1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

swirls and scratch removal "BY hand"

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by theblack, Mar 7, 2013.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    NOTE: I've found a lot of discussion regarding scratch removers but none detailing how to use products without a machine polisher.
    If this post is still considered inappropriate please move it .
    My car has slight swirl marks all round the body and i'm apprehensive in using a machine polisher so keeping that in mind are there any products available in the market that will help me remove these marks?
    I'm specifically looking for
    1.) products that can be used by hand
    2.) preparation work needed
    3.) How to polish

Please let me know your thoughts on this.
  2. anoop

anoop Superiore

@theblack

Are you specifically looking for product recommendations or for techniques? If it is techniques, I think we have covered a lot of it in the detailing thread.
    Most of us here use the by hand method and the products we use are to be used by hand. I think this thread can be merged to the main detailing thread.

I believe I have answerd most of your questions in the detailing thread, if you like to know anything more specific, shoot.

ps: Your car looks superb! Always ready to give you a hand to keep her dress shining :)
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    When Anoop gives you an offer like that - you don't refuse! :)
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks man.
    I will go through that thread again and see if i've missed anything.
    Thanks again

Gurjinder, Actually i dont mind anything helping me with my car.
    More people there are looking after my car, more time i get to spend with my car ;-)
  5. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    Can you post pics of the swirls under a fluorescent light or LED? That would help identify amount of swirling.

Also, swirl removal by hand is a very long process & requires a lot of elbow grease - best done panel by panel. Even then you may not get 100% swirl removal. I presume you have a black car - it will be even more difficult / evident on that colour.

Please remember that after correction you will need to top the panel with a sealant, which will reduce swirl formation to some extent.
  6. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    wow. that's a lot of work
    I will post the pics in sometime but if its so much of work then I'd rather get it done from 3M .
    But my only thing is , so far I've done all detailing myself and wanted a shot at this too :)
  7. Linear

Linear Amatore

Thane
    That's the case with me too. I will be going in for a paint correction (read - getting rid of swirls & minor scratches) before monsoon. I know it's a lot of work - even more than you, since I have a Linea - but I would rather do it myself just for the sheer satisfaction of looking at the beauty after she's done, and be proud that I myself did all that.

That is why I will be going panel by panel. I also have an advantage / disadvantage though - mine is a silver one.

If you're planning to get it done professionally - may I suggest Ultimate Detailerz, since you're in Bangalore? Might work out a tad cheaper than 3M and the guy is a genuine.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  8. anoop

anoop Superiore

@theblack - if you want to get the paint correction done, as rightly pointed out by linear - be ready to sweat out a lot. It takes lot of work to get the perfect no swirl look.
    My personal advice is to go with Ultimate Detailerz for the paint correction - for all ther other detailing, we can go the DIY way.

To get a flawless look, you need to see how much swirls and imperfections are there, then you need to use a cutting compound if needed - you need to use the correct grit and have to make sure that you do not cut more than required. Once you do the cutting, you need to follow it up with a good polish, wax and then sealant.
    1 person likes this.