1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sun Protection Film (SPF)

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by johnny, Apr 30, 2012.

1. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    After reading some of the posts on this subject, I was not inclined to go in for this mod. However, after my last drive to Mumbai which I did over three days, I had a rethink.

I drove during the day, and so, I was on the road during the hot & sunny parts of the day. I use Ray Ban glares during driving, and they protect your eyes very well. When we reached Mumbai, I realised that my wife & I had fairly deep tans on our faces & hands. So, obviously, there was the need to do some IR/UV filtering, especially from the front windshield. I then did some basic research, and decided to install Vcool 70 on the front windshield.

Fortunately for me, just across the road where I am staying in Colaba is "Rhyme 'n Rhythm". TFIans from Mumbai may have heard of this guy. He is a high end auto accessory shop. I walked across one evening & discussed the subject with him. He stocks most of the high end brands including Vcool. He also had a gadget from Huper Optiks which could physically measure three parameters of any film: Visual Light Transmittance (VLT), IR rejection & UV rejection. In view of this, I decided to check out the parameters of the various SPFs before making my final decision. I started with the Vcool 70. It had good IR rejection but VLT was only 66 to 67% (below the RTO stipulated VLT of 70% for the front windshield).

I then checked the Huper Optik C70. Unlike the Vcool which uses metal technology, Huper uses nano ceramic technology, which they claim is superior since it offers "absolutely no interference to GPS/cell phone signals, unlike metal based films." This film also had good IR rejection, but VLT was only 67 to 68%. Then I asked about LLumar Diamond series. The dealer was not very enthusiastic about LLumar because according to him there was significant differences between claimed and actual parameters that could be measured. Anyway, I checked it out and the difference in claimed & actual was around 10%.

He then showed me the SPF from Blaupunkt. The high end film is the Arctic series, and this also uses nano ceramic technology. It comes with a ten year warranty. They have the A75 & the A72 - the A75 having higher VLT. However, according to the dealer the width of A75 was not enough for the front windshield. So I checked out the A72. VLT was 71%, and IR rejection was about 65% (lower than Vcool & Huper). All films had nearly 100% UV rejection. However, the VLT figures for the A72 met the requirement. So, I decided on A72 for the front windshield, and also the four windows. I did not opt for the rear because the installer said that it may cause problems due to the defogger. Incidentally, the RTO figure for the windows is 50%.

The total cost for the front & the four windows came to Rs 14500/=. The installation took a while, and the front had to be redone, since the first film got damaged.

I have used the car during the day & at night. During the day, the car definitely feels cooler. No problems experienced at night so far. I have not checked it out in rains at night - will post a feedback after the monsoons start.

3 people like this.
  2. puntosat

puntosat Superiore

But SC gave an order asking for removal of Sunfilms recently...and has asked the states to take action :)

I think this is riduculous law
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2012
  3. sungoa2010

Around 53% of solar heat is IR. 44% consist of visible light and 3% is UV. Any film with with 99-100% UV reduction is fine as far as health is concerned. Metal are reflectors and so give a cool cabin at the same time interfere with signal and reduce the visible light which is much essential for a clear view. Other options are dybased films which works by absorption principle. They absorb the heat and dissipate it. The main disadvantage with them is that they at extreme heat conditions can give more stress to glass giving rise to cracks. In the new nano ceramic technology the nano particles of size much less than that of light wave length are used to construct the film. Visible light reflection is less but Infrared ray get filtered effectively since the particle size is comparable to IR wavelength.

The shop fellows will use a source that is dominated by infrared rays to demonstrate. So we will get the impression that heat rejection is very effective. but in actual case the effectiveness will be much less. What you have taken is the best option. Always better not to go for less visible films.
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Only those sunfilms which do not fulfill the criteria of 70% visibility at front and rear and 50% for the sides.

As long as you adhere to these numbers, you'll be fine. Just like Johnny Sir has. ;)

5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

I stand corrected. The honourable SC has decided to ban every and all kinds of Sunfilms. Only the manufacturer tinted glasses are allowed , that too within legal limits.

The Linea's glasses say the visibility is 70% minimum. But in reality, they are more like 99% visibility.
    Last edited: May 2, 2012