1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sudden loss of power while overtaking

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Rituraj, Jan 14, 2013.

1. reggaerahul

reggaerahul Novizio

Pune, Maharashtra
    I have been feeling similar things with my Palio MJD. Earlier, I would observe this phenomena of drop in acceleration whenever I take her out for highway trip but it used to happen once and only once at the start of the trip and after a spirited drive of 100-200 kms, the car would feel more lively and the problem would vanish for next thousands of kms. Searching on this thread I assumed that this is common for ECU learned Diesel engine when shifting from city to highway driving and removing that extra carbon built up through spirited drive is a best thing to do.

However, the frequency of the issue has increased remarkably recently.

- When I put it in 4th gear at around 2500 rpm, car would reach 80 and would refuse to go any further. I can feel this for 5-10 seconds (I usually lower the speed, downshift, push it harder and it may vanish)
    - Put a new airfilter yesterday. Felt peppy at start but after driving for sometime, I could feel the same problem. Btw, my airintake hose pipe keeps coming off from time to time and I keep putting it back, would it have anything to do with it. Showed it to FIAT and the guy said the filter is anyways kept after the intake so no worries, someone in the forum though, said that its not good for the performance as the hot air keeps going in the engine.
    - I have not replaced the diesel filter for last say 12K KMs. Would it have any effect ?
    - Car has clocked 59KKms and I have never done EGR cleaning.
    - Car is running on Mobil Delvac 1 Fully Synthetic Oil.

Any pointers ? I can see that the next thread here talks about EGR cleaning. Will check that out , but some quick questions till then - How much time it takes to clean the EGR, would FIAT do it ? How much do they charge for that ? Along with EGR, I should clean - manifold, inlet and what ?

Thanks in advance.
  2. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Today I felt the power loss again. Was driving at 100KMPH and the RPM was clocking at 2700. Suddenly the RPM fell down to 2300 slowly and I feel the vehicle is slowing down. Then again in 10 seconds the engine picked up and moved ahead with a sudden power surge. Whether there is any issues with Turbo? Whether I need to clean the EGR valve?
  3. PatchyBoy

PatchyBoy Esperto

Bangalore
    That sounds like a typical rev limiter behaviour. True, that the rev limiter is supposed to kick in at a much higher RPM, but wouldn't harm to check that I guess.

Rajan
  4. nishweth

nishweth Amatore

kannur,kerala
    EGR cleanning might help
  5. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Seven months after it first happened, the problem has repeated. Today evening, while driving, I felt this power loss again. No matter which gear, the car just struggled to move forward even in rpms beyond 2000-2500. Of late I have been driving with a faulty fuel pump and it could be because of that.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Faulty fuel pump? Can you elaborate on that.
  7. deba

deba Amatore

Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
    itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Your best choice is you go to the dealership and get your car checked immediatly and thoroughly. Heard the TATA dealership in Dibrugarh have some very good FIAT car technicians.
  8. Rituraj

Rituraj Regolare

Jorhat, Assam
    Please refer to this thread of mine - http://www.teamfiat.co.in/minor-issues-questions/8249-startup-problems.html. I have been experiencing startup issues with my car since many months and finally the TASS have come to the conclusion that it's the fuel pump that is faulty and needs to be replaced. When I last visited the TASS, a new fuel pump was ordered (atleast I was told so). As with most spares, I am still waiting for the same, which is why I had mentioned about the faulty fuel pump.

I have been taking my car to the dealership since many months, those idiots are absolutely clueless. They don't even let me know what errors were detected by the ECU scanner. I will try the Dibrugarh dealership as you suggested. The worst part is that all dealerships in Assam are going to stop attending to Fiat dealerships w.e.f Sept. 30.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  9. deba

deba Amatore

Itanagar, Arunachal Pradesh
    itanagar
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I went there to have the brakepads and steering oil changed for my Indigo CS and during a casual chat they told me that there is this guy who is bascically trained for FIAT cars and said if i had any probs with my Punto he is the man. I guess no harm in trying there once.
    A very good news is that they are openeng a FIAT exclusive dealer in Gauhati but when??? thats the big question. Anyway as we live in the most underprivilaged place (among others) when it comes to automobiles (maybe except for Maruti, TATA and Hyundai who have been kind here) we definately will be the last ones to get a FIAT dealership here :A. Till then you visit the Dibrugarh dealer and i'll visit mine at Itanagar and deal with the indifferent TATA dealership for some more time :thumbs down.
  10. gvikram7969

gvikram7969 Timido

MH 42
    hi guys, i had faced the same problem, but was sorted out. the problem is in the fuel pump relay and nowhere else. you all are requested to change the fuel pump relay in the fuse box near the battery and the problem will be sorted for ever. if in future you face the same problem just change the fuel pump relay. it costs just 150 bucks. do the needful and reply.
    2 people like this.