1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

sudden stalling of car

Discussion in 'Technical' started by AmeyKhedekar, Dec 14, 2014.

1. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

MH 02
    Mumbai
    Linea Classic
    Dear sir, I am having a seven month old new Fiat Linea classic 1.4litre petrol with odometer reading upto 1245 kms.

Recently while driving on speed breakers by application of half depressing clutch and brake on second gear, I released the clutch after crossing the hump, and my car got jerked 3-4 times and stalled.

I also tried this on third gear by application of half depressing clutch and brake pedals, I released the clutch after crossing the hump, and my car got jerked 3-4 times and stalled.

This has never happened before,

I need to depress accelerator pedal and release clutch slowly so not to stall the car. But before I used to release the clutch quickly without needing to use accelerator , and car engine wouldn’t stall.

Is there any problem with the car? Does the car need to be taken to service center? But it is just seven month old car? What could be the possible fault?

Thanks and regards,

Amey khedekar
  2. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    I don't think there is any problem @AmeyKhedekar , may be your speed is tad too less after crossing the hump that it cant proceed from 2nd.

Though I use to sometimes move from standstill from 2nd gear in my erstwhile 800,indica; I never tried the same in jet. It will stall.
    And I guess it's good practice to move car from lowest gear possible if speed is too low. It reduces the strain on engine and clutch .
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I am not sure I understand you problem perfectly. You need to press brake as the speed breaker appears. You might in most cases need to press clutch pedal simultaneously, so the engine does not stall. As soon as the car moves ahead of the speed breaker you need to down-shift a gear or two sometimes and accelerate again depending on how much you needed to slow down initially. You can always show the SC, but rather ask another expert driver a relative, friend etc. to check the car over a speed breaker. If it stalls always it might be a problem.
    AmeyKhedekar, prabhjot and Ganges like this.
  4. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

MH 02
    Mumbai
    Linea Classic
    Thank you @pabhishek and @asimpleson once again,

My Linea classic has 1.4 litre FIRE engine.

In first gear the Linea max attains 9kph and I always use second gear over humps which is less than 20kph and below 2000 rpm, there were no issues before and I used to quickly release the clutch, but from last 3 days, I needed to slowly release the clutch with application of the accelerator and the engine would not stall.

This doesn’t happen on flat ground i.e. when not on speed breakers.

The sudden stall of the engine has got me worried.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Like I said it looks like an RPM drop, perhaps natural. But just to rule out odd issues, you could ask another driver who could confirm your doubts. Only after that it would be advisable to show the SC if doubt persists.
  6. AmeyKhedekar

AmeyKhedekar Amatore

MH 02
    Mumbai
    Linea Classic
    my friend who is an experienced driver said there are no issues with the car. but i should not use half clutch, but fully depressed always using it. but my driving instructor is the one who told me to use half clutch always. :arghh::wtf:
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Driving instructor is wrong, the only funda of half-clutch is while releasing and accelerating slowly on a slope, so as to not knock into some cars or individuals in near striking distance. In which case one can use a hand-brake and should not be ashamed of using a stone for the car to prevent moving back (very dangerous again), given that there is no hill-start assist.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    @AmeyKhedekar , your driving instructor deserves admission in a driving school.

Show, your car to SC, God forbid but I suspect that one of the teeth (The teeth are basically transverse ridges formed due to alternate groves on both sides of the ridges looking some what similar to freewheel of the bicycle over which the chain runs. I don't know, what's the correct technical word for these teeth, ) of the gear wheel which are present on the its circumference might have broken due to unscientific technique of braking the car.
    Half Clutch means engine(similar wheel is present on the engine, ridges of this wheel get engaged with the grooves of the gearwheel & vice versa whenever the clutch is in fully released and gear is engaged) was still pulling the gearwheel ahead and the application of the brake 'little hard' might have applied forces against the forward movement of the gearwheel leading to breaking of the tooth.
    Ideally,while running, if the clutch is pressed fully, the gearwheel detaches fully from the engine, thus practically though the engine is running, it doesn't pull the car ahead & the car runs only because of the existing momentum. This momentum is easy to stop or break with the brake.
    In short, clutch is nothing but a 'engine' s brake ' while brake is a 'remaining car's brake ' You need to use them judiciously so as to avoid damage to each other.

images-3.jpeg
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
    dadasaheb and AmeyKhedekar like this.