1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sudden thud thud noise EDIT - Loose Lug bolts

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by theblack, Sep 6, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Today I had taken my car out for some work and while returning (at 12AM) I encountered a bending left turn (left curving road) .. Just to see how well my car would grip on the new tyres I took that turn at about 40kmph and almost immediately i started hearing thud thud noise from the left front region. This thud thud is also felt around the center of the car (felt like it was coming from above the metal guard.)
    The moment i heard this noise i stopped the car and did a visual inspection and found nothing out of the ordinary.. The tyre was not punctured i did not find any cracks or any cuts on the wheel..
    I even looked at the under chassis and nothing was visible.
    I am very very sure i did not hit a rock nor go over a hump/ditch hard ..(It was all smooth driving till then)

After this incident even at low speed 20-30kmph i started to hear this noise..Since my place was just about 1.5km i drove slowly but i was able to hear this noise constantly.
    Any ideas what could have happened?
    Now i'm scared to take the car out (Dont know what has happened).

Is there a possibility that the spigot rings might have cracked?
    Please advice :(
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Could be the elastic pads Shams, Do you hear Thud whenever there are undulations on road?
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

For starters, see if the wheel lug nuts are tight. Happened with me on the Palio as one lug nut just fell off. The wheel got loosened and i felt the same noise.

If lug nuts are fine, then i'm afraid a visit to TASS may be due.
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    Grande Punto 1.3
    get an underbody wash,may be silly answer....
  5. I concur with Gurji, I too faced this issue couple of time earlier and couldn't reproduce in front of TASS folks.
    But it eventually got resolved when I went for shock absorber overhaul with Harsih.in your case it may be the former but Harish is the right guy to fix it.
  6. maverick

maverick Amatore

Could be an issue with the link rod, get it checked and tightened if neededd
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Yeah you guys are right... this is a weird problem I'm facing right now...
    On Wednesday night i faced this issue for the first time without knowing what to do i went back home and in the morning after the response hinted at a possible nut issue i checked and found out that the left front wheel had horribly loose nuts .. I was baffled but then said 'fine' and tightened it...
    here started the story...

Yesterday morning i tightened the nuts till it couldnt turn anymore and took the car out in the evening..
    Just after covering another 13kms the same shudder started to reapper and this time i got really surprised...
    How can this happen twice? in a matter of 1 day?
    Either the nut has not sat in the groove cleanly or there is something else more serious to look at..

To my dismay i had not put the jack/spanner back into the car after my moring round of fixing things, so had to travel 11kms back home get the spanner and travel 11 again to reach the place..
    This time i didn't want any problems so i simply swapped it with my spare wheel (stock ) and drove back home..

After that i've not had issues till now...
    Now my concern is had the nuts been wrongly tightened? If so any damange to the grooves?
    I observed the grooves and could not find anything ...
    Also this problem is surfacing only on the left front wheel no where else.. So i'm having to believe that the nuts given by OZ racing are fine its just that the fitment was wrong..
    Please advice
  8. royj

royj Esperto

I know you have checked this post on bolt dimensions before.
    From the conversation I had with you, my understanding is, you need to get a bolt with slightly smaller head diameter and / or different taper so that it goes in through the holes in the alloys. Rest of the dimensions need to be exactly the same. Length also you need to check if they are sufficient. Once you get the right bolts and put them on, everything will be fine.
    1 person likes this.