1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Suggestions invited for Delhi-Mt Abu-Jodhpur-Delhi Road Trip

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by S Mathur, Nov 21, 2015.

1. S Mathur

S Mathur Timido

New Delh
    Hi Folks, I am planning a road trip in my beloved Punto MJD - Del-Mt Abu-Jodhpur -Del with my wife and 3.5 yr old son from 6th - 12th Dec.

I request advisory on highway route, road conditions of NH-8 and NH-14 and stop over points.
  2. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    I would suggest you to include/cover/visit some other place instead of Mount Abu.

Mount Abu is totally over hyped and absolutely passable destination.

You have much better hill stations in north India.

You may consider Jaisalmer instead.

Cheers..

Neel
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @S Mathur

I dont know about the Delhi Jodhpur route, but the Jodhpur Mount Abu road is fantastic. Four lanes road with sparse traffic. Only thing to watch out for are the four legged creatures who think they own the roads and jaywalking is their birth right. 100-120 speeds are easily doable on this stretch. The climb to Mount Abu from Abu Road is a typical ghat section of 21 kms and there are some stretches where your heart will be in your mouth kind of turns.

Have you already booked in Mount Abu and Jodhpur? I stayed at Silver Oaks in Mount Abu and Marwar hotels at Jodhpur. Both good places to stay.
  4. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Absolutely agreed...

Just visited Mount Abu in the last week. Lot of crowd and absolutely no traffic discipline. People were parking their cars on roads in a very adhoc manner as if they own the road. You expect a certain calmness at a hill station which is totally missing in Abu.

Abu can definitely be skipped. :) Visit Kumbhalgarh and Ranakpur instead.
    Ravi_M likes this.
  5. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    +1 for Kumbhalgarh and Ranakpur. If you haven't booked yet at Mt Abu and are considering some changes, you may think of Chittorgarh and Udaipur (unless you already visited those place!s). But, with a 3.5 year old kid, you may not prefer lot of walking around these historical places.
  6. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Hey even I was there last week on the 19th Nov for one night stay. Wish we had met. You rightly said Mount Abu is jam packed with no traffic discipline. Not to hurt anyone's sentiments but Gujarat registered tourist cars were the main culprits when it came to insensible parking manners. As the natives say, the economy of Mount Abu is mainly due to heavy influx of tourists from Gujarat, hence nobody dares to question the wrong parking.

I had visited Ranakpur and will say its a must visit place. The architecture on the Jain temple located right in the middle of the forest is worth a visit.
  7. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    Just missed.. :) I was there in Abu on 17th.
  8. Naughty

Naughty Superiore

Ahmedabad
    You are absolutely right @ghodlur

Even though I am from Gujarat, I totally accept that it's because of Gujarat passing cars there is chaos in Mount Abu.

Though the kind of crowd and rush you have observed in Mount Abu is not Going to be faced by @S Mathur as you both visited during Diwali holidays.

Gujarat being dry state - Mount Abu is nearest hill station within 3 hrs drive with freedom of Alcohol and that's the reason for it being so over hyped.

@S Mathur , believe us.... Mount Abu is totally passable.

For us, If its mount Abu than it has to be only 'hotel colonial Manek Manor'.
    Call the G.M of hotel @ +91 94-14-004704 and give him reference of 'Mr.Neel Shah - Ahmedabad (myself)' and he will offer you best possible rates.

We visit mount Abu twice a year if not more but it's just coz we don't have much options near by.

Lemme know If I can be of any help to you.

Cheers...

Neel
    mangeshtendulkar likes this.