1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Suggestions Required- Chennai-Jog Falls- Goa- Chennai Road Trip

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by nixnarayanan, Sep 10, 2014.

1. nixnarayanan

nixnarayanan Timido

chennai
    Hi Fellow TFIans,

2 of us are planning to drive down to Goa via Jog Falls from Chennai during 01st Oct- 05th Oct 2014. We intend to start from Chennai(Porur) by 1430 Hrs on 01st Oct and plan is to visit Jog Falls on 02nd Oct early morning. Need your advice on route/pit stops all the way long as it is going to be an over night drive to Jog.

Could any one provide with suggestions on which route to opt for considering that we will be reaching the NICE Road latest by 2130 Hrs on 01st October?
  2. sreedhara_bj

sreedhara_bj Amatore

Bangalore
    Hi Narayanan,

Here are my suggestions.

a) NICE road - Nelamangala - Tumkur - Tiptur - Birur - Shimoga - Sagar - Joga
    b) NICE road - Nelamangala - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Channagiri - Shimoga - Sagar - Joga.

Route #b is 6 laned till Chitradurga and 2 lane towards Shimoga. But since you are driving @ night that too during long weekend,expect huge rush near toll booths. You will encounter total 5 toll booths after crossing NICE road. Also traffic will be less from Channagriri - Shimoga road. One has to be careful in this stretch. Eateries are also less (i would say nil).

I would suggest route #a. It will pass through major places like Tiptur/Arasikere/Birur, you will get enough vehicles for company and many small/big dhabas/eateries all along. Road condition is excellent but with only 2 lanes. This route will be 30KMs lesser than route #b.

You will reach Joga by 7. You can have breakfast there or you can have it in Sagar (25 KMS before).

But don't expect to get accommodation anywhere near because of 2 reasons -

1 - long weekend
    2 - Rajanikant is shooting for a movie "Linga". Around 800 people have come there as supporting staff. So they have booked all available lodges around Sagar/Siddapur for next 1 month.

After visiting Joga, you can continue in NH207 towards Honnavar and Goa from there.

By the way my native is Sagar, even I will be travelling on Oct 1st evening :). I plan to start by 1500 Hrs.

Let me know if you need more info.
    limraj and nixnarayanan like this.
  3. vanandwiz

vanandwiz Amatore

Chennai
    Did a Chennai - Badami - Jog - Chennai, visit three weeks back. Stayed at Badami & Sirsi... gate crashed both the places.

Jog - Shimoga: very good roads; occasional speedbreakers. Watch out for speed guns before entering Shimoga. I was stopped; checked my DL and left off!! my lucky stars.
    Shimoga - Chitradurga: good roads, but initially narrow two lane road with medium traffic.
    Chitradurga - Bangalore: was a breeze; did a steady 160 till Tumkur. I have also travelled by Arsikere route. I think Shimoga - Chitradurga - Bangalore was easier.
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    As sreedhara_bj suggested you stick to route 1. The start time if advanced to noon would be perfect. You would cross Bangalore late evening and then you can stop over at one of the many eateries between Bangalore and Tumkur. There is a CCD just after crossing Arasikere if you require a break. The reaching Shimoga by 11 pm should not be an issue and the accommodation too should not be a concern. There are a few hotels near the bus stand which are decent enought just for a stop over.

Also note to refuel at Shimiga itself. Sagara is around 75 kms and leaving shimoga by 6.15 am and a leisurely drive along with a fuel stop should take around 1hr and 15 mins. Have breakfast at Sagar as there are a few hotels. You can have breakfast at Jog too, but its just about average.

Route 1 is more suitable for two reasons.
    1. Decent quality roads throught out with no tolls except for some sections in the Manmane ghats. Lesser traffic as you would be travelling late evening. KSRTC buses will give you company all the way till Shimoga.
    2. The roads are nice and curvy, and our Fiats suits this route to the T.
    PS: Watchout for humps in the village limits.
    nixnarayanan likes this.
  5. nixnarayanan

nixnarayanan Timido

chennai
    Thanks sreedhara_bj ,vanandwiz, nkrishnap for the valuable inputs.

@sreedhara_bj: I will stick on to the Route #a as suggested. Hope there are no surprises during ride at night. Will rest for the night at Shimoga/Bhadaravathi in such case if the lodges/hotel near Sagar/Siddapura/Jog Falls is gonna be full. Could you please let me know decent lodging near this area? Also, if you could help/update on the water level at Jog during that period, that would be wonderful.

@nkrishnap: i wish i could start earlier, but unfortunately will not be able to leave office @ Chennai before 2 PM, so expecting arrival at B'lore Nice Road only by 2130 Hrs (give or take 30 mins).

Meanwhile, are there any speed radars/speed guns throughout roads in Karnataka, like what we have in Kerala?
  6. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    During day time, sometime you will see the Cops with Interceptor near the Kadur/Birur/Tarikere sections. However, since its night, dont worry about it, they are long gone after 4 pm :p
  7. sreedhara_bj

sreedhara_bj Amatore

Bangalore
    I'm not sure on the lodges, but you can find good ones near Shimoga bus stand. You will take Bhadravathi by-pass, so better to stay @ Shimoga.

Regarding water level, it all depends on rain. Nowadays its in full flow, so you can expect Joga falls with full glory.

As suggested by Krishna, there will not be any issue during night. But since its long weekend, expect COPs to make money, so you might find them around Sagar (40-50 KM is the limit I guess), probably till Jog. Make sure to carry all originals, along with Emission Certificate.
  8. nkrishnap

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    The Jog falls is in glory. See this new article from "The Hindu" newspaper here - http://www.thehindu.com/2005/06/23/stories/2005062305070400.htm

The Sharavathi dam is full after so many years. I want to visit Jog and Honnemardu too :) May be I might ride down there this or the next weekend :p
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    First and foremost thing, have all of your car documents ready with you.
    -RC
    -Tax Certificate if any
    -Insurance
    -Pollution Under Control Certificate
    -Drivers License

If you even miss any of this, you should be prepared for the harassment at the border checkpost between Karnataka & Goa.

Coming back to the route, I drove to Goa from Chennai in September last year and took the following route. For return, I planned to drive through Jog Falls but I dropped it.

Onward -> Chennai-Bangalore-Chitradurga-Hubli-Belgaum-Goa (Drove through Chorla ghats)
    Return -> Goa-Karwar-Hubli-Bangalore-Chennai
  10. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I am going to Goa on 27th sep and planned to start at 4 pm. Is it doable on the same day (like to reach around 8 pm), myself and my wife will be driving. I have booked in Resort Terra Paraiso, Calangute. I saw the following two options in google.

#1 Chennai - Nice Road - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Davanagree - Hubli - Dharwad - Ponda - Goa
    #2 Chennai - Nice Road - Tumkur - Chitradurga - Davanagree - Hubli - Dharwad - Belgaum - Goa

Can any one suggest me which route is good and let me know if any other option available.