1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Suggestions for body repair

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by navi_tjet, Sep 23, 2013.

1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

RC is needed bro.

I do not have any first hand experience with Sai. As long as any body shop does computerized color matching, proper masking you can't go wrong. Oh wait, there is one more parameter, the tinkering/denting part. J Ravi sir's Linea got some work done around the same areas and we couldn't make out if any body work was done there. Similarly, I got some body work done on my Punto from Bosch car care, Chennai. Work was perfect. I went there based on online reviews. So take your call. :)
  2. navi_tjet

navi_tjet

Bangalore
    Thanks Rohit, Sunil and Driv3r for answering my queries. I really appreciate your keenness to help, and of course other friends who have pitched in with their inputs. My heart is bleeding every time i look at the injuries :(. Hence I would be giving my Jet out for repairs as soon as possible. Carz is the nearest one, so I'll go there on my way to work. I'll follow it up with SC soon and if required FASS too.

I have few more queries - it seems the scratches on the door seemed to have reached the metal and and damaged the metal also. Can the workshop guys take care of that too? I was wondering if getting the door replaced would be better than getting the door tinkered. Does anyone have an idea how much would the full door replacement cost, and is it going to be as good in quality as the stock one? Also, please let me know which one would be better option - repair or replacement?
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    Nothing worse than a brand new car meeting with such an accident. People have already given you a lot of pointers and places to check out. You might also want to get in touch with Pavan Kadam, a fellow member. He has his own workshop and passionately restores vintage cars. I have seen his work and it has always been top notch.

All the best for a quick recovery.

Rajan
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  4. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

Dents always damage metal. If the metal is exposed and starting to rust, even then it can be taken care of. No worries.

If you are going for insurance, go for a new door, but it might be more time and process consuming. Dents are not removed to perfection, they are filled with a body filler/putty and then a layer of primer, base paint, paint and clear coat happens. I have pics for each step, I will try posting it here.
  5. Viny

Viny Esperto

:)
    Total denting and painting would be 4500+3000 as per standard fass rates. RC book is not required if car is newly registered and same is awaited, as accidents can happen at delivery time while taking out of showroom. same job done outside will cost around 3000+2000, using insurance is recommended, this gives entire year open for any minor works out of insurance without worrying about ncb.
    1 person likes this.
  6. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

As far as my knowledge goes, claim cannot be processed without the copy of RC.

Damage can happen from factory to yard too, but then that is covered by transit insurance.

This is my understanding of how insurance works, people can feel free to correct me if am wrong.
  7. navi_tjet

navi_tjet

Bangalore
    Thanks PatchyBoy! Its indeed a nightmare to see such an accident happen to a brand new car. But then all good and bad things come to an end, and so will this. I am trying to figure out what would be the best thing to do for my Jet. I am glad that my friends at TFI are pitching in with the inputs.

Driv3r - I guess the voids created by metal scrapping cannot be rectified 100% but then as described by you, they can be filled in with fillers and painted. I was seeing J Ravi Sir's thread and yes his car was was repainted to perfection. Gives me a lot of hope.

Viny/Driver - I'll have more clarity on insurance claim by tomorrow after I visit Carz. I'll update the thread with the findings.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Viny - Are the rates quoted by you for one panel or for the full job? I was guesstimating the job per panel denting and painting to be around 5K+ taxes, around 1K for rear bumper and around 2.5K for chrome stripe. So in my estimate, it could come closer to 15K for the entire job.
  8. snck

snck Amatore

Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Hi navi tjet, I had visited Sai Colorium more than a month back for some body work and full marks for their tinkering work and colour matching. However I could see some stray paint droplets on adjacent areas and that way finishing could have been better (no major complaints and was not really expecting FASS to do a better job anyway). There is a small cost advantage compared to FASS, but it may not be very significant... May be around 8k for the door + quarter panel in Sai where as in FASS I am expecting the same to cost 4.5k+3.8k+ taxes (12.36%)
  9. navi_tjet

navi_tjet

Bangalore
    Thank you so much for sharing your experience with SC. Every positive experience shared on the thread takes up my faith by a notch. Any ideas on how the stray droplets could be avoided? And can they be rubbed off even if it happens to be there.
  10. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    such damages can be restored to perfection navi. do not worry so much.
    i would not recommend changing the door for two reasons
    1. changed door is easy to make out.
    2. you will have to pay from your pocket as insurance will never agree for changing when it can be dented and fixed.