1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Suggest on Hyderabad to Visakhapatnam best route options

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Maddy79, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Will do this trip in a week,kindly suggest:
    Did a lot of Hyd<-->Suryapet<-->Vijayawada<-->Rajahmundry on NH9&NH5, mostly nights to avoid Vijayawada traffic.

1)Never dared to do Hyd-->Suryapet-->Khammam-->Rajahmundry, Had a nightmare back in 2010.Any suggestion on how this route is now.

2)Heard, lane at vijayawada kanakadurga temple is closed and diverted through bypass, which ideally joins NH5 at Ramavarappadu Jn(according to Gmaps).Hope this route isn't easy at night time, Once I happened to detour (directed by my GARMIN PND) and ended up driving via Nuzvid and joined NH5 at Hanuman Jn. Suggest any landmarks for proper directions on this bypass route.

3)Is this a short route to vizag? (getting down NH5 near Yelamanchili road and passing thru Vizag steel city) hope this will skip a toll plaza, Did this back in 2005 on a bike and it was a single lane village route then. Any one from Vizag share your thought.
  2. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

Guntur
    @Maddy79

Lorries into Vijayawada city are allowed only after 11 pm. You can plan to cross Vjy before 11 pm to avoid the traffic.

Alternatively, you can take the road via Guntur, cutting off at Narketpally travel along the Nalagonda road, take a left turn to reach Guntur via Sattenapalle and proceed to NH Road and travel via the Kanaka Durga Varadhi - Benz Circle - Gannavaram - Eluru which can be little time consuming.

At Tadepalligudem, after crossing the by pass, you can either

1. Proceed till Alampuram about a half Km from the exit point of Tadepalligudem and take a left turn to reach Nidadavole - Vijjeswaram - Dowileswaram - Vemagiri Junction (NH Road) and proceed to Vizag.

2. Or you can take a right turn after Tadepalligudem by pass ends proceed 2 kms approx where a road meets on the right side - with a temple at the intersection - take a right turn and proceed straight to Nidadavole.

After crossing the railway gate at Nidadavole - take right turn proceed on the main road till you reach a fly over.

Take left turn and proceed along the fly over and take a U turn to cross the fly over. After crossing the fly over proceed little further and take a left turn after crossing small bridge (Iron Framed - which you cannot miss) take the road till you reach Vijjeswaram Power Plant located on the left side, illuminated brightly.

Take a right turn and proceed till you reach Dowileswaram.

On reaching Dowileswaram, Sir Aurthur Cotton's statue will be there on the right side where you should take right turn to reach Vemagiri Junction on NH. Take left and proceed straight to Vizag.

Road between Vjy to Vizag is good. Do NOT try the newly constructed 4th bridge on the Godavari via Kovvur. Its a two lane road with heavy vehicle traffic.

Toll booths between Rjy - Vizag stretch test your patience. Be prepared.

As mentioned, at Yelamanchili take the road towards Vizag Steel Plant road to avoid the Toll fee of Rs. 55.00 (both ways). Traffic is quite heavy and you would lose time.
    Maddy79 and harryaviator like this.
  3. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @nbvcrao
    Thanks a lot for detailed info.Guess you did this route many times.
    I did that Vijjeswaram route once and awesome that you pointed this route turn by turn :)
    This route will skip a Toll plaza (100/- one way) at Tanuku and save time and distance.

Not just trucks, all the traffic is diverted thru Vijayawada Bypass as the narrow uphill near Kankadurga temple is completely shut for flyover construction. And when I saw the Google Maps it was showing the bypass route from Gollapudi to Ramavarapadu Jn, but when I zoomed this route both in Map & Earth mode a part of road is missing :wideyed: (circled it)
    Can any one help on this, I will be doing this trip very shortly.

Bza Bypass Map.jpg

Got to know that there are three Tolls between Rjy-Vsp (95+95+35 for one way) ,but not sure if its an updated info
    @nbvcrao ,can you confirm on this.
  4. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

Guntur
    @Maddy79

I frequently travel between Rajahmundry - Guntur and Vizag. Trips are more frequent towards Guntur.

Traffic is closed at the temple and the entire traffic is diverted through the Tunnel Road. You will not miss the flow of traffic.

I traveled through the Tunnel road and which connects the BRTS road - joins directly at Eluru Road near Ramavarpadu. You would pass by the hotel "K" and join the NH.

You need to relax before touching the Tunnel road as the traffic would test your patience.;)

The toll plaza at Ravulapalem is likely to be removed as the 4th bridge is operational. I had a terrible time driving on the Gondugolanu-Nallajarla-Kovvur-Rjy stretch recently as my father wanted to see the road condition which he is very familiar with when he was in service.

There are two toll plazas between Vijayawada and Eluru (Toll Rs. 20/- for single journey)

A new toll plaza is coming up at Ungutur, after crossing Bhimadole - if you are travelling from Eluru. Once this is operational, the Ravulapalem would be removed. This, I personally feel, people are taking the Nidadavole road avoiding the tolls.

The road via Nidadavole is smooth till Vijjeswaram and is shorter by 35 kms plus the traffic.

Find the link below related to the list of toll plazas. If you have Android phone, you can download the app.

http://www.nhtis.org/tolllist.htm

All heavy vehicles are diverted from Hanuman Jn via Nuzivid. Police are present at the Junction and diverting the traffic.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 26, 2015 ---
    Check this link. You will have an idea the list of toll plazas and their fees en route.

http://www.nhtis.org/map.htm
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Maddy79 likes this.
  5. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @nbvcrao
    Thanks again

When was the last time you did Gondugolanu-Nallajarla-Kovvur-Rjy stretch with such road condition,hope this route wouldn't be in proper shape anytime soon.
    Googled it and found that toll collection had started on this new bridge from Nov 1st.
    Any clue on Khammam route condition.

Tunnel road, yes my bad, more over the missing section I pointed would be that Tunnel itself.

Is it ok to take that yelamanchali-Steel plant route, Gmaps is hardly showing >15km diffference from NH5, As Iam planning to reach Vsp by 6am or 7am, would the traffic be heavy by then.
    Guess it is hard to do 80-100kmph on this route and that's where we would loose time.

New toll plaza at Ungutur will be a trap for all those doing vijjeswaram route.
  6. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

Guntur
    @Maddy79

It is better you stick to the Vijayawada route as the Suryapet - Khammam - Aswaraopet stretch is bad with pot holes.

For instance, you are touching Vjy around 9-10 pm you would not have any hassles. Traffic would be little less.

I had been on the 4th bridge road on Diwali. It took me 1 hr 30 min (drive was around 3 am on this road) heavy lorry traffic and a toll fee of Rs.51/- for two way, where as the Vijjeswaram stretch took 45 min to reach Tadepalligudem. The drive on this road was around 2 pm. The road towards

The toll is being erected at Ungutur and no notification has been released.

If you are driving in the early hours, I would suggest you take the NH route as you would be paying the toll before entering Vizag. The Steel plant road is isolated and way laying is reported on and off.

Though you are aware of the route sharing the link from Tadepalligudem to Vemagiri.

https://www.here.com/directions/dri...92579,81.79173?map=16.9101,81.75346,13,normal

Yellamanchilli to Vizag Steel Plant

https://www.here.com/directions/dri...5502,83.14446?map=17.65619,82.99866,11,normal
  7. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

Guntur
    And towards Vizag I visited last Sunday.
  8. Maddy79

Maddy79 Amatore

Hyderabad
    Hyderabad
    Grande Punto 1.3
    For my return journey,
    AFAIK, NAD jn & Gajuwaka Jn are traffic jam areas, and remaining stretch right from Seethammadhara could be busy at peak times.
    It would slow down the journey while crossing the city limits itself.
    What will be ideal time to start from vizag (Seethammadhara) & any Good hotel/Dhaba in between Vizag and Rajamundry.