1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Suggestions needed for Alloy upgradation

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by shankspatel, Apr 1, 2015.

1. shankspatel

shankspatel Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Hey Guys, I am thinking to upgrade from the stock Grande punto alloys, so i need your expert opinions for the below

1. is there any place in Bangalore where i can exchange my Current alloys with new ones after paying some amount

2. can i upgrade my alloys 16 inch?

3. what all should i consider before upgrading

4. should i upgrade my tyres? the current ones have done only around 14K KMs
  2. varunrtr

varunrtr Esperto

KL-01/ TO
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Go through these threads, you ll be confident enough to take a decision on your own !
    1. https://www.teamfiat.com/threads/aftermarket-alloys-discussions.5963/
    2. https://www.teamfiat.com/threads/98-pcd-alloys.151/

You can put the alloys on sale here in tfi classifieds or even olx or some site. better option than selling it to shop for dirt cheap price.
    Of course you can upgrade to 16", would be a good compromise between comfort and handling. you can even upgrade to 17 but you would have to compromise a bit on ride.
    Your 15" tires will NOT fit on a 16" /17" rim. You WILL have to change tires too !!
  3. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I would like to offer a totally different opinion.
    Mine is a GP Emo Pk with stock 15" alloys. I do a lot of long distance driving (met up with Varun & Co in TVM). Generally NHs are good, and you tend to drive 'fast'. The 'gotcha' comes when you encounter an unmarked speedbreaker, or a pothole (the NHs in Gujarat have plenty of both). With the weight of the car, and the relatively low profile of the tyre, you have chances of damaging the alloy. I have replaced two alloys @ 11k ea! So, if you plan to do this type of driving, I will actually suggest a downsize - 185/70 R14 may be just ideal. I am seriously thinking of doing this.
    However, if looks are the only criterion, then 16 or 17" would be the way to go. As Varun brought out, the larger the alloy dia, worse the ride quality (and greater the chances of alloy damage). Another point to consider is that the larger the dia, greater will be the cost of tyres.
    Regards
    Johnny
  4. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Which tyres(size) are currently used? for indian road conditions ,its always better to have a good profile tyres.
    185/65 R19 (ideal in your case) , 205/60 R15 (for better handling/grip, many TFI members are on these) and 195/65 R15 ( largest dia among all these, might rub the wheel well,not sure).
    Down sizing the rims will add additional costs and effort in disposing the existing alloys.Rather stick to 15" and consider the above options.
  5. vipin.rai

vipin.rai Amatore

Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am using 195/65 R15 profile tyres and I assure that It does not rub the wheel arches even with 4 people on board. One thing, not sure about the pre 2012 cars, as my Punto's suspension was upgraded with 185mm GC fiat height kit.
  6. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    vipin
    Can you post some pics of your ride with those tyres, there are very few on this forum with such upgrade.
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 2, 2015, Original Post Date: Apr 2, 2015 ---
    *185/65 R15
  7. vipin.rai

vipin.rai Amatore

Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    This is the pic I have with 195/65/15 profile with increased fiat height kit suspension

leh-trip-1 281.JPG
  8. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @vipin.rai,
    Are you using the same tyre as steppney? If so, does it fit properly in the wheel well?
    Regards
    Johnny
  9. vipin.rai

vipin.rai Amatore

Delhi NCR
    Grande Punto 1.3
    No, steppney tyre is of original size 195/60/15 with steel rim and other four on use alloy wheel tyres are of 195/65/15.
  10. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Thanks vipin for sharing the pic.
    What are your observations with 65 profile compared to OEM 60 profile.( whats the tyre make)
    1)Ride & Handling---( As people say "Higher the profile , cushioning effect will be more"
    2)Is there any effect on steering effort/feedback
    3)Did you notice any speedo error ( Coz i am on 60 profile and when Speedo is on 100kmph ,GPS (mobile and Garmin) shows 95kmph
    4)Is the ~9mm increase in GC clearly evident ,both from inside and outside of the car

Once I had a chance to look at 65 profile in a workshop and found that there was enough room in the front wheel well but at rear it was touching the wheel well where some plastic protrudes a little further and this tyre scrapped it completely.And the owner also pointed the same think when asked.
    -------------------------------------
    Johnny,
    Placing this 65 profile in boot shouldn't be a problem, I have my spare 195/60 R15 doing fine with more than 10mm gap tru circumference and its just an inch more in width when compared to OEM spare.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015