1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Suggestions needed: Munnar/Coorg/Wayanad from Chennai

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by vigneshrace, Sep 7, 2014.

1. vigneshrace

vigneshrace Amatore

Chennai
    Hi TFIans,

A crew of 5 members are planning to visit some hilly areas during the long weekend of OCT 2.We are in dilemma for selecting the place either Munar or Coorg!

Please say about the road conditions from chennai to both the places.

Also, if possible suggest some low cost hotels/cottages to stay!

Finally, please let me know the main places to visit!

We are planning for a 3 day trip in Punto
  2. 5u3zEr0

5u3zEr0 Regolare

Madras
    Linea T-Jet
    I would suggest Munnar over Coorg. It is much more beautiful and most of the roads are in Tamil Madu except for the last leg from Bodi. It is also at a much higher altitude than Coorg and will be much colder, which is generally better for us .

Road condition must be good all the way, it is a four laner upto Dindigul and from there on a two lane road. It is the same road to Kodai. Also it is quicker to get to Munnar.

Munnar is also closer than Coorg and there are many hotel options to choose from.
    vigneshrace and ramjn like this.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Just to add what Subzero has said, another alternate route to Munnar is Chennai-Ulundurpet-Salem-Perundurai-Udumalpet-Maraiyoor-Munnar. You may get a chance to spot wild animals in this route and this is more scenic. I would suggest to take this route for onward and take the Bodi route while returning. This being off season, you should get accommodation at discounted rates.
    vigneshrace likes this.
  4. Sailer_Punter

Sailer_Punter Amatore

Bangalore
    In Oct, Coorg and Munnar are very cold and very very cold respectively. Take your call on what you want..

Coming to roads to Coorg, roads are decent/good till you reach Madikeri. But if you are visiting Talacauvery, Nagarhole, Irupu falls etc, roads leading there are in shambles in most parts due to heavy monsoon (last I checked was a month back) and no hope of repairs by October.
  5. vigneshrace

vigneshrace Amatore

Chennai
    Based on many suggestions, i am finalizing the place to Munnar!

So, please let know the mandatory places to visit in Munnar and assist me for getting a decent hotel
  6. vanandwiz

vanandwiz Amatore

Chennai
    Munnar is a good choice.... Mandatory places are....

1. Mattupatty dam, top station... there are few more sight seeing places enroute.
    2. Eravikulam national park... Anaimudi is located here.
    3. Kolukumalai... you need to hire a jeep from your hotel... or go to Devikulam, you can get jeeps from there....

Devikulam is also good place for lodging.... but still prefer Munnar for lodging.... food options are better in Munnar than at Devikulam

Try hollyhock.... budget accommodation with great view.... it is 1km from pothamedu view point.... http://www.munnar.hollyhockresorts.com/
    The tariff in the website seems to higher than what I paid for two months back... I took one standard & one deluxe for three nights @ Rs 9000 inclusive of tax..... I can assure you that this small resort has great views... but cheaper homestays are available.

try going via theni and returning via udumalpet... or reverse...
    vigneshrace likes this.
  7. pv_krish

pv_krish Regolare

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Just to add to the suggestions, Abad is where I stayed when I visited Munnar. Pretty decent place facing the hill and a water way in between.

Also, you can try Camp Nou. Check for details on the net. It is further away from Munnar but a calm and secluded place.

Be careful while driving as there would be many rivulets and roads might be slippery during this season.

Have a great trip and enjoy your drive.
    vigneshrace likes this.
  8. vigneshrace

vigneshrace Amatore

Chennai
    Hi All,

Based on my friend's request, we have changed the plan from Munnar to WAYANAD.

So, Please let me know the major places to visit in wayand!

Our Plan:
    Oct 2-11am from chennai to Mysore.Stay in Mysore on 2nd night!
    Oct 3&4 in Wayanad and we will start back to chennai on 5th morning!!

Mods:please change the title to Wayand
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    What a twist to the story now.

For Wayanad, it all depends on where you are going to stay. Wayanad is the district in Kerala.
    Major attractions are Banasurasagar Dam, Kuruva Island, Tholpetty Forest safari, Iruppu Falls (it is in Karnataka btw), Thirunelly Temple.

There are many more small places which are not that worth in my opinion. Personally, I prefer to stay around the Thirunelly-Kattikulam area in Wayanad.
    vigneshrace likes this.
  10. vigneshrace

vigneshrace Amatore

Chennai
    Pookkod lake, muthanga forest, soochippara falls, meenmutty falls, edakkal caves, kuruva island, chembra peak, churam, kanthanpara falls, karappuzha dam, banasura sagar dam!

One of my friend shared the above destinations.I dono whether we can cover all these places in two days!

Planning to cover the most as possible!

Anyone have idea on any cheap cottages/hotels in and around wayanad fora group of 4 guys?