1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sudden loss of power

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by nand_nand, Apr 18, 2016.

1. nand_nand

nand_nand Amatore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi All,

My Punto is 4 years old and I have clocked upto 35k till now. Though I mostly drive in highway and less on cities. Recently for the past 3 to 4 months I have a issue - when I shift from 4th gear to 5th gear there will be a jerk in the steering wheel and there wont be enough power to pull but after few seconds the car will start pulling (I can feel the turbo boost) and after that everything becomes normal. This happens when AC is switched on.

I have reported this issue several times to KHT, but they clean my air filter and say problem will go. They kept my car for two days and told me they did a long drive on my car and everything is perfect. I asked them to check turbo and turbo hose they said everything is normal. Even today when I was driving to office while shifting from 4th to 5th gear the jerk happened but within few seconds the problem vanished car is back to normal. As this issue happens once in a while I am not sure how to show this to KHT.

Need expert advise here on what needs to be checked. As I have done only 35k I don't know if cleaning EGR will help. After some struggle I got appointment with KHT again this week. So any information on what needs to be checked will be useful.
    I have extended warranty till June 13th 2016.

Thanks in advance,
    Nanda
  2. Havenot

Havenot Timido

Punjab
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Dear Nand , can you please share rpm at which this issue is happening. have you changed battery recently ??
  3. nand_nand

nand_nand Amatore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The RPM reading will be somewhere between 2500 to 3000 when i shift from 4th gear to 5th gear.. So if I am correct the turbo kicks in at 2500 rpm..
    --- Double Post Merged, Apr 19, 2016, Original Post Date: Apr 19, 2016 ---
    Adding to my previous comment, I have not changed my battery.. It is been four years.. I kept asking the service center they said battery has gone down but I can still push for sometime as there is no warning popping up on MID.. Is this related to old battery? Not sure how battery will be related to this issue.
  4. abhiiceman

abhiiceman Amatore

Bangalore
    I face this similar issue in first gear actually with the ac on I.e when i try to move from standstill there will be a power loss for 2sec or so then I will press the clutch to stop it from stalling then on the second attend it'll be back to normal. This will occur occasionally and its very annoying when it occurs on a incline

Sent from my AO5510 using Tapatalk
  5. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    Check for clutch switch error, if there is one for it, get it changed or else most probably problem with egr. You can disconnect egr for few days and ignore engine error and check it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
  6. nand_nanda

nand_nanda Timido

Finally I got it corrected.. First issue was egr.. There were so much of muck inside egr.. I was really surprised that my car had done 35k and I could see so much of black muck.. Got that cleaned.. Then went for test drive.. It improved a bit but still I could not feel the turbo boost.. I requested the service engineer and he also felt the same.. Then they tried changing the entire air filter assembly which includes air muscle sensor and air filter.. With another car air filter assembly the car was pulling fine.. This is to rule out turbo or turbo hose issue.. Then they tried all permutation combination.. And the culprit is air muscle sensor.. Replaced that as well.. But that is not covered under extended warranty.. It costs 4.2k..once I installed the new air muscle sensor I started feeling the turbo again..

All done at kht bangalore..

IMAG2108_1.jpg

IMAG2110.jpg
  7. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @nand_nanda great to hear KHT resolved the issue. EGR causes more issues than any good. If there was no Environment norm, this is the first part to be removed in diesel cars :p Is this Air muscle sensor same as Air mass sensor?
  8. nand_nanda

nand_nanda Timido

@Deepak Yes..It is called air flow meter sensor..This will be present in most of the diesel cars.. It controls the amount of air entering the engine.. This is present in the air filter assembly.. The filtered air enters the air flow meter and then to the engine.. I told about this problem to KHT twice.. Two times they kept the car for two days and said issue is not seen.. This time I stayed there and looked into what they are doing.. Actually I know the technician there and some mechanics are good.. So the entire process took over a day to complete..
    The failure of the sensor is still unknown.. Is it due to wear and tear ? I am not sure as my car has completed only 35k in four years and some cars have done 1lakh+ kms with same sensor running..

airflowmeter.jpg
    Dinesh Kumar, PradeepM, Iyu and 2 others like this.
  9. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    @nand_nanda: thanks for the info. Dint you try with cleaning air flow sensor? Replacement was required? To prolong MAF sensor’s performance and lifespan, clean it either every time you change the oil, every six months, or every time you clean or change your air filter.
  10. nand_nanda

nand_nanda Timido

Actually there is nothing to clean.. It is not a filter.. The sensor was faulty..

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    Ravi_M and Deepak like this.