1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sun-Control Film for Front Windshield

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by amolmane, Nov 28, 2010.

1. amolmane

amolmane Guest

Hi

I have installed Garware Ice-cool Elite to my Punto MJD

I saw many car owners install sun control film on front windshield also.
    Following 3 doubts are there in my mind.

1) Stock Front windshield has already only 75% visibility. Means 25 % coating is there for factory windshield.
    then how it is safe for night & rain ?

2) is it legal to install sun film to front windshield ?

3) If stock windshield has 75% visibility then this visibility might be decreased due to installation of film for
    front windshield.then how Manufacturers claims that no effects on visibility.
  2. HarishSegar

HarishSegar

Mumbai
    Re: Sun-Control Film for Fron Windshield

Amol,

1) Forget cops catching you. The bigger problem is poor visibility. What many do not realise is that with a dark film on the front, you are likely to miss seeing objects on the road. I am referring to objects which are less reflective. You would see the road surface which reflects light though. Most assume that is adequate. Another problem is that with poor visibility, the person would tend to upgrade the headlights and blind everyone else. How sensible is the whole thing?

2) Legally, if i remember correctly, anything over 75% visibility i.e., visible light transmission is permitted. This is with or without film.

3) Manufacturers are here to make a sale. Their data is based on controlled tests environments.

By the way, i have Vkool 70 on my front. I selected this after lot of research and also driving couple of cars which had Vkool 70 installed. Rather than the brightness of the light, i was looking for dark objects during my research. If i cannot see a stone early, that film is out of my list. I havent tried the Garware Ice cool brand though.
  3. shree

shree

Bangalore

Bumping up old thread. I am thinking of putting sun control film for front wind shield of my linea. Need your help in clearing some of the doubts

* Can Harish(anybody else who is using front windshield) share their experience.
    - Does it create visibility problem/doubts in mind when driving in a road during rainy night without street lights :).

* Does anybody have any experience/info on Huper Optics Klar 70 film. How does it compare with VKool 70 film
    http://padmininano.com/
  4. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida

I would actually recommend getting the front Windhield done with the best Sun Control Film (with in ur respective budget). There are numerous advantages of it. I would actually go to the point that, even if you dnt get the side windows done, get the front windshield done.

No Visibility problem, its a myth created out of nowhere. It actually increases your visibility , and that too specially at night and also wothout street lights at highways as well. I have VKool 70 installed for mine and my dad's car both. My dad used to face problems with the visiblity with his old car as he never had any sunfilm on the front. But since he has got it with the new car, no visibility problems. Reasons being, VKool 70 not only protects from the sun but it also reduces the glare to the max possible. Earlier My dad used to compalin that he cant see when theres on coming traffic and the lights flashing, now theres no problem at all. And thers is perfect vision for all conditions, day, night, highways, rain.

Also, the max heat in the car comes from the front, because of the size and the way the front windshield is put on. So putting a sunfilm, would even reduce that as well. It also protcts ur dashboard from fading by reducing UV and IR rays

For comparison of various sunfilms, go to this link. It has all the comparisons
    viewtopic.php?f=52&t=1416
  5. shree

shree

Bangalore

Thanks ansal for the comprehensive sun film spreadsheet. From the spreadsheet Vkool-70 seems to be better than Huper Optic Klar-70 wrt heat(TSER). Good to hear that you are seeing significant benefit of the film during night driving. I was avoiding front shield film just because of night visibility. How much did you pay for V-Kool 70.

Does anybody know best place to install V-Kool in Bangalore.
  6. Re: Sun-Control Film for Fron Windshield

3M CR70 looks good and value for money at Rs. 5500 to Rs. 6500
    TSER is 59 percent whereas Vkool70 is 55 percent and cost approx Rs.9,000 to Rs. 12,000
  7. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida

So you guys decided which ones are you going for ??
  8. shree

shree

Bangalore

I am in confusion to go for vkool 70 or 3m cr70. I am looking for somebody who has experience in both from point of heat reduction. I heard 3m TSER spec is based on limited range of wavelength, because of which it has higher number. Do you have any experience/information.
  9. ansal11

ansal11 Esperto

Noida

I havent used 3m cr70 so cant say much on my experience. But, from what i gathered during the research i did, VKool was recommended more often than not becuase of better overall performance.
  10. ratanshivi

ratanshivi Regolare

Mald (East)

Hey Mumbai Guys!!

Please feel free to call me Or Andy and we can get it done for you at a reasonable rate! BTW it does not reduce the visibilty but saves you from the glitter at noght from the oncoming headlights!!

Cell:- 9820455114