1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Suggestions on buying Palio 1.6

Discussion in 'Classic and Retro FIAT's' started by bzm, Jun 5, 2014.

1. bzm

bzm

delhi
    Hello frns,

I need a quick suggestion here. I m thinking to purchase fiat palio 1.6 2003 model. The problem it got seems basic but as u guyz are experienced, I would like to get a rough idea of how much will it cost me approximately or is it that I shud buy or no.

The problems are:
    1. The driver seat power window not working. I guess need to repair or change, not sure.

2. AC is working but doesn't have the impact. Its very slow.

3. The car is with ABS and the brakes are loose. What, is it a prob?

4. The car was not running on roads since last 8 to 9 months. Do u think the engine would have got some serious issue?

Moreover I do not know any mechanic whome I can take or send for the car inspection. The car is in greater noida and me in chanakyapuri.

Please help me. What shud i do and whome should I call for help?
  2. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    Where are all the Palio 1.6 owners?? Pls help bzm..
  3. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    palio 1.6 go for it!!
  4. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Bzm welcome to Team FIAT India.
    If you are planning to restore the car and if you have budget to spend on the used car then I would suggest you to buy Palio 1.6.
    If you are buying one then I would request you restore it completely with:

1. New Engine (55,000).
    2. New Suspension Setup. (25,000 including swing arms)
    3. New upgraded break (Palio Advy’s break) (10000)
    4. AC system restoration (depends on the current condition)
    5. New Tyres (can be delayed)
    6. New Battery (Need to be checked)

By the way which variant of Palio 1.6 you are looking for?

If you have budget to spend to restore it then go ahead and buy.

After complete restoration I am pretty sure that Palio will be headturner on Delhi roads.
  5. SHASHANKREDDY

SHASHANKREDDY Superiore

HYDERABAD
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    As suggested by kedar if you are not willing to restore you can consider Palio Stile 1.6 sports Formula Red color. You will get it below 1.5 lacs. I am sure Formula Red stile will be best looker.
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    bzm,

Based on your description, this vehicle will not be niggle free, I guarantee you, you will find more problems in it than what are appearing now. There are couple of factors before you consider a used vehicle. What is your maximum budget to spend within next couple of years. Do you have an experienced person (mechanic) who can offer reliable repairs or upgrades. AC system is a very tricky thing to fix, and nine out of ten people I have spoken to have always been unhappy about the effectiveness of AC in summers especially. Getting it fixed in reasonable money and time is another big headache and the thing working reliably is yet another issue. I will sound negative, but my idea is to make you aware of a car that has 10+ yrs on it.

As per Kedarbendre's suggestion, if you want it as a hobby car and are willing to go the extra lengths on all counts as suggested by him, have not doubt that the car will put a smile on your face and the satisfaction from restoring a car to stock or better is priceless.

The pros of this car is that it is a 1.6 engine and fairly easy to tune and maintain, (if you could provide the ODO details would be better). Rather it asks for very less maintainence. You will need to make sure that the ECU or housing etc. is untampered and in good condition physically atleast. If the wiring is tampered with, that could also be a headache to fix, but nothing big for a Fiat expert technician. Find the right people who could physically help you restore the car mechanically or cosmetically. Help on the forum will be offered I am sure, but somethings need actual physical presence which can be only via an expert mechanic or car technician.

If you are going for the car, please get it checked atleast once on the Examiner at a FASS. Also a host of other tests or checkups can be done at a FASS. Get a detailed report firsthand and then jump for the car.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    2 people like this.
  7. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    bzm please provide more details about the car which you are planning to buy.

Palio stile is much expensive to maintain and it is detuned a lot to cope up with the BSIII norm. Hence bit lesser power delivery and bit high mileage.

At the same time Palio Stile's headlight, taillights, bumpers are too expensive. As you are checking 2003 car I am sure it is not a Stile and its normal Palio.

FYI I recently bought S10 and will be restoring it in next one year aaramse.

Sent from my MK16i using Tapatalk
  8. SX4enthusiast

SX4enthusiast Amatore

Hyderabad
    Dear @bzm,

What I have noticed is that against all of the problems, A/C not working is the biggest problem there. I tmight be just due to the A/C hose pipe mildly leaking which is very cheap or due to the compressor which is very costly to replace.

If it is a single window that's not working, it might be either the switch problem or the motor problem. Since both of these Palio's parts are cheap to find and replace, it is not a major problem.

If the car is with ABS and the brakes are loose, then the best thing to do is to get it inspected by a thorough checkup from FIAT workshop. If it is needed to replace it, replace it immediately since brakes are a very important part of a car.

No, there wouldn't be any serious problems if the car is not running from a long time. But my suggestion is to not strain the engine by maintaining a constant rpm because if you rev an engine hard or maintain a constant rpm, the engine gets strained suddenly which leads to engine problems if it has not run for a long time. Also, get the engine oil changed.

Do check the car only when it is sunny because rain and fog will hide any minor scratches which will appear at sunny weather.

P.S. - You can also PM other members like @BHVM, etc. who own a palio.

Anyways, Wish you good luck on getting it done!

Thanks,
    -SX4enthusiast.
  9. pushkaraj

pushkaraj Amatore

Pune
    I would say , if you can find Pailo 1.6 GTX it will be better compared to other versions
    : GTX was better built compared to other versions - it came with a lots of rubber beading and dressings ( example: rubber strip under front door ) went missing in Other Palio verions
    Instead of 2003 model i will prefer 2001 model , 2001 model of palio was considered as most niggle free , from 2001 to 2004 they tried localization which backfired and produced lots of issues...
  10. sanj

sanj

Delhi
    Hi BZM,

If you are talking about that galaxy black GTX located in greater noida with Delhi registration, I have driven and inspected that car. And I would say, that was the most pathetic 1.6 I have ever driven. Buy it if you can do a complete restoration and pay him only scrap value price. That guy says that he is leaving India and hence want to sell urgently, but I doubt that.

Thanks,
    1 person likes this.