1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sudden loss of power while overtaking

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Rituraj, Jan 14, 2013.

1. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I am getting same problem in my 90.
    Between 1700-2000 RPM it gives jerks like loss of power-power...loss of power...power like graph of humen ecg.
    After 2000 rpm jerks are disappearing.

I checked turbo intake air suction noise by removing air filter.
    Opened air filter cover. Started engine & kept rpm at 3000
    constant.
    I found that even I keep constant rpm @3000 rpm, noise of air suction varies. It doesn't remain constant. At fix rpm noise of air suction coming through turbo intake pipe should remain constant. But it is varies like problem of 'compressor surge' of turbo
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  2. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai

@bhai, I guess you are running into fuel problem again. Check for diesel, kerosene, petrol in the fuel. Use good fuel and drive hard in lower gears on a highway preferably. The blocks will go away and it will rev freely again. A diesel engine has to be taken to the right revs and not feathered.

Abdul
    2 people like this.
  3. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

The cure will be applied to my Punto tomorrow for sure on Chd-Delhi-Chd trip :-D Let me see if it solves my problem too or not.
  4. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

Ok so today I literally drove like maniac the whole day. Went delhi and came back chd in evening. Engine is really feeling relieved but Iam confused, is it because of the spirited driving or because of the newly acquired tires because from the time I have switched to Yoko DBs, car is feeling free to roll, I mean, it is feeling like car is stress free while accelerating.
    BUT ANYWAYS, the jerky problem is still there, thou jerks are now a lot less. 2000 more kms and 3rd service is arriving. I'll raise this problem at the time of servicing now. No use of banging head here and there at TATA's place :-D They want this magical word 'Service' to work it seems.
  5. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

I think the spirited drive has really transferred my Punto into something else. It is pulling even better now and definitely jerks have calmed down a lot. I guess diesels need a hell lot of exercise than pampering :-D
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    if we reset the ECU and give a shot with spirited driving things might change a bit ?
  7. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    Use diesel additive for a tank once in two months and drive hard.. Driving hard need not mean rash, but take the revs up in the lower gears. Nothing adverse will happen. What ever FIAT may say about additives the fuel available is just not the right stuff and hence we are suffering because of it. If they take away the cleansing option too then our sufferings mount. Your engine will become smooth.

Abdul
    1 person likes this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    any additive name which is more reliable ?
  9. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    I use the one from bharat petroleum. I am not sure of the name, but a good BP bunk will have it. I use it often.

Abdul
    1 person likes this.
  10. sunswape

sunswape Regolare

I have tried that too, my car was then at around 10k kms mark when I reset the ECU. Disconnected the battery for half and hour, then cranked 3-4 times to get rid of any left charge , then connected battery and drove like hell for some 2 days :-D I felt no difference then. So for me this ECU resetting funda did't worked.

- - - Merged Post - - -

The only thing holding me back for using these additives is just because FIAT said a no for these. Else these are tempting me from quite sometime now. Anyways, I have changed my driving style from past 2 weeks, its the 3k m above rpm that is seeing upshifting and car is really transforming because of this. No heaviness, no jerks and its flying/pulling way better then before. Iam happy for now, I just take rpm to around 4k in 3rd some 4-5 times a day and MJD seems to be more than happy for that :-D earlier it was 2.5k mark which usually sees upshifting and only some 3-4 times a week I used to rip my Punto, guess MJD needs some regular thorough exercise rather than supplements LoL
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013