1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Suzuki to use 1.6L MJD for new SX4

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amit, Jun 28, 2011.

1. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Putting this in Fiat India news section so it gets the exposure it deserves.

The one thing that diffrentiated Fiat from the Suzuki's & Tata's so far was the 1.6L MJD. Suzuki, in Europe, was using the 1.3 MJD & the 2.0 MJD for the SX4. Good news was that in India the 2.0 MJD would have been an overkill.

Following VW picking up 19% stake in Suzuki it seemed like Suzuki would move away from Fiat to VW diesel's specially since both VW & Suzuki were making a lot of noises about VW badged Maruti-Suzuki cars in India.

News now is that Suzuki will buy the 1.6L MJD from Fiat to power it's all new SX4 expected to be out in 2013. This engine replaces the 2.0L MJD unit which will not be used for the new SX4.

Fiat Italy will be supply these engine's to Suzuki.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2011/06/27/fiat-suzuki-idUKLDE75Q1O220110627

Before Fiat realises, the SX4 in India will come with a 1.6L MJD. Fiat India will rush in the Linea 1.6L with stupid tuning of the gearbox and turbo and the story will continue as it always has.
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. hope linea comes first with the 1.6 petrol or diesel.
    any option would do.

fiat MSIL does not deserve you give them such quality technology.
    dont do such things. atleast a big no for sx4 1.6mjd in india.
  3. royj

royj Esperto

Trivandrum
    Where is FIAT headed to? :mad:

Ahh I know.. inside the bonnet of every car that will be running in India. :roll:
  4. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    I am sorry but I have to say this. What the ****?

What the hell is going on.

If you check the history FIAT 1.3 MJD engine launched in INDIA with MSIL Swift. Now again FIAT 1.6MJD engine will be launched in india by MSIL in SX4.

After that FIAT will launch 1.6 MJD Linea to compete with SX4 & that will be a flop show.

FIAT wake & launch 1.6 MJD Linea :)
  5. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    That exactly is the point.

It doesn't matter what technology you have. What matter's is who got it here first.

When will Fiat realise this?

Why are they so unsure about their Indian operations?
  6. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    If this is the case FIAT will be known only for their engines in India. I think I should change my personal mentality from "My next upgrade will surely be a FIAT car" to 'My next upgrade will be a FIAT powered car .."
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Guys, calm down.

This engine is for the new car Suzuki is developing at the Hungary plant slated for launch by 2013.

AND , FIAT have not licensed Suzuki to produce the 1.6 MJD on their own.

They will be supplying engines to Suzuki Hungary built by FIAT themselves. How can Suzuki use that engine in the SX4 in India right now? Until and unless Suzuki gets the license to produce this engine themselves, they cannot use it in any car which they desire.

Lets not behave like India TV

Amit, this is not expected from a moderator. You should've thought hard before rushing to a conclusion.

Pessimism even before the engine and gearbox are launched?? Let's not be fortune tellers.

Gurjinder.
  8. correct gurjinder,the 1.6MJD is not a complete technology transfer to Suzuki.developed in avellino and sent to suzukis plant in hungary.As for linea 1.6MJD Elegance,it is not anywhere in fiats plans for an indian premiere:mad:.Rather the 1.3MJD dualogic is somewhere near future:)
    sorry amit but the SX4s' are for european markets as well as for the mid-east.Forget Brazil,they have more than 30 Fiat Variants over there.
    "Had my parents shifted to Brazil":D
  9. amit

amit Superiore

Navi Mumbai
    Nobody said Maruti is going to use the 1.6L MJD for the SX4 in India now. I suggest you read the entire thread again. My post clearly says Suzuki will buy the 1.6L MJD for use in the all new SX4 due out in 2013 in Europe.

Do you think that Suzuki is going to wait till January 1, 2013 to take a call on whether their cars in India should be powered by these engines? How long will it take for the deal to be extended to India?

It's a foregone conclusion that Fiat WILL use the Indian plant for manufacture of the 1.6L engine irrespective of whether any of their Indian products get these engines for not. The plant has a huge capacity of 400K units which is severly under utilised. There is no way Fiat can shy away from having the 1.6L in the Linea.

Besides, why do you feel that Fiat India cannot supply 1.6L MJD's to Maruti for the all new SX4 that will invariably be launched here? If Fiat Italy can sell this engine to Suzuki Hungary, why can't Fiat India sell the same engine to Maruti-Suzuki, Gurgaon?

Do any of you forum members know why? I do. As I said, Fiat india will manufacture the 1.6L here. That is a foregone conclusion. It's not going to happen anytime soon but it will.
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Amit agreed. Before MSIL launch SX4 with 1.6 MJD engine FIAT should take some aggressive descision. If they wait till 2013 then FIAT two very powerful competitors. Honda City Diesel and MSIL SX4 1.6 DDiS.

Wake up FIAT & launch some more cars with powerful yet fuel efficient DIESEL ENGINE