1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Suzuki to use 1.6L MJD for new SX4

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amit, Jun 28, 2011.

1. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    These FIAT people have lost there minds !! :A
  2. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    The 1.6L is an existing engine isn't it? Read whats written again:

I hope you get the context and relativity point now.I think there is a serious problem of people understanding simple sentences here.

Anyway, what do I know?! I am not going to argue with an expert.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  3. Existing engine in india amit!
    You know what it costs to bring assembly setup bots in CBU from Italy,now please dont say that even that can be fabricated over here.It means some serious investment by Fiat-India.Though I agree that a giant like Fiat wont mind investing Huge sums overseas,but what they need in return is Sales,without which this investment makes no sense at all.The evident sales figures of Linea 1.3MJD shows us how well the 1.6MJD will be receprocated by Indian customers(pun intended:D).
    Regarding my ability to understand English,i shall take up English Perception classes very soon(meant it in a lighter sense).:D
  4. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Instead of playing with existing plant for 1.6 MJD, why dont they import 1.6MJD engine like TJET Engine?

I think it will make more sense. :)
  5. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I know what it costs. I am from the automotive industry too. Fiat has made serious investments in India and simply put, if they want to be a big player here, they have to make bigger investments. Fiat has no choice but to get the 1.6 in India. One reason why Linea sales are falling is because competition has moved onto bigger 1.5 & 1.6L engines. If 3,000 people every month are willing to put money into a Vento 1.6 then why wouldn't they put the same (or even lesser) money into a Linea 1.6 with more features from the innovators of modern day diesel engines?

Pushed with their back to the walls, Fiat has no choice but to lead and blitz their way through the Indian car scene.
  6. Well amit TDI technology(VW Vento,new fiesta diesel) is simply agricultural.You know Mahindra Sarpanch runs using the same technology.As mentioned earlier bigger TDI engines are inviting trouble,since the development of MJD.MJDs are meant to produce more power in a smaller engine,Do you know that the same 1.3MJD has a potential of producing in excess of 103 bhp.I visualize Vento owners running hither-thither to get their cars repaired(as we use to, to get the UNO repaired even if it is a minor problem).MJDs even in the lines of the 1.3ltr engine can make a difference in the sales figures,if it is not for the Tata-Fiat JV to hinder with cheaper cars(like the Vista,Manza) that would hardly last 100K of mileage.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Absolutely wrong.

I can safely say that TDI of the VW group as used today is modern as the Multijet in its implementation. TDI is a moniker for of VW group's range of diesel engines.

All of Audi's, VW's, Skoda's diesels today are TDI CR . CR standing for common rail.

Just look at the diverse range of VW group's TDI engines . Ranging from the tiny 3-cylinder 1.2 litre TDI to the gargantuan 6 litre V12 TDI which pumps out 500bhp and 1000Nm of torque.

No , its not the same tech as Mahindra Sarpanch.

Prior to TDI CR there was TDI PD , standing for Pumpe Duse , which was abandoned in favour of CR.

Gurjinder.
  8. my dear gurji,DI engines have been there since WW2.Even the Sherman tank used in the african war in WW2 uses a TurboDI engine.My brother at AVL,on a project to Bosch confirmed it Gurjinder.As for the sarpanch,i have been driven in one many a times.My father works for Agriculture board Orissa,and that gives me a chance to go through the details of these agricultural beasts.CRdi and PDtech engines are DI derivations dear.There is no change in the injection system,the MJD has a swirl in ("S") injection into the cylinders.
  9. sharma_sanjeevin

sharma_sanjeevin Regolare

Mumbai
    Interesting discussion going on this thread..!! Amit, has the localisation process started at FIAT India for the 1.6 MJD ? any information.

It is High time FIAT to bring out the 1.6 MJD, as the competition is growing fierce by each passing day. And, if Ford is able to price the New Fiesta way they have priced the Figo, then God bless the competition, although the Gawky looks of the Fiesta is not to everyones taste.
  10. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I agree with gurjinder. The current range of VW group engine's are as modern as any other engine today, MJD included. Sure there maybe minor differences and maybe the MJD could be superior in some aspects but to call the VW engines agricultural is insulting them.

The current engines in the VW, Skoda & Audi cars are all CRdi. PD technology has now been done away with.

Welcome to the thread Sanjeev! :)

Fiat is still struggling trying to get some critical components localised for the 1.3 MJD.