1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Suzuki to use 1.6L MJD for new SX4

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amit, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Rather wait for the 1.9 freemont to come home around 2012 end.Amit getting 1.6 MJDs from avellino to ranjangaon and then to gurgaon attracts CBU taxes.Do you want to see a linea costing 10 lakhs and another costing 15-17 lakhs(but of the same size) and what do you get 105bhp i.e 15bhp extra(you get more installing a tuning box) and some neat torque of around 290NM.Doesnt it sound impractical?As for aftersales it shall be a repeat of the UNO CKD episode by Premier automotives.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Amit, speculation will lead us nowhere.

All you're doing is speculating that this can/will happen or that can/will happen.

All i'm saying is let's wait before rushing to any concusions. Let there exist some concrete agreement stating that MSIL are gonna be entitled to use the 1.6 MJD here.
    Then i'll be at the forefront panning that agreement. But not right now.

Specualtion is better left at Dalal Street. ;)

Gurjinder.
  3. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    I am in no hurry gurjinder. Like Fiat, lets wait till 2013 to 'see' whats going to happen and then react.

No one 'speculated' that Maruti will start selling the Swift with the 1.3 MJD here in India. Even that was happening in Europe. Look what happened and how?!

That's exactly the point of this thread. Warning bells are chiming in Europe. The way the automotive industry works it wouldn't be long before those bells start ringing in India. We cannot have this attitude of 'oh it's happening in Europe and in 2013 and Suzuki cannot manufacture the engine so why worry?' That is a typical reaction of someone sitting in Fiat Ranjangaon!
  4. Amit i agree that but as a regular with fiat, i am sure that suzuki cannot manufacture the engine unless for a complete technology transfer.Keep in mind even if it does fiat doesnt give some of its patents to anyone knocking at its door,like the VGT,CV 1.9(freemont).As for the indian markets we still need FE cars because people here are money savers,not true blue enthusiasts who care for other aspects like safety,ride quality etc.Its the attitude which needs a change to accept such torquey diesels in India.This is the reason the 1.7D and 1.9D could not make a space for itself,though both these engines are wayahead of their time:)As for competition keep waiting for Freemont and Dualogic.
  5. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Why should Suzuki manufacture the engine? Maruti can buy the engine from Fiat India can it not?

The Indian market has accepted the bigger engines already. The entire mid-size segment has moved onto 1.5 & 1.6L engines - Vento, Verna and Fiesta all have bigger engines then Linea. And the Vento with the bigger engine easily outsells the Linea 3:1 every month! How many sales of Linea are now going to crash simply because the other car has a bigger & better engine? As an example, the Fiesta has a 1.5L engine with about 90bhp. Linea has a 1.3L with 91bhp. How many people see these things? There are going to be people who will say 'Oh I liked the Linea but Fiesta has a bigger 1.5L engine so I bought it instead.'
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Amit,:)

You may go through my older posts on TFI and see that i've always commented that the time to introduce the Linea 1.6 MJD 6 speed is now. It's the need of the hour.

I'm not advocating waiting for the Suzuki to launch the 1.6 in India first. I'm just saying that we should be cautious in interpreting what an agreement between the FIAT parent company and Suzuki of europe over buying of engines will mean for us here in India.

Plus, i'm optimistic about future launches. Contrary to your expectations , the 1.6 will be a fine ride. Even the 1.3 MJD is , but to each according to his own!

Since what i'm saying is not going through to you , there's no point for us to continue our debate or atleast me clarifying my stand, i say we'll carry the discussion over if we meet someday.

Cheers.

Gurjinder.
  7. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Who said about the engine coming from Italy to Pune to Gurgaon?!

My statement about the tuning of the 1.6 was sarcastic and out of frustration. What's wrong with people?! It is a fact that the tuning of the current Linea and Punto is not as good as of the Swift & SX4. Why can't we accept facts?

The time for the 1.6 is now. Yes I agree. But there are some problems in localising certain componants that Fiat is facing. Until that is solved, the delay in the 1.6 is going to continue.

8. True amit but how many people have you heard saying so.Instead of spending 12+ in mid-size sedan one would obviously prefer to go for bigger cars like Mahindra Xylo which house meagle engine or one would go for a 2.5vlx crde bolero producing in excess of 95 bhp.Keep watching those Vento owners,they are inviting trouble as VW is known in germany for going into rapid changes in R & D.Once they get in the 2.2Jtd,those TDI(agricultural engines) would feel a distance away in history.Bigger engines come at the cost of Fuel Efficiency.Had it not been a blend of FE and Ride quality,why do you think one would go for a Hatch costing 7+ lakhs,why not go for something bigger having a more powerfull engine.

You want the engines to be built in India?
    Amit bhai the ranjangaon assembly line has to undergo major changes in its setup to do so and that means huge investment.The only way out to get it in 2013 would be CKD with minor components locally sourced,as in case of M&M getting SSangyong Korando.but still that attracts 10% duty.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2011
  9. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    And it will take more then 2 years to make the changes in the set up of an assembly line for a company like Fiat? Small fries like us set up an entire new production line imported from Italy in 1 year. Other companies are going to take 2 years from development of an all new diesel engine from grounds up to launching the car with that engine. And Fiat needs more then 2 years to make changes in assembly line set up for an existing engine?! We were involved in the developement of a small car launched in India by a major international company. It took them 3 years from design till launch. Yes, they had to set the entire assembly line for that car.
  10. Existing engine!,you mean the 1.3 MJD production setup can adjust the 1.6MJDs.Different intake manifold,engine bay,tranny etc in the assembly line?!
    Okay amit you seem to be in no mood to understand what i mean to say.But keep this thread alive,we need more inputs pouring in.:)
    Regards
    Dieselhead