1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sunscreens for windows

Discussion in 'Interiors' started by Ranjeet, Oct 4, 2014.

1. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Anything on the glass is now illegal. Putiing any type of sunfilm even 0% ones are illegal and so is use of any type of sunscreen or curtain.

Sometimes, during peak North Indian summers, one may need to use a sunscreen especially for the co-passengers like parents or children etc. Personally, for this I find the stick on type sunscreens to be the best as you can remove it easily if there are cops.
  2. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    They don't roll down with the windows. The frame is made of some kind of cylindrical metal wire, which will bend only under pressure. The mesh cloth is stiched to it and there are flat round small magnets at 4-5 locations to keep the curtain in place. Since, they dont roll down you can talk to people but cannot take out anything from the windows, however taking out the curtain is a 2 sec job. Practically i rarely need to roll down the window for anything other and verbal communication or the breeze, so i am good

Practically any of the black mesh curtains do not reduce heat, all they do is slightly block the sun rays, thats all. Since this Magnetic Mesh is always on the window the fabric used have bigger holes than the ones you find on the stick on types, so these magnetic ones are not as blocking, but surely they have some protection, increased privacy and yet no issue from the cops. Have been in and around Gurgaon and Delhi and at close calls with the cops, but none stopped me for this

They are effective, but have not tested in hot summers as got them just 3 weeks back.

One disadvantage is that since these cover the entire window, its reduces the visibility of the ORVMs. I do have a plan to only cut the portion which effects the ORVM and stitch it, so that can get best of both the worlds.

Overall at 600.00 i say its worth it and look good also as it seems to be an OEM product, due to the design. They dont make it for the rear windscreen though.
    --- Double Post Merged, Oct 5, 2014 ---
    I agree, however the only challenge i faced was to keep it stored and keep taking out when need be. Also the suction cups are not of the best quality, so takes some efforts to keep it on the glass. The best way is to wet the suction cup side that will stick to the glass and then stick it. Was able to keep it on for a few days this way.
    PaddleShifter likes this.
  3. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Kunwar.g, I have removed the suction cups actually. The sunscreens are big enough to be fitted and supported by the gap between the glass and the door beading or plastic. I will click and post a photo later for better understanding. :p
  4. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    With the kind of strong sunlight we get in Madras through out the year, even a 30 minute drive in a car without sunfilm makes me uncomfortable. With the sunfilm in my car on the entire glass area, the car gets cooler faster and stays cooler, putting less strain on the compressor and the engine. The effect is very pronounced on long day drives.
  5. @kunwar.g how effective are the magnets? Do they hold over bumps? Do you get the Magnetic type for the Rear Boot Glass?
  6. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3

Very effective. Even when you want to take it out, it needs some efforts. While driving it cant be taken out as part of it is stuck between door and body.
    Ideally they can make the magnetic type for rear windscreen, but even after requesting they said that the manufacturer doesnt make it and price of 1 will be equal to a set of 4, so they will not. May if we have atleast 5-6 orders I can go with advance payment and request again.
    arishi likes this.
  7. Amrut.M

Amrut.M Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @kunwar: Any idea where do I get those mesh screens (retail shop/website)? Basically I am from bangalore and am looking for my punto.
  8. kunwar.g

kunwar.g Superiore

Gurgaon
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The shop I bought it from doesnt have an online portal. The other options that I found online was for approx 1600.00. Either ebay or jazzmyride.com. If its still an expensive proposition and you dont find any in Bangalore do let me know, I can check howmuch will it cost to ship to Bangalore. Shall pick it from store and ship to you...if more sets required will be cheaper on shipping as cost will be split up.
  9. C_S

C_S Amatore

Bangalore
    [QUOTE...if more sets required will be cheaper on shipping as cost will be split up.[/QUOTE]

I am interested to buy these, if they fit the for the Linea, and am from Bangalore.
  10. GP_Freak

GP_Freak Amatore

Chennai/Madurai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I am also interested in these and I am from Chennai .Its for my Linea and I need it for all four windows