? In my car when ever i get a new map loded it takes minimum of 15 minutes to get settled.
  8. MattJ

MattJ

Kochi
    @Sat-Chit-ananda Yeah the change is immediate :)!
    How can i check on the EGT?
  9. OBD port, you should be testing it with all the maps along with the tuner.
    A high EGT can kill your turbo,your tuner need to whatnis the safe limit.
    2 people like this.
  10. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Sorry for asking this, whats the EGT?

EGT = Exhaust Gas Temperature?