1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

SUGGESTION REQUIRED - Chennai TO Megamalai, Vagamon

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Mridul, May 25, 2015.

1. Mridul

Mridul Timido

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Guys,

Planning for a 4 day trip with friends in July to Megamalai & Vagamon from Chennai in my white beast.
    Need your suggestions/advice in selecting the route, stay, places to visit etc..
  2. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Megamalai is near Theni and you can take the route Chennai - Trichy - Dindigul - Theni - Megamalai (about 10 to 11 hrs) and from there I believe you need to come back to Theni and then proceed to Kambam - Kumily - Pulmedu - Vagamon (about 4 to 5 hrs).
    Mridul likes this.
  3. Mridul

Mridul Timido

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    how is the road condition & how about the places to visit/stay ?
  4. dhaya76

dhaya76 Amatore

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    My friend (he is from Theni) told me that the roads are not that great and not too many stay available.

I searched in google and got the below link http://www.megamalai.com/index.html
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 2, 2015, Original Post Date: Jun 2, 2015 ---
    One more information passed on to me is that, it is better to take SUV to Megamalai due to road conditions and the inclination of the road, Sedans and Hatch will have a tough time.
    Mridul likes this.
  5. Mridul

Mridul Timido

Chennai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    thanks a lot @dhaya76.. i too came across the same comments.. Planning to go till theni & from there hire a jeep.
  6. Swaminathan Gopalan

Swaminathan Gopalan Timido

Coimbatore
    Hi Guys, Triggering the old post... We are planning to visit Megamalai as a family.Any ideas and suggestions on accommodation? Please post your experience if anyone have ever visited Megamalai.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
  7. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    You got couple of options.

Premium option - http://teabungalows.com/meghamalai/
    Budget option - Travelers Bungalow managed by local panchayat, 94878 50508 (Got contact from Google. Cannot confirm if it is valid)

And btw, what vehicle are you going to use? I highly doubt if Punto/Linea or any other car or sedan can make it to Meghamalai. You will need an SUV. I am always hearing that the road from Chinnamanur to Meghamalai is very very bad.
  8. Swaminathan Gopalan

Swaminathan Gopalan Timido

Coimbatore
    Thanks ramjn. I planned to go in my Linea but heard feedback road is worst after Chinnamanor. So yet to decide on transport,probably by train & jeep from nearby place

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
  9. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Linea is absolute No. Alternately, you can think about driving till Theni and take an alternate vehicle from there.
  10. carl_jhonson

carl_jhonson Amatore

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    I visited Megamalai 1.5 years ago. I went there by TNSTC bus from Chinnamanur. It was a back breaking journey. The road to Megamalai is terrible and don't think they would have laid new roads even after all this time. AFAIK hiring Mahindra Jeeps at Chinnamanur or Theni is difficult. Have never seen a jeep stand at both the places. Please check before you start.