1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

sudden loud Krrk noise from left front

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by theblack, Mar 12, 2012.

1. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Hi All,

Today while driving over a hump I had the left front wheel on the hump while the right front was on level ground and was turning left into the hump suddenly I heard a very loud Krrk
    noise from the left front side below the wheel arches.

Just to test if this was a one off event when i encountered another hump I turned left exactly as before and i heard the same noise.
    Any idea what is wrong ?

To add to the mystery I didnt find anything unusual in driving or braking .
    Also i didn't hear this noise when i went over other humps with both wheels on at the same time. I didnt even hear this noise when i turned left on level roads.
    I took very hard left turns as well on certain roads and this noise did not come at all.

Any ideas , Please advice.

This didn't feel like a "link rod" issues as that would make a Thud‚Äč noise.
  2. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    What's the condition of Drive shaft boot? Any leakage, Check the drive shaft.
  3. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Is there any way i can check that myself before taking it to the ASS.
    Any DIY to figure out that the drive shaft might have gone bad?
  4. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Do you have mudflaps? Maybe they are hitting ( quite common).
  5. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    No I dont have mud flaps..
    I'm getting a bit worried now especially since there was a hint at the drive shaft .
    Any ideas?
  6. teky

teky Esperto

Chennai
    Check if the boot cover is torn and grease is leaking on the side where noise is originating. Did the underbody take any hit recently? Any damage to the engine guard making it to scrape?

edit - Do you also get this noise whilst going over pothole or undulations on road?
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  7. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    No there is no such noise when i run over potholes.

There was a minor scrape of the engine guard steel plating a few days ago but it was no where close to a major issue , it was a mild brush thats all..

Will check.. really pray nothing like that has happened because of a minor scrape
  8. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    check the elastic pads on your suspensions
  9. theblack

theblack Esperto

Bangalore
    Well i have some updates..
    I took the car to concorde bangalore today and did a TD on all bumpy roads. That noise never occurred and now I'm baffled.
    It was definitely a loud noise i could hear just yesterday but today i tried everything i know and drove over every pothole in bangalore turned the wheel in every direction, still no sound :(
    I even asked the mechanic to check for grease leak and there was none.
    hmm any ideas?
    Reason been i checked extended warranty on my car and "drive shaft" is covered in it. So i can get it replaced for free if anything has happened.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 PM ----------

The mechanic also said that if it is a drive shaft issue it will be quite evident as the noise it makes will persist and not drain out that easily.