1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Sudden loss of power while overtaking

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Rituraj, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    it is tired,need a service.
    i would say before going to service have a harsh driving(high rpms) for few 100 Kms.
    Have a change in driving style let your ride adapt new driving style.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    This is serious then. If car stalls with AC on i think there is some problem. Get it checked at TASS.
    AC has nothing to do with starting of the car. All the electrical load is completely cut off till the car cranks and engine starts.
  3. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am a bad at driving. While in 4th gear, I will be reaching 2200 but while changing the gear, the meter falls down to 1700 but I will easily catch up with the RPM. Today I had a bit lug while going on the slope (it didn't breath like Asthma patient but a bit slow to move up) but never felt that again.

Hopefully I need to open the bonnet and see whether anything is stuck in any part (air intake duct, etc) because Sunday they swept the leaves on the road and kept it near my car, especially near bonnet and there is a rodent roaming around that area (as in my locality, the parking is only outside home and the street I live in is having lots of tree and it is the fall season too).
  4. mightymaveryk

mightymaveryk Regolare

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Today I entered the elevated expressway in 3rd gear and upshift on the go with RPM rising. I didn't feel the sudden surge or the drop in the pick up or power.
  5. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    If its warranty tthen new but if EW mostly reconditioned.That is followed by 99% of dealers.
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Actually Varin, i dug into this info as much as i can. Below are some of the facts that i understood from Turbo energy Limited people.
    1. A VGT turbo, i.e Linea cannot be reconditioned or repaired. They just cannot open the vanes and calibrate it again.
    2. A FGT turbo, i.e Punto can be easily opened cleaned and packed back using the turbo repair kit.

So Punto can get a reconditioned turbo, but a linea always gets a brand new turbo from the factory. I dont know how did they manage a turbo for you.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    A bit of an update to the jerky performance i was experiencing - Did a 800km or so round trip to Patiala-Delhi-Gurgaon and the highway blast acted like a medicine to the engine.

Constant driving in city had clogged the engine's lungs and it is feeling free and rejuvenated now.

It's a typical diesel engine. Make it work extremely hard and it will be happy. :D
    3 people like this.
  8. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    You the right .

Reconditioned means that they give u Turbo which is reconditioned without any issue as u pointed out or any other not necessarily ur Turbo which conked off.If ur Turbo is beyond repair other piece is given which could be done.
  9. May be you may want to check for EGR and mainfold,after getting them cleaned my car behaves same way on highway as aswell as city.
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    I don't understand ' why this kolavari'
    Many MJD owners including me are in need to clean egr,inlet manifold & pipes to get desired performance.
    I have another xxx brand of diesel engine clocked 57k. Still it is pulling cleanly from idle rpm with aircon on.

I think engines fitted with intercooler in verticle manner has more turbo-lag but due to verticle fitment of intercooler manifold does not clogged easily.
    IC of MJD is fitted horizontal position so oil easily reaches in manifold & problem starts.

In addition to that tunning also imp role in clogging of injectors & ic.
    Peppier engine doesn't require highway exercise as told by Gurujinder.

MJD has linear & smooth power delievery deposits of oil & carbon is earlier than other diesel mill.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013