1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Suzuki to use 1.6L MJD for new SX4

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amit, Jun 28, 2011.

1. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Today TDI is just a moniker. A name for VW's range of diesel engines. The complete term is TDI CR. CR stands for Common Rail.

I wonder how many times i've said this on TFI.

By classic definition TDI - Turbocharged Direct Injection. Even the Multijet is TDI by this definition - It is Turbocharged with Direct Injection. All modern diesels are Direct Injection today

Indirect Injection diesels are a thing of history now.

Please read up before posting.

Gurjinder.
  2. gurjinder you may be correct.The JTD(unijet Turbo diesel) is the second generation MJD,as seen in the Punto EVO.
    AS REGARDS READING POSTS,I WOULD SURELY DO THAT.BUT PLEASE CHECK UP THE ENGINE PRACTICALLY FOR YOURSELF BEFORE CLAIMING THE OTHER PERSON TO BE ABSOLUTELY WRONG,I HAVE SEEN A TDI(LAURA) ENGINE AND A MJD(PALIO MULTIJET ENGINE) opened up completely and reassembled at a local mechanics shop,who previously worked for SWAPNA FIAT dealership ,orissa.MJD injection is as i said "swirl in".So,dont mind but i wont buy your claim:)
    REGARDS,
    Dieselhead

gurjinder check out the Sarpanch 575Turbodi producing 52 hp
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2011
  3. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    @Diesel .. I think there is a slight variation here.."The JTD(unijet Turbo diesel) is the second generation MJD,as seen in the Punto EVO". I think the MultiJet name is used in the second generation JTD common rail units . ( Ref Link here )
  4. True Cinju,
    A new generation JTD engine, Multijet II was introduced in Fiat Punto Evo in 2009.
  5. MihirC

MihirC Amatore

Mumbai
    If im not wrong the only thing holding back FIAT from launching the 1.6 mjd is the gear box which was from the times they had a tie up with GM.....
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  6. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    The current Fiat engine plant is very much capable of producing the entire range of mjd engines as and when Fiat decides. They can comfortably assemble them from ckd kits without much change. That is how plants are built nowadays.
    I agree with mihirc that Fiat doesnt want to mess up again with the 1.6. It is going to be a true blue one with a matching Fiats own gearbox releasing in 2012. It was under severe testing sometime back and must be on the way to production.

Abdul
  7. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Great discussion for water that may flow or simply stagnate. For the result, we need to wait till 2013. The report says: The Japanese automaker has been buying 2.0-litre diesel engines from Fiat Powertrain Technologies since 2006 for the SX4 made in Hungary. Did this 2.0-litre diesel engines from Fiat Powertrain Technologies make it to Indian SX4 to turn Suzuki into a behemoth? No it did not.

Suzuki is going to buy the engine from Fiat and not build it, like they are doing it for 1.3. "The engine will be made by Fiat at its Pratola Serra plant near Avellino, southern Italy, and delivered to Suzuki's plant in Hungary." Will Suzuki bring a fully built up engine into India and plonk it into SX4, raising the costs, is much too conjectural. Whether or not their is an agreement or MoU to deliver such engines into India, there is no information or confirmation on that.

I agree that Fiat must bring in 1.6 to compete, but one can't forget how the world is moving towards smaller engines with higher output. I would rather see them bringing in multi-air on a small platform and build base from there.
  8. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    I dont know when FIAT will woke up from its sleep. I dont know why they dont even release some info about future releases to build up some excitement. Now giving the trump card 1.6MJD to suzuki. What a pathetic move :(
  9. sharma_sanjeevin

sharma_sanjeevin Regolare

Mumbai
    Thanks Amit Bhai :)
    This is a News to me atleast, i thought that the 1.3 MJD is 100% localised. FIAT should have localised the Engine 100% by now, whats wrong there ?

@MihirC, you are correct with respect to the Gearbox for the 1.6 MJD which was under development. But this news is almost 1 year old regarding the Gearbox, is it still under development ? Why cant they introduce the gearbox which is currently being used for 1.6 MJD Linea in the other International Markets..!! Cant understand their thought process.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  10. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    The 2.0L MJD for the SX4 or even for the Linea would be an overkill for India. The 1.6L, on the other hand, will be THE perfect engine in 2013/14 for the new SX4. If anything it will be 3 years too late as the SX4 segment has already moved onto 1.5 & 1.6L diesels.

Maruti-Suzuki need to get a fully built up engine from Italy. If Fiat India starts manufacturing the engine here, why can't the deal be extended so that Maruti-Suzuki can buy the engine directly from Fiat India? Fiat India had anyway offered to sell the 1.3L engines to Maruti from it's Ranjangaon plant a few months back as per newspaper reports.

I know this is all speculation but we are under-estimating the importance of Maruti-Suzuki & the Indian market for Suzuki, Japan. This is their biggest market in the world, everywhere else Suzuki is too small a player for competition to even be bothered about them. This is their home turf and you bring out your best weapons to defend your home turf.

I read in ACI that the old gearbox was developed alongwith GM and Fiat feels it does not do full justice to the 1.6 MJD hence Fiat is developing it own all new gearbox for this engine.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011