1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Suggestions to remove Scratches!

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by raajravi17, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Ok Manilruben let me try in a small area first. will let you know the results.
  2. anoop

anoop Superiore

@Manilruben: It is not as easy as it sounds. 500 grit sand paper is very harsh.

@raaj: IF (and only IF) you really want to try DIY, get a good rubbing compound and 1000\1200 grit and 2000 grit sand paper for wet sanding. Wet sand the area first with 1000\1200 grit sand paper and then follow it up with 2000 grit. once you smooth out the area, use the rubbing compound and rub in different angles, and finish it off by rubbing in smooth circular motion. Then, once you are done with the rubbing (once the scratches are not really visible), follow it up with a good wax.

But I am not sure a rubbing compound can fix most of your scratches - I feel many of these scratches are really deep and have exposed the metal surface. IMHO, it will be better to get professional help to fix it.

If I were in your shoes, I will decide to get professional help, and after getting the quotes and deciding where to get the car fixed, I will try DIY. In this way, I do not really have to worry about DIY spoiling the paint finish ;)
  3. I tried with 3m, they showed me a demo and they were able to remove the minor scratches. 70 - 80 % of the scratchs are removed in tht particular area. They sd if you want to do a similar work it ll cost you Rs 3150. Painting two doors costs Rs 8000 with tax. Confused now:confused:
  4. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Regolare

after looking at the pics I would suggest get this done by a local body paint shop. you cant claim insurance in most of these scratches

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  5. Hi..
    your scratches are too deep:(.. Need to paint it... but the problem with Tuscan wine is you need to paint the whole part... if you do a patch up it shows .... i have experienced this in my Linea:A... Better go to a proper shop who had done this color before... other option is now Tuscan Wine color spray ( Value pack costs Rs.400/-) is now available with com paint.
    Anyway for your scratches you have to paint.. so better try it with com paint value pack..( Guess color matching would not be a issue with com paint spray..) if it works.. it should solve your problem... and of course many of our (Tuscan wine owners) problem...
    Dent removal can be done using house hold tools (Go to any local garage and see how do they remove the dent - you would be shocked and surprised :eek: ) .. unless you need to make contours which requires some skill... ... Once you remove the dent, luppam or putty is applied (available in car paint shops) and allowed to dry. Using a 1000 grit or 1200 grit wet emery the putty applied area is polished to get a smooth finish, then a base coat spray (available in the form of can spray these days in paint shops) should be applied followed by the value pack spray (appropriate color) and finally a clear coat lacquer........vol-la.. you are done...:grin:...

the quote of Rs.8000/- is way too high...
    I got my front Bumper, LHS Front door, LHS Rear door and Rear bumper repainted completely for Rs.2500/- ....
    ... do not go to Service centers.. they charge you heavily....
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  6. My punto has a bad scratch below the rear left door. I went to Reliance Autozone looking for a DIY kit. The com paint stuff in stock was not available for exotica red.
    Has anyone done this on red punto? I am yet to take the car to the service centre.
  7. Hello ibsr,

Rs 2500 for 2 doors and bumper wow thts a steel i guess. I have enquirend in different shops, even a local painter noone has given me a quote for two doors less than 7K. I dont want to give it outside coz in future if there is an color mismatch we cant go back to them. But in showroom even the price is bit more we can always go back to them. Also i heard that if we paint outside for cheaper price, after 6 months it will be seen like a rough patch itseems is tht true?
  8. i went to the Service Centre and got a pretty bad patch below the LHS Rear door painted for 2500. pbly was on the costlier side but that patch was an eye sore.