1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sudden loss of power

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by nand_nand, Apr 18, 2016.

1. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    I might be facing this issue.
    For the last 1 week or so, during incline with AC ON, I find the car coming to a stop, unable to go up. I have to raise the rpm with clutch on and push it up. Or switch OFF AC and raise rpm.
    Also, sometimes I get a feeling that I have released the accelerator for a moment, though it would be in the same pressed position as it was before.
    I do not remember when the EGR was cleaned in my car. I guess it was about 40-45k kms before.
    Should I try cleaning the EGR?
  2. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Some help is needed on analyzing the following behaviour of my Linea mjd during a 400 km trip yesterday:

I was following a lead car (maruti 800) at 70-80-90 kmph speed on a good 4-lane road with frequent traffic. I was able to overtake other vehicles, but midway (after covering ~90 kms), it didn't give power to overtake a vehicle. I downshifted to 3rd and then to 2nd, but with rpm reaching 3000, it still didn't pull. Then I slowed and let the traffic pass and then again tried. Finally I stopped and looked inside bonnet with engine ON - nothing abnormal there nor on the instrument panel. Then I out it in gear without turning it OFF and still no pull. Then I stopped the engine for few minutes. Then I started it and drove as usual without any issue.

While returning, I was driving faster (80 to 110) and was overtaking others easily, but again after ~100 km, I faced same problem and it disappeared after I put the engine OFF for few minutes.

During past 2 years, I have observed this kind of behaviour ~3-4 times during long travels, particularly on hot afternoons. But yesterday, It was alarming. Two years ago, I reported frequent loss of pull even in city drive and it was traced to a bulged leaking pipe connected to turbo (I don't remember the details & will have to dig out). The problem got solved at that time.

My car is due for its routine service by end of this month (completing 4 years) and the extended warranty (total 50 months) will end after two months.

I request experienced and wise members of the forum to guide me on following issues:

1.What could be the reason of the problems presented above? Has it any link to hot weather these days? (The temperature meter needle was always at middle.)
    2.What all should be done during this service such that some items are covered under extended warranty? (I shall refer to the service book anyway)
    3. My car is reaching 40k kms (within few 100 kms) - any special thing to be done, from your experience? Battery was replaced last year.

Thanx in advance.
    --- Double Post Merged, May 22, 2016 ---
    Please note a possible confusion in the 5th line of second para - "I put it in gear without turning it OFF and still no pull". I don't mean that car didn't move, it moved but the normal pick-up in 2nd & 3rd gear wasn't there.
  3. vaibhavc

vaibhavc Amatore

Goa
    Hi Ravi,
    I had somewhat similar experience with my car, but the loss of power was not for more than a second or so. In fact i used to feel slight loss of power and it used to disappear immediately without any significant loss of pickup but i could feel the loss of pull for that brief period. The problem was more so in the morning. ASS fellows could not even sense that there was power loss as the problem used to appear very briefly and that too not very frequently. Finally one fine day when i had taken the vehicle for suspension check-up i could see some oil leakage and the problem was located to the cracked turbo pipe. After changing the pipe the problem has not occurred again.

But your case appears to be bit more serious. Check if the vehicle is giving black smoke.
  4. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Hey Fellow,

Can you comment on the problem reported and in general about service on completing 4 years and ~40 k kms before we go on one month's vacation?
  5. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    I got my EGR cleaned (at 81,000 km) and the issue is gone. Cost me 3K at a workshop outside FASS (heard the price at FASS is 3500 + tax).
    PradeepM likes this.
  6. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    @limraj, thanx for this update. I had read the issue in your post. I shall get EGR checked.
  7. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    Update on the issue:

As mentioned before, this Saturday (May 28), I took my Linea for its 5th service to FASS (1st at 5000 km and then every year - 2013, 2014, 2015, since it couldn't complete the km steps of 15K, 30K and 45K kms in time) . I was under the impression that they would treat this one as the 60K km service and change Timing Chain etc., but I was told that some items are only km-based such as Timing Chain and they shall change it on completing 60 K kms. They only changed all oils and filters (some on completing 12 months and some on completing 24 months). These were engine oil, gear oil, power-steering oil and brake oil and engine-oil filter, air-filter and pollen-filter (for AC). I found that appropriate.

Coming to the power-loss issue, I asked the SA about EGR cleaning and solenoid valve. They checked the engine using the scanner and it promptly showed "EGR Valve" error. The SA 'CLEARED' the error and suggested that this may solve the problem, but if problem persists, we shall scan again and then check EGR. On insisting to check this as my EW expires in 2 months, he agreed to check EGR and I am going to take the car to FASS again tomorrow. The SA told that it would take a whole day, so I plan to spend my day there and get as much to share with you as possible.

Can experienced members give some advise on this? I am reading other threads on similar issue, such as the one on EGR solenoid valve. Maybe the MODS feel like merging different threads on common issue?

By the way, I have been using my car since the power-loss incident 10 days ago, and haven't noticed that again so far. But I haven't taken any longish trip too. Anything to check for signs of ensuing failure in order to get attended under EW during next two months?

Hoping to get comments before we go in hibernation!!
    --- Double Post Merged, May 30, 2016 ---
    By the way, for this 5th service I had to spend Rs 11k. Is it OK? Yes, I replaced wipers too (Rs 1600 for the pair).
  8. Shyam Sundar Nijgal

Shyam Sundar Nijgal Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Ravi, when my Linea MJD had this issue three months ago, I tried EGR cleaning, y worked for about 400kms and the same issue popped up. ( around 2000-3000rpm in any gear)

Since I travel heavily on highways, I decided to go for a remap and got it done. The EGR was deleted. Since March, I have covered around 30k kms With the remap, I've never faced any issues at all. Twice the engine check light came on for a second and disappeared.

I also tried to drive with a disconnected EGR, and the response from the engine was just awesome.

Mine is a 2011 Linea MJD done 87k
    Dinesh Kumar likes this.
  9. Ravi_M

Ravi_M Regolare

Indore
    Indore
    Linea 1.3
    I got the EGR cleaned yesterday. There was some muck in the pipe that is attached to the back side of engine and in the EGR (removable part) too, but probably not as much as other members have shown with pictures. The solenoid valve was fine. Apparently, I didn't find any noticeable change during test drive for ~10-15 km, but I hadn't expected it. The SA told that finding this much muck was normal and cleaning EGR will help in pick-up. Now I shall make few longish trips to test if the power loss issue still exists. I paid Rs 1270/- for EGR cleaning. Is it OK?
  10. Shyam Sundar Nijgal

Shyam Sundar Nijgal Timido

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Ravi, I tried getting the EGR cleaned and took a TD on nice road from Vecto till Mysore Road. It didn't solve the issue. Then I asked him to disconnect the EGR, and took the same TD. The car pulled beautifully. That's when I decided for a remap and EGR deletion.