1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Summer = More AC usage = Less power = :( Please help!

Discussion in 'Technical' started by meples, Apr 21, 2014.

1. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Hi,

I recently got dropped off from a party in my friend's Hyundai Eon. Impressive little car it is and what really impressed me was the fact that we were five of us in it (AC on all the time) and it puttered around beautifully well. My point here is, I wouldn't be so confident in my Punto 1.2 with five people inside it with full AC on, driving around town effortlessly. It's a different matter that I'm a new driver, but my Punto with only 2 people inside and AC switched on feels like a huge dead load. So what I want to ask you is -

1. Is it a normal for all Puntos (or any car) or the 1.2 to lose power when the AC is switched on? It didn't feel that way in the Eon.

2. I know the 1.2 FIRE engine (specifically speaking) is the weaker of the lot. But it's got more power that the puny Eon. So why does it feel so sluggish with the AC on?

3. With the onset of summers the use of AC will definitely increase (the case with all of us). So are there any hacks/tips/methods that I can apply to efficiently use my AC without losing power?

I have Googled the topic up and found a few good reads on (rather) how to cool your car quickly during the intense summer heat (links below):

How do you cool down a hot interior?

HowStuffWorks "How to Cool Your Vehicle Quickly During the Intense Summer Heat and Reduce Your Carbon Emissions"
    Cool Down a Scorching Car as Quickly as Possible

I love my car otherwise and have been fairly happy driving it :)

Looking forward to your replies guys.
  2. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    1. Even in my 90hp, i feel a bit lag/powered when AC is on but not dead sluggish. I mean if i can move the car in 2nd gear, with AC i have to switch to 1st to pull it up other wise a definite stall. So i always try to keep at less speed. It works for me.

2. Engine itself doesnt stand alone my friend, The body weight, size as well matters too.

3. Not sure if you can tune the petrol engines unlike diesel counterparts. May be experts can throw in some light.
  3. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    @zenwalker, thanks for your inputs.

Agree with you on the second point. Eon's power to weight ratio is 75 hp/tonne versus Punto 1.2's 59 hp/tonne (if I'm right).
  4. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Well I own a Eon too and it does suffer from huge power loss when AC is ON and if that car is fully loaded its a mess to drive in B2B traffic conditions and AC isn't great either for people sitting on back seat.
    Haven't driven Punto 1.2 much so can't compare but Punto shouldn't be different as Punto have a bigger AC, more weight to carry and bigger tires than EON.
  5. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    To answer your queries serially.
    1) A lot depends on which gear do you switch on the Ac. If its first to third gears, the loss of power will be distinctly felt when AC is switched on. Hence it is always better to switch on the AC once a desired speed is reached.
    2) Was the AC in Eon switched on immediately after the car was started?
    3) The best way to optimize Ac usage is before switching the AC on remove the hot air inside the cabin with the help of blowers and then switch the AC on. Optimize the blower settings so that the power is not compromised but at the same enjoy the AC.
  6. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    I second ghodlur, almost all car will feel a bit sluggish due to usage of A/c. Its the wise choice of gear which will help you during that period.
  7. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    @ghodlur, @vijay @pabhishek
    I still don't know a lot about my car and cars in general. The questions I posed might have sounded stupid to a lot of people here.
    So thanks for replying to them.
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    @Mepals

It depends upon weight,power to weight ratio,gear ratio etc.

Korean & Japanese car have tall gear ratio for maniac acceleration only.
    Korean & Jap car run fast only on flat highway. In Ghat section (hilly area) they loose its steam as soons as you get brake in momentum

Euro cars have short gear ratio.
    They are made for drivability & min.gear changes. So in fiat car only 4th & 5th gear you will get strong acceleration. In ghat section if there is any cut in momentum you have to hardly change the gear if you are below 1500 RPM.

I have tried Petrol 1.2 GP.
    In fact I found it is stronger than 1.4 GP & 1.4 Linea with 3 adults & air-con ON.

Lag in acceleration & flat spot may get due to bad quality petrol.
    If you put air-con ON situation becomes more bad due to bad petrol.
    Even my old M Alto 800 was giving problem of poor throttle response at Air-Con ON.
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  9. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2

@Bhai, really appreciate your response. I'm still a new driver and every day is a new experience in my GP. While I'm loving the most of it, a few things like loss of power immediately after switching on the AC is apparent. But as most of you have pointed out it's a common occurrence across models. So I'm not very much worried right now. I will remember your point about bad quality petrol. I have been refilling at Shell (normal petrol) since the last two times and I plan to stick with it from now on.
  10. XLR8er

XLR8er Amatore

Pune
    Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I have to agree about the cars being sluggish when AC is on. Few days ago I was on E-way in my Punto MJD 90hp, coming to Pune. At The Lonavala ghat section I wasn't getting much of a torque because of the slope. So turned the AC off and it made the difference.

Well, TBH the difference is not that much. In time you will learn to keep her in good revs. Enjoy the car and don't feel bad if the car stalls. Trust me I have had my share of stalling. :D
    Best of luck mate.