1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Surprising Power Drop, Although Mapped.

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by Harsh, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Hey Guys!
    I have a Multijet 75 Hp Punto.
    It has been mapped almost for a year. The map has given a new dimension to the car...scuttling through city traffic and scorching the highway was much fun.

Recently at 65K kms or so I started witnessing a hard clutch. This was confirmed by SA and the technician at Torrid Motors Mumbai. The clutch change was smooth and quick. Unfortunately the morning which I collected my car post the clutch change, the slave cylinder gave way and the paddle collapsed. I had to call for RSA and get the car towed to Torrid. After the cylinder issue was sorted I collected the car again. Since then I found a noticeable drop in the pick up and performance of the car. Across all maps, there was a stark downgrade in performance. It took some effort to reach 120kmph and post that it felt the car gave up.

Rajiv from wolfmoto, recently logged the car and noted this.

I put the car in FASS 3 days ago for the 75K service. That was done, then the focus was shifted to this issue.
    First the hoses to the turbo were changed, but the technician still found the issue persisting. Later the CRM was involved and he suggested to swap the injectors. This was done too with no desired results. Today morning i spoke to the SA and was updated that the turbo will be swapped out and the car will be checked by being driven using another turbo.

Anyone with a rational explanation for this please help my cause.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    I am not sure but can the AC Compressor be disconnected (belt removed) and then tested. Just one more thing to rule out. Request or order them to do this test.
  3. Okay.. Will put the request but does it really affect the performance so much?
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    Oh in a malfunctioning unit, sure it does. But of-course it does not tally with your experience of loosing steam above 120kmpl. It should be more evident in the lower power band. But surely worth a shot. Will certainly help in singling out the culprit.
  5. the turbo was swapped and was noticed to be failing.

The car will be returned to me tomorrow as the part is not available currently. It will be ordered and when its available the car will be called for working on again.

I hope in the mean while there is not deterrent effect to the heart.
  6. neoonwheels

neoonwheels Amatore

ok, so whe did you remap your car? How many KMs you had clocked by then? I just want to see that the Turbo failure is not related to the remapping. I would most probably remap my car in early Mar when Wolfmoto guys would be here.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Linea 1.3
    @Harsh since swapped is failing again, there is an option of refurbished turbos if it might interest you.
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Is the turbo being replaced under warranty? How was it diagnosed that the Turbo was the culprit?
  9. Hey!

The car has been mapped almost one and half year ago.. 30k+ kms... The reason for this couldn't be pinpointed... But then again the turbo was replaced... The diaphragm was not functioning it seems... The took a turbo plot with my turbo and then with a replacement turbo... So all good now.. The car is back to top notch.
    neoonwheels and asimpleson like this.
  10. kgramesh

kgramesh Amatore

Palakkad, KL
    Linea T-Jet
    By the way, do you follow that idling procedure before shutting off the engine? The most common reason for turbo failure is not idling the engine before shutting off the engine after a long run.
    rakesh kushwaha likes this.